How much should we learn about Grammar?

I want to ask about this question: How much should we learn about Grammar? Since it has many subjects to learn about and sometimes it makes beginners feel overwhelmed and desperate in which part they should start to learn grammar. Tenses, parts of speech, etc. Can anyone make a list contains which parts of Grammar that beginners should really understand? 

For example, Is it important for a beginner to really understand parts of speech? 

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dear Ario 

English could  be understood  with poor  grammar too , yet  tht is not enough  . Proper usage of  grammatical structures  are  needed to have confidence and  a polished  way of speaking  and  writing. This will enable  one  to go long way in their  profession , higher  education  and communication..

Grammar for a non native  may look very freighting  and appalling indeed  . There  are so many different  ways  and  activities  with the help of  the internet to get over this  freight ...  One should not  fear  and learn through the traditional  methods  too, with a recommended   Grammar  Book .for  exercises

Other  ways  one  develops  proficiency  with the correct usage of  grammar is,  through the  continuous  usage  of the language be it reading voraciously, writing  profusely,  listening   attentively,and  speaking  fearlessly.

So  what  ever  language we  attempt  to learn it should  be done  properly.

• Thanks Hala, Wade and Chandra. Your explanations are useful :)

• Hello, Ario. I think beginners must learn Tenses because if they don't, it will cause big misunderstanding when they are trying to express what they say. Imagine if they want to tell about something in the past but they tell it in Simple Past Tense. What will happen? Passive Voice, Direct Indirect Speech are also important. I experienced misunderstanding once with the last topic. A guy told me something. He confused indirect with direct speech. He should have written "I" but he wrote "you". And as a result, I misunderstood his story.

Oh, ya. They have to learn how to distinguish a verb from a noun and adjective because they often don't know. As a result, they can't comprehend formulas/patterns and can't construct even a simple sentence.

• I think grammar is the backbone of any language .Building a good and understandable sentence acquires a good grammar and of course, the parts of speech and the correct  tense is very important to make our spoken and written  language clear enough .

1- The ability to  use the correct forms will come not from knowing the rules but from wide and careful reading .Knowing the rules is one thing ,being able to apply them is another .

2-Grammar in contexts and examples is the best way :

Learners who use the correct grammar will not simply know the rules only ,they have met so many examples that they instinctively use the correct forms .

So, we can't say that one part of grammar is more important than the other ...Let's study the language as a whole ..read and listen more and more ....in this way we will improve a good language and sense its beauty .

Thank you for rising such an important issue!

• Hi Ario

I agree totally with Dr. Mufid and Ha Nguyen.

Here in Thailand grammar makes up about 75% of English studies at school.

For me "Speak Grammar - no speak English".

I am sure this will upset many people, but particularly where shyness is part of the culture, the last thing a student needs is to "Have to !" think about grammar as well.

As Dr. Mufid says "Pick it ( grammar ) up as you go along".

Even text books here contain numerous mistakes in grammar, as well as using both English English and American  English in the same book.

I believe knowing how and when to use a word is more important in the beginning than grammar.

Good luck with your studies.

Ian 

• @Ha Nguyen, Dr. Mufid, Ian

Hi, thanks for all of your opinions. I'm wondering about which parts of grammars that are essential for us to understand English. But, I do agree with you all. Honestly, I'm struggling to understand some grammar terms and only familiar with practical sides of English.

• This reply was deleted.
    • i am out of idea, but i think, the beginers should not learn grammar structure! because, grammar makes them become so confused in learning engish, like vietnamese language, we learn grammar when we speak it fluently, so english is in the same, the beginees should study english like a baby, listen, listen more, repeat , repeat more until we found out that we can speak very simple sentences!! when we can speak it automatically without thinking,  we start to learn gramar aspect!

This reply was deleted.