• How often and how much do you read in English?
• How do you choose texts/books for reading?
• Share what you gain from reading? Probably you have some really efficient methods to make it rewarding.
• If you feel have some problems with reading, again, share them and perhaps we can solve it together.

Any experience/advice will be appreciated.

A couple of words about how I read. I try to read in English daily. Mostly I read blogs.

I check out blogs of my MyEC friends almost everyday (via RSS, so it's not that difficult). Also I visit the main blog page on MyEC from time to time and read blogs when the beginning made me attracted. Besides, I read some blogs written by native speakers (I do it sporadically) and these days I am reading The Polyglot Project, which was written by people with different backgrounds (some of them also were natives of English).

The main thing in all this is following.

How do you pick up correct patterns of the language (phrases, idioms, styles of speech)?

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• i dont often read english books, when i read book i feel sleepy. i often learn english online, i feel interesting when learning on the internet
    • Hi nguyen ngan,

I also mostly learn online. Since almost everything is translated in English, it's easy to find online whatever you want. And online dictionaries are always at hand! ;)

Thus, it's much easier to study English online and, what is also very important, it's more pleasant. Do you agree? :)

• yes, i agree with u. can u share some web of good learning eng. for me?. thanks
    • Hi again, nguyen ngan! :)

I have several interesting links on my profile page. Hope you'll find there something helpful to keep improving your English.

• Dear Oksana! I'd like to join if you don't mind! Reading English books is very useful. I ask all my students to read and retell fictions and articles. As a teacher, I recommend to read modern native authors. However, some of them are not quite literate despite being very famous. For example, John Grisham who is one of my favorite modern writers can't be considered as a pattern of correct literate American English. On the other hand, his fictions are true "page turners" and deal with very actual processes in American society. I recommend everyone to read at least some of them. I can send you some ebooks. I am absolutely sure in the following: if we learn or speak any foreign language, we should  understand and "feel" culture of that nation.

Well, back to the topic. I have read a lot in English and, without any shadow of doubt, I can tell you the names of American authors whose language is perfect. They are Stephen King, Annie Rise, Tom Clancy (uses so many idioms!). The first two are very good in expressing their minds. It is just a pleasure for me to read their fictions although I don't like what Annie Rise writes about. If you want to enrich your vocabulary, it is better to read some detective stories or fictions that are called "motion stories".  If you read about love (romance fictions), you will see that after reading about 50 pages you can't find any new word or expression.

Also, I will recommend those who are interested in some special fields of knowledge like business, technique, etc., to read articles in the scientific journals written by natives only. I know some good edditions and will gladly share this information with you.

• Tanya, I received your reply and read it with great pleasure. Thank you so much for your offer. I became interested to receive detective books which you mentioned as a good piece of read.
      I would be happy to obtain one or two books. PDF and EPUB are preferred formats.

Also I wanted to share the information about http://bookmate.ru
      Just visit it. You will be pleasantly surprised to see how this service is useful. Among others it has such option as contextual translation wich works between English and Russian in both directions. So, if you have Russian students studying English or vice versa, you can courageously suggest them to sign up there.

Thanks again for your reply.
      Oksana
    • Dear Oksana! I will gladly send you some books if you tell me your email address and thanks for information. Do you know Yura from Lviv? He is so very helpful, too! I like Lviv!
    • Dear Tanya,

I can't thank you enough for your email with the suggestions and books that you you sent me a little earlier!

It prompted me to make some additional research and I was lucky with results. :)

Just found this page a couple of minutes ago http://www.epubbud.com/book.php?g=TD4EKWEA and now I am rushing to share it. There is a big yellow button Download a Book and the link to epub-file behind it.

It's likely I am not acquainted to Yura. Does he have his account here? Then we can fill the gap. :)

All the best,
      Oksana

http://www.epubbud.com/book.php?g=TD4EKWEA
    • Dear Oksana! It is always nice to communicate with you. I am glad you liked those books but you will like them much more after reading. "Misery" by St. King is one of the best. Most of his books are just breathtaking! I will send you one more book by Anthony Horowitz. I have just found it in my e-library. He is not very literate but his detectives are very good. 

Well, as to Yura. He is a member of EC but he doesn't communicate with many people. He is from Sambir (Lviv region). He is a post graduate student and is writing his dissertation now. He studies English and teaching and writes very good English! Here is a link to his page:

http://my.englishclub.com/profile/YURA168

He is usually very helpful as to finding or getting different books (he reads so very much!)

Thank you for that link! I have to say that "The Brethren" is just great! There is so much humor and irony and the theme is really original! You ought to read it! Having read almost everything written by Grisham I was pleasantly surprised with this one.

I also like "The Client" and "The Partner", not to say about "The Pelican Brief".

Well, enjoy your reading and have a nice day! I will be glad to talk to you on Skype if you like, but in English only!

• Dear Tanya,

I am really happy with the opportunity to get immersed into modern American literature and meanwhile be guided by a person who is a really experienced reader in this area. Now I am doubting  between "The Godfather" and "The Brethren" as the first one is a book which I have already read in Russian (long ago but nonetheless), and the last one was written just recently, in 2000. Though I tend to choose the first book between them. I think, it will be a true achievement when I finish reading it!

Besides, I will remember all the list of suggestions and taste them one by one. At least I'll try to keep my promise. ;)

Thank you, Tanya, for this list and the recommendations related to each item. We'll see what I manage!

As to Skype, my id is oksana.english . I wish I was better at speaking. However, writing practice appears to be much easier for me, as this thing is dependant on noone except me. Nevertheless, I'll be happy to get in touch with you. Talk to you soon! :)

This reply was deleted.