Tools Quiz #001

I figure, that instead of posting pictures of tools and their names. It's more interesting to post pictures and then let others to answer the question "How it's called in English?"So I'm the first one to ask this question.What's on picture? Give as exact answer/description as you could. I will tell the correct answer latter.. (Or as correct answer as I could) :P

PS. Although this tool, might not fit too well into Industry category. It certainly belongs to the category of tools. ^_^

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The more exact answer I waited was hook spanner, or hook wrench.
    Since it have combined, a open end wrench and 2 hook wrenches all in one, u could also call it as multi wrench. Also bicycle wrench could be fine, because it probably came together with a bicycle.. although when I found it, it was already used wrench without bicycle so I'm not sure... :)

But just spanner or wrench are good too. :)
  • Karenina, it's not adjustable wrench.

You can use google picture search to see how a adjustable wrench looks like. It looks different. ;)
  • I think I can count your answer as correct, Bob.. Although there is also a more precise way to call it. ;)

Maybe someone would like to try to guess that preciser name? It's logical, Bob already almost gave it away.

Xkalibur, yes this tool is likely used for repairing bicycle. Although now days modern bicycles rarely have this type of lock rings. A decade or two ago, it was very common for bicycle bottom bracket and headset being locked with a ring nut that had notches/slots for this tool. This combination was likely used to save weight.. hexagon nut would weight more.. I think. maybe they still use this, or similar composition for some trekking bikes where also the weight/size of repairing tools is important :)
  • Thank you Hardi. I have seen tools like this used to tighten or loosen a ring of some type which will have a hole or notch for the little hook to fit in to. In the USA such an arrangement is often called a spanner.

In England and in the southern African countries where I've worked any kind of wrench is called a spanner. I also call a spanner something like this with two hooks or pins which will mate with holes on a threaded ring of some kind. So my answer is spanner.

The lower end in the photo also has what I call an open end wrench. These are made to turn hexagonal or square nuts. Because of the spanner part on the top and smaller similar one at the end with the open end wrench, I am going to guess that this tool came with some type of equipment. It seems to be a combination tool for working on something specific from a bicycle as Xkalibur indicated to a saw or maybe a grinder.

Let's try some more tools like this. Thank you.
  • I don't know it's exact name...Presumably, this tools must be used when repairing bicycles..Very unusual shapes it has, except one for nut (screw nut) in the right. Looks like, this tool can also be used to open beer bottles. ))

P.S.
    Very nice game, indeed.
This reply was deleted.