Whenever I read profiles of members, I ask myself these questions many times1) How do we come to know our English level?2) Why do we set it on our profile?I will let you know later on how I got to know my English level.I know we all have done it on EC. So, share your experience of setting your profileThank in advance :)

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank chitra for your nice advice. I will search advance and fluent members to add them in Skype.
  • I intentionally put the level in my profile to impress myself.

• Chitra

Yes, it is a formal question to be answered by the new member for sign up, but it has some reasons we are discussing to figure them out.

Thank you for your comment.
  • Since the award of advance level in a placement test, I felt guilty for not updating my level. Your comment has reminded me, so I've updated. Members can and actually should update their level, but again what I said earlier that self judgement about their level makes it more interesting, doesn't it? :D

Thank you, sir Josef for this wonderful site.
  • Bear in mind too that members can and actually should update their level as it changes.
  • Dearest sister, Onee

I agree with you that the level set here doesn't prove their English level, but their English writing/speaking prove their English level. thank you so much for your comment.
  • My dearest bro Arif,

I set my English level on profile since the first time I joined EC, October 2014. My English level is based on Level Test here. Though some members and our Mod Expector said that my English has improved a lot, I still do not change it 'cos I think I need to learn more and more......

In my opinion, the level set here doesn't prove their English level, but their English writing/speaking prove their English level, people do mark it. We tend to trust the fluent ones or native speakers, but actually I ALWAYS REFER to book and the variety of resources. 

If a member is fluent, English native speaker and a teacher....we surely could trust his/her English as the pole/standard.

Thanks for your great discussion. Sure, I didn't read all these comments. :))

• English level should be determined not only by written English but also colloquial one. One should be able to articulate knowledge as well as experiences in such way that English speakers can understand and relate to. English is a very difficult language to master. Knowing culture and history will help a lot.  I have lived in this country for a long time but still struggle with the language spoken by locals. I would like to learn more of political terms spoken by TV anchors

• Chuck, thank you for the comment.

• I have to include the information of my score because it is a requierement. I think it s good for them. But I don´t care. My score is my reality. I think I am one of the best teachers and If a can´t fullfil the expectations of others. What can I do? Look for another institution. and that´s all. Nowadays, I am a University teacher. I have a job. and I´m happy-

This reply was deleted.