Head scratching

Why do we scratch our heads when we are confused or perplexed? Some people scratch the side of their noses. In class, when a student is asked about a question and he does not know the answer he begins to scratch his head. We do the same in difficult situations or difficult puzzles. Why do we do it? The brain is up there. Do we ask it to give us the answer or help us with that gesture?    

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think because when we don't know the answer we try to strait our brain and this might have pressure over our brain. Also if we pay attention to the meaning it means that we raise our hand so we have surrendered.

• hi dara,i think its a habbit to scratch our head when to remember something.

thanks for your writting.essamu aleyküm.

• hi dara,i think its a habbit to scratch our head when to remember something.

thanks for your writting.essamu aleyküm.

• LOL.....Sir.

I guess you come up with this question after noticing one of your students. :D 

It happens also to workers or anyone who faces a problem.

"When the brain/head is hot thinking so hard for a solution, it feels like exploding". So, it is probably to delay or stop the explosion. LOOOOL............Maybe it also helps the blood flow work well. And finally, it cools down the feeling of stress. hehe.

Thank you for your interesting discussion.

• Ifcharisto poly Anastasia! I agree, Ana.  It is a matter of pretending and hiding. When we do not know the answer that is exactly what we do. Thanks for your quick response. I have sent a message to your inbox. Thanks again. 

•     Well I think it's a matter of embarrassment. People  try to find the answer and  they late or ignorant  and scratch their head. Thanks for your  nice blog.

• Bojan mee Svitlana! Oh! Lana, your mobile phone made me dead. I guess you need to give it more data. Instead of dear Dara, it wrote dead Dara. I am still alive, lol. Thanks for your comment on that rubbing of the head in critical situations. 

• Thank you for correcting me, dear Dara! )))

Maybe I am too sleepy now and can't see my mistakes. 

• Bez problem Svitlana! You are using your smartphone, am I right? I am just joking, nothing more. because these devices are not equipped with all the necessary or the required vocabulary needed for certain terms. Thanks again.

• Thanks, A738a for that photo which describes what is going inside that place. Thanks for pressing the like button. I hope to be one of your friends. Thanks.

This reply was deleted.