Tool Quiz #003

This pair of tools are something no longer used. At least to my knowledge they are not used today. They and similar tools have a very interesting history and used to be found in almost every city or town. Maybe you can give the name of the item or tell us what you think it could have been used for. These were made in several other styles and shapes.

Naturally, hints are allowed if you need some help on this. I am not sure if these were ever made in Asia, but know that there were a good many used in Hong Kong and other major cities in Asia.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• These are spring lancets for bleeding patients. The trigger part is a stiff spring with a razor sharp blade that strikes the patient in the vein when the button is pushed.

The little cup is also for bleeding. See also scarificator, leach and fleam for some scary tools that were used to bleed you back when that was the "cure" for many illnesses. This had mostly been discredited by the 1900's.

You may recall that the first surgeons were the village barbers because they were the only people with a really sharp tool. Take a look at this link and learn a little about the bad old days when medicine was not really medicine yet and someone might just bleed you to death trying to make you feel better. http://www.medicalantiques.com/medical/Scarifications_and_Bleeder_M...
    Antique Bloodletting and Leeching Instruments
    This page of Medical Antiques deals with bloodletting, cupping, and leech related antiques.
  • Thanks for the hint. So the tool might be a knife used to cut a human's body to let the bad blood flow out.
  • This is something that could be used with one of these tools. As you see this is glass and you could also have them made of metal. This is something an individual or a medical doctor might own.
  • Sorry I'm not familiar with this tool. It looks like something from Middle East or Central Asia.
  • These could injure you if they were mishandled, but were intended to be helpful to people. These may be of European manufacture (if not American) and probably date between the 1830's and 1870's.
  • No Hardi, these have nothing to do with any kind of firearm. On these the case is sterling silver and the parts sticking out are spring steel. I can see that you are thinking hard on this one.
  • By knowing that your hobby is making flintlocks.. That fang like thing reminds a trigger of gun. It doesn't look like usual flintlocks, that I can see on pictures found by google..

But I call it as some kind of trigger mechanism.
This reply was deleted.