Can we change BAD character?

Hello all MyEC friends,

Character is brought by nature. There are good and bad in every person. Some of us could realize our BAD character, but hardly could ignore it. If this BAD was getting more critical, this could harm us or spoil our relationship with people. So, my question is..

• Can we change BAD character?
  • If YES, HOW?.........If NO, WHY?

In my own opinion, there are only two steps, willingness and learning.

Note: some of BAD characters could be 

• quick tempered
  • panicky
  • inconsistent
  • revengeful
  • intolerant
  • careless
  • difficult to motivate themselves
  • less empathy
  • hard to admit mistakes
  • and many more.  

This is NOT about HABIT, ATTITUDE or BEHAVIOR. In case of confusion, please read my blog about the definition of them.

Thank you very much for reading and joining this discussion. You could share tips and/or experiences here. I would be glad to hear from you. :)

---------------------

Have a look at this one real story:

A father, who always be angry to every family member whatever they did, right or wrong. He's not as cruel as people saw, but he's just QUICK-TEMPERED. He doesn't really like hit the things or family members body, but just talk with high tone in every situation so often. He learnt how to manage himself not to do it, but years has gone by. This CHARACTER HAS MADE HIM GET FAR FROM HER SONS AND DAUGHTERS. Fortunately he has a patient wife. All that he could do is less talking. At his age, he's a bit late to repent. But, in other way, all the family still love him.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dear all, thanks a lot for your attention. HERE IS MY ANSWER FOR YOU. Click here! A brief explanation about ATTITUDE, BEHAVIOR, HABIT, and CHARACTER. Hope it clarifies my discussion.

Bye for now.. :)

ATTITUDE, BEHAVIOR, HABIT, and CHARACTER
    Dear all, I’ll try to make a brief explanation about those in the title regarding to my discussion “Can we change BAD character?”. Please remember th…
  • I think it's not impossible to change a bad character. Sometimes, an important event can change the character or people can change others character by their behavior or actions.

• Dear all, I will reply all your questions and comments soon. Have a nice day! ^^

• we need to know which one is bad and which one is not

• this subject is not easy to reply, i need to think better about. i will reply very soon.

• In my opinion, we can change our bad characters only then, when we apply full effort from the core of heart to change them.
  • Onee-chan, personally I think it's very hard to change a bad character. However, I think a bad character can be balance with some good deeds. Since everyone has a bad character, no matter how good that person is, I think as long as those bad characters did not harm anyone, I think it is acceptable.

But, is a bad character the same as a bad habit? From your examples, they are more of bad habits rather than character. Please enlighten me, because honestly, I don't like reading psychology books :D :D 

• Estanis, you're absolutely right. Time is the best factor to smoothen bad character. 

Some people might difficult to know their own personalities. Sure, first we have to admit that it's bad character that could harm/damage ourselves. Then, we start to fix/improve it in a way to be a better person, in personality.

Thanks a lot for sharing your opinion. I'm happy to hear from you. :)

• Hi, Onee!

Your question about bad attitude is a bit broad. If I just leave a comment without understanding your point of view, I might write about bad attitude as in unimaginable evil acts. But if you're referring to attitude towards work and team effort, we could change our bad behavior or else we will get sacked! :P  

We should learn to get along with our workmates and perform our duties bestowed by the company. Or if we want to manage our business, the first thing we have to do is to eliminate negative mindset that could prevent us from becoming successful. 

Thank you for inviting to comment on this topic.

Robbie

• Hi Onee,
    It is not easy to change a bad person, may be only change behavioral habits.
    The human must recognizes that he is bad and want to change for the better. Otherwise he cannot be changed. Thanks for Sharing.

This reply was deleted.