I visited several websites and read several articles. Then I found the same ideas on MyEC too. Some people said that we don't need to learn English grammar if we want to improve our speaking ability.

I read an English teacher said that we should forget about the grammar rule, 'burn' our English text books and start to speak.

While the others said that we still need to learn grammar if we want to develop our speaking.

So, what's your opinion, friends? Do we need to learn grammar to improve our speaking ability? And what's the reasons for your answer?

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "...before you can say you are using English" - aptly said!

Doylin, you are aware of such professional concepts. Are you a student of linguistics? ...or are you already a teacher?

• This reply was deleted.
    • +1
      That's the very true!

By the way, Kean, thanks for giving a "like" to my group. ;)

• @Oksana, Jalal, Robert, Praful, Zamantha, Naneth, Mustafa

Hi, friends. Thank for your comments. Sorry if I can't reply to each comment immediately. Well, I understand each of your point of view about whether or not we need to learn grammar to improve our speaking.

I asked this question because I just started to practice my speaking in about these two months. I know that my grammar isn't perfect, but I familliar with grammar and have been practicing my writing for three years.

I remember the first time I spoke on Skype with my American friend. When I was trying to speak, I tried to remember grammar rules. But, I get stumbled and I panicked. There were no words came out from my mouth. And I felt stupid. It seemed my time I spent to learn grammar for three years was useless.

But, then I realize that I don't have to really worry about grammar when I speak. One or two grammatical errors, I guess still can be tolerated when we speak. However, grammar also helps me. When I started to get my confidence, it was easier to arrange the sentences.

My struggling now is just to practice more. Just like what Robert and Oksana did. What I do now is reading phrases out loud, so they become familliar in my tongue and brain. I hope the phrases can come automatically.
  • This reply was deleted.
    • Hello mustafa,

I wanted to say that I felt the same. The only way to be understood is to express yourself according to the rules. So, the grammar is essential. :)

Have a nice day

• For me, If I'm not an English teacher, Grammar is not that too essential. As long as two people understand each other.... If ONE comprehends of what someone is saying, I think there's no need to learn grammar anymore... It's just for formality only!
    • What languages are spoken as auxiliary in your country?

I mean I heard English was the second language in your country? Is that true?

• @ Ranu,

Hi! Your welcome my friend. I think in order for us to speak English fluently, we need to remember the 3 principles of grammar. When we make a sentence, it should always be clear, consistent and balance. But for us non-native English speakers, we should strive to learn gradually and of course have a passion so that our learning would be meaningful and enjoyable. Have a pleasant day....

• i thing that we don't need to use grammer in our speaking that's when we pay attention on the grammer rules we couldn't speack fluently .So i think it's better to leave grammer when we make conversations and speak free .
  • @ Robert, Karenina, Moein, Steven, Faris

Thank for all your comments, friends. After I read your comments, I concluded that we all need to learn grammar. And that grammar is important base to learn any language. But, we also need to practice our speaking and not to pay attention too much to it when we are trying to speak.

I hope my conclusion isn't wrong.

• You asked a really interesting question, Ranu! =)

I think it's all about proportions between the rules and practice. I guess it should vary near 10%/90%. In the majority of quite good schools they teach in proportion 50%/50% and therefore students can write more or less but can't speak. If the proportion tends to give preference to the rules, they become useless at all, for then students can neither write nor speak. This is the situation of average schools, I think. Therefore that guy suggested to burn textbooks.

Thus, what we must blame is not textbooks but the proportion of both essential parts of learning (of course, if it's a wrong proportion). Practice is like muscles which are necessary but also become helpless without a sceleton of Her Majesty Grammar.

We need both. We all need much more practice...

This reply was deleted.