I visited several websites and read several articles. Then I found the same ideas on MyEC too. Some people said that we don't need to learn English grammar if we want to improve our speaking ability.

I read an English teacher said that we should forget about the grammar rule, 'burn' our English text books and start to speak.

While the others said that we still need to learn grammar if we want to develop our speaking.

So, what's your opinion, friends? Do we need to learn grammar to improve our speaking ability? And what's the reasons for your answer?

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Hendro, and hi again Mayumi.

Nice to meet you Hendro. I think I have to speak English daily, lol. I hope Skype will back to normal. Thank for your tips Hendro and Mayumi.

• hi all, in my opinion its important to learn grammar becouse ,when you speake with a correct grammar the  ideas which we try to say will reach esey to other persons whom we are speack with. and dont make from grammar reason to prevent you speaking ,in order to aviod this matter you have to speak and try daily with out any fear and seip by seip you can be good in grammar .   

thank you and beast wishes

ali   

• Hi Ali,

I agree with you and all others who support the idea of learning grammar. I just started learning Spanish on my own (just the internet and me, no teachers). I truly was helpless until I found some good grammar explanations.

That's for sure I wasn't able to speak Spanish since I started from the very zero. Now, two weeks after, I can repeat only simple phrases which I began to understand only after learning a bit of the Spanish grammar (!). Before this these words were like a mix of sounds for me, even if I somehow could recognize the roots and guess the approximate meaning of them (!).

You know what? I feel curious about what kind of mistakes I'll make in speach because of my poor Spanish grammar. :D

Ali, another reason why I replied specifically to you were your "beast wishes". Check please the word "beast". :)

No doubts, I wish you all the best! :)

Oksana

• @ Rain, Anele and Nadira

Thank my friends for spending your time and left me some opinions and suggestions. I concluded that you all agree for non native English learner like us, we still need to learn grammar to improve our speaking. Since it gives us confidence by knowing that what we say is correct.

Although, some mistakes that we make when we talk can be accepted too.

• I feel one can any way get around and be understood by poor grammar. yes it would be okay if  the person wants to  be less fluent and master the language.

• Hi Ranu.....   I feel glad knowing how active you become in MyEC ...  For non native English speakers like Mayumi and me, gaining skills in speaking the language takes patience and time.  I personally, am not so fluent in speaking........ (wanna try?  hahaha!)  

I belong to those people who turn their back against the litanies of grammar rules...  I really have no time (actually, I lost the time) to meditate on them.  I was having a hard time constructing my English when I first entered EC.  I discovered my weakness when some prominent figures in EC like Tara, Expector Smith, Nadira, Frank and others corrected my grammars.  The idea of being corrected was helpful but you can't depend on them to correct you always since you are not the only member in EC.

Because of this........I began to find an independent way of guarding myself against possible grammar errors by simply typing a doubtful phrase in the search bar of google.  Similar correct sentences will appear.........From there, you will be assured that your grammar is correct when you write or speak the phrase in a sentence.  I hope you got it!  If not, my page is open for further clarification...........THANKS RANU.  Keep up the good work!

• RAnu my friend, do you really want my opinion on this? me who really don't know how to speak straight English, hehhee! But if you really want I'll do it. Just be careful not to believe me :))

Right now? I'm in favor in to plunge yourself on listening and speaking than spending a lot of your time on grammar books. (that's what I always say to myself but fail to do it sometimes)

From my experience, from all those years I learned English by reading and writing and of course the grammar, I gained a good knowledge of the language. But when it comes to speaking, nah! my tongue got shortened,twisted or if I do speaking gosh it's not what exactly I want to say.

But don't get me wrong Ranu. I'm not against learning the grammar. It's just for me I have enough for the grammar right now. And I believe I can pick up the rest of the grammar rules by listening and practicing it in real. I can read. I can write. I can understand fairly good. Only that I've neglected the listening and speaking part that's why when I speak I hesitate and that hundreds thoughts raging in my mind but can't speak it out right. And the reason?....Not practicing what I've learned. I've been always in passive learning and learning the grammar in books is part of that.

So what I believe for now is that if you are someone who have enough foundation of grammar and able to read and write good English but when speaking is struggling, the best is to start the active aspect of learning the language. First is to listen and listen until if you don't have enough confidence to speak don't speak only listen. WE don't have to force our self, do we? Just speak if you feel ready to speak. In the meantime immerse on listening (but again I'm just a beginner on this method, please bear in mind you know what I mean. I'm still in a stage of transition right now). I'm doing a lot of listening everyday (and little speaking). I said to myself in time, I will be ready for more speaking. But you know something, in two months time of listening I've noticed that my comprehension of spoken English has improved. I've corrected also some of my pronunciation.

Oopps...time's up. I forgot this is not my blog hehehe...Sorry it's very long. I don't even know if I stated above my reasons why I chose what I chose. I'll be back when my mind thinking straight again. OK?

• Lol...when I saw your comment, I said "Wow!" But, of course I need your opinion. You are my first teacher here. And I understand your opinion now. So, the point is that speaking actually is practicing our grammar in practical and spoken way, right?

And instead out focus too much on grammar, we should pay attention first on listening. Got it. Thank Mayumi.

• You got it, Ranu. When could I ever make myself clear in one or two sentences like you just did. hehehe. You summarize what I said very clearly. :)
    • Hi again...I encountered this video today. And maybe this will also bring a light to what I'm trying to say above, hehehe..please comment on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH-i7lOlr_Y&feature=mfu_in_order...

And the tip no. 2 is also great. What do you think?

This reply was deleted.