How do you feel about homework? Do you think teachers should give homework every night? Should elementary school children have homework? In some countries, parents are trying to ban homework. Many parents think children should have the freedom to explore, discover, and read for pleasure after school. Some teachers agree. Other people think reviewing lessons after school is an important stage of learning and preparing kids for the workforce. 

What do you think? We received this question via twitter today! 

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think as a teacher we should give the students some guided home work so that they can practice and understand easily.

• Teachers cannot coverup all lessons within limited time in classrooms.That occasion homework will give them more knowledge and help them to practice.

• To my mind there is a need of good communication when  two person together put efforts  to  achieve  a particular task.So if we talk about student and teacher  usually   there  is only  one way communication  i.e only teacher lecture .It is not effective way ,but if the teacher teach and give the homework to student to solve the similar type of questions  that taught  in class ,then student will invest time in it and try to solve it  and he came across several problems which could be discussed with the teacher the next day .  This is  the two way communication and it's very effective .

Secondly this makes a good projection in the memory  of the student about the particular topic  when he do same thing in class and the home and student  could remember it longer .

Thirdly teacher came to know whether students are able to grasp whatever is taught in the class .If the students do not perform well then teachers are also blamed .

So i think that's why teachers love to  give homework to the students 

DataField Online Customer Supporting System
  • aside from those mention before me.. I wanted to share a story.. During my first months of teaching as I was so lazy I don't really give homework till one of my student ask me, teacher why are you not giving homework.. my answer was because I want you to go home have time for your self, school is built for us to learn with our teachers and when you go outside its time to explore on your own. and his answer was something I never expect from a 7 year old boy...

"I don't like homework too, but the only question I got from mom and dad every night is if I have a homework, if I don't have they will go straight to their home office and work... I don't exist to them without a homework"

I was really so surprise, asked him what he mean..

and this is what he told me that made me thinkin until now. "My mom only tucks me to bed if I lie that I have a reading homework and wanted her to read it for me, if I tell her that its not a homework she will tell me I can do it on my own.. and my dad only talks to me if I pretend that I can't understand the math problem. but teacher I already run out of make believe homework so I was wondering if it's okay to give me one"

all I'm saying is that there are thousands of reason that we can think as to why students don't like homework, there are hundreds of reasons as to why they want one.. BUT those reason that we don't know are reasons that might mean a lot to them. So yes it's ok to give homework once in a while because who knows there are little souls out there who needs it for a diff reason that we might not be able to understand.. :)

• This is a very interesting response about the homework question. When the weather is nice out, my kids are so busy with their friends after school that I don't see much of them. They come in for dinner and go back out until bath time.  Homework time is sometimes the only time I see them after school. You have given me something to think about! 

• Hi!

In my opinion, homework is very necessary for students. Firstly, it helps us to remember what we have learnt at school in a long time. When we meet some problems in our homework, we try to remember what our teacher taught us. By this way, we never forget knowledge. Secondly, we don't have much time to learn at school, doing homework at home helps us to find more solutions to solve our problems in learning. Finally, doing homework helps us to have a good preparation for our examinations. As I know, we meet some tests that have the same format with our homework at some exams. If we meet the tests that we have done, we'll feel more confident and do well. Therefore, teachers should give homework to students.

However, giving homework every night isn't good. Life experiences are also necessary for students, they also need time to play, explore, etc. Teachers shouldn't give homework every night, and they shouldn't give so many homework once time. That makes student feel stressful and disappointed when they can't finish all of their homework.

Now, I'm a student, but I'll be a teacher in the future. I should think more about that. :)

• I think the kids should feel easiness and comfort. So they should be given less and guided homework so that they can do easily and eagerly.

Top 5 Mistakes English Learners Make.doc

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/2386729905?profile=original
  • Yes, it keeps us learning everyday. I hate homework when I was a child, I often make it in the morning before class and copy my friend homework, what a laaazyy child I was. But I've repented, and realised it is important. It teaches us responsibility, trains us to be dilligent. It also saves time in school.

What is not important is to copy what teacher writes in the white/blackboard to your book, I think it is useless, just give the copy.

But what I hate, some teacher gives unnecessary homework, too much, and boring. I think the way teacher makes preparation for the class, is the same for the homework.

Lazy student will not become smart(er) -> because smart is born.
  • Every day Homeworks is too much and will make you feel bored. What any school should do is to minimize the Homeworks and add a revision day every week plus making this day goes more practicle than theoreticle.

I am suggesting as well, making a weekly reward to those students who do their homework. Doesn't matter if they do it wrong or right but if they do it correctly, they can get a bonus reward. So it's a win win thing. The only loser is the one who doesn't do his homeworks whom will get nothing.

The weekly reward can be money, can be a copoun to buy food or a 1 hour free time to play in a video games room made only for those who do their homeworks. The bonus reward can be the double.

I think if you did this, all the students, the A to the C students will work hard.

• According to me homework is important. Why? because by giving homework, actually teacher  help the students to learn more about the lesson and makes the students to learn about the responsibility individually.

This reply was deleted.