Replies

• I don't know, if this tool could really be used by wheelwright.

It seems, that the round part of the body of this tool must fit into a large "hole". Some thinner rod, or object is inserted in the middle of that hole and will be hold by this tool. The small screw together with wooden handle, is used to center that rod, or object.(center of that large hole) The V shaped block takes care, that it's automatically centered from all other directions..

Maybe this tool could really be used, to build some big wheels. Where it's important that the spokes would hit hub, from correct angle...

It can be a part of some larger tool(workbench) where it fits(rotates) by that round part.. But it can be also a tool, for assembling something.. to insert a long rod in correct angle, to center of a larger hole.. In that case the larger hole have always same diameter while the thinner rods that are inserted, may little differ by sizes.. therefore needs that adjusting screw.
  • I read that this item was used by a wheelwright. It would have been used in the making of wooden spoked wheels like a wagon wheel. I have never found another one for confirmation, so I remain open to any other suggestions. :)

By the way Hardi, your reply was very well thought out. You looked carefully at every part for clues as to how it might work. The large thread as you said could not have much torque applied since the wooden handle could only be turned by hand. Besides the main portion which is the frame I guess, I see the large screw, the small screw, and a V shaped block which seems to already be adjusted against a stop which keeps it from going higher.

I hesitated to post this photo since I could not explain exactly how it worked. Then I decided that it may be fun to try to figure out. If this is a wheelwright tool, I hope we can find a wheelwright or the grandson of one to tell us exactly how it is used.
  • It reminds little tap wrench.. a very unusual tap wrench.

The big screw with strong square-thread, have a handle that doesn't let to put much torque to tighten it..

So I suppose the big power thread isn't meant to squeeze something. Instead it's meant to adjust and withstand linear force and keep the friction minimal(it would be easy and fast to unscrew it)..

But it seems there have been used some little force, to handle the small screw.. by judging the hole on it's head.. either because of force to turn it. Or because of the shape of the rod someone have used to turn it.. So not sure if that screw is just used to adjust, or also for tightening.

• Larger image
This reply was deleted.