Replies

• Absolutely possible Tara! I have taught myself English so far and during the whole process of self learning English I have found any opportunity to speak even when I stayed alone. There are a suggestion from a member in EC that I realize it helpful is that, on the one hand, learners may read aloud news paper or texts in English without attention to mistakes in pronunciation etc, on the other hand, learners should listen as much as possible the voice news or conversations in English to improve the accuracy of pronunciation. Gradually, speaking skill shall be upgraded significantly..

• Actually, there aren't anything possibles in the life. Necessity is the mother of inventions , so you can do it if there is no any hesitation.
    How can u learn??
    Although, There alot of methods and technices such internet programs or TV. have to follow they but put in maind what is method that you like.
  • For me , It's completely possible to practise speaking English on your own, as long as, you strive yourself so as to you can reach your goal. Through some simple actions like reading, writting and mainly pronunciation and listening you can develop a cool level of English by yourself. But, just the continuous practice will lead you to the "perfection" and who knows after some period to the fluency. I think that the time and practice are definitively the main character towards the so desired goal: fluency. So, the key-words for me concerning English learning is just TIME AND PRACTICE. So "HANDS TO WORK RIGHT NOW". Don't forget that any learning you had IT WILL LAST FOREVER ;)))

• In my opinion, yea it's possible ... I tried it before. I imagined myself talking with someone. It helped me to increase my speed in talking while I used to take more time to think about what I wanna talk or express. I was arguing with someone in my mind, too. 

• Yes, I did it too... It's a bit funny isn't...
  • This reply was deleted.
    •           Hi Neelusree.1, thank you very much to the web site. Really, I learned some expressions from it. Thanks again.

•         Hy my friends, actually from my experience I will answer the question without any hesitation: yes, it is possible to practise speaking english alone. I followed two techniques to improve my english; the first one is, I used to record my voice while I was reading anything in english, then I listen to what I recoreded to catch my phonetic mistakes, then I rerecord my voice agan, then I was keep doing that till I be satisfied.

The second one is, I used to put a doll in front of me then I tell her many things in english, such as, the stories or the topics which I read, and I used to tell her about my family, my friends, what I like and what I don't like and also what I want to cock and how.......etc. Really, these two techniques not only improved my english, but also encouraged me to speak english in public. My english now is good, sort of.

• Yes you can improve speaking if alone.  One method I show my students is to find short videos with subtitles   Listen carefully not only what the speakers say but also how they say it.  Use the voice recorder on your PC and play your recording to compare with the original.

Also try out 'The Flatmates' in BBC learning English listen and copy the characters by pausing and playing again to copy what and how they speak, again record yourself and compare.

If you can download audio books or read poetry, poetry is great for practising stress, timing and intonation, again record yourself to help improve.

• Thanks a lot, Teacher Mall. Those are great tips.

• Yes I feel it's possible to practice alone. You can speak in front of mirror or u can practice to think that u r in dias so many people r in front of you so prepare ur self that way or u can thought u r an English news presenter so the world see u !!!! Is the idea good or bad ??? :)
This reply was deleted.