Hello everyone,

This week on social media a storm raised because of an advertise. The advertise was about a little boy wearing a green jumper with a text on it.

Text was this; “Coolest Monkey In The Jungle”.

There are so many issues and aspects in this, so many opinions and so many feelings. This made me wonder about childrens rights in a world ruled by people who supposed to be and act like responsible adults.

There were many reactions and counter reactions to this, but what I wondered all the time was, I was missing the little boys opinion on this issue - What he thought, what he felt.

Have you noticed the advertisement, if so then what thoughts came to your mind?

The questions for discussion are;

- What do you think about the children’s rights aspect in this?

- What do you think about the political correctness aspect in this?

- Do you think it was an ignorant act done by H&M?

- Do you think such advertisements can have negative effects on a child’s self esteem?

I know those are many questions in one discussion, but I think you all can manage. Everyone is welcome to participate in the discussion, please do keep in mind a sober and constructive tone is preferable. Thank you.

I would like to quote a sentence;

“do you think this imagery is an appropriate representation of a young black boy?"

Note: My opinion about the word “Political Correctness” I find it interesting on many different levels, because it is a word that can be interpreted as desired - some may not agree, but this is my opinion.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ok, thank you Evangelina!

• Hello Roman,

How smart, I like this;

“They should write it as "The coolest monkeyS  (live) in the Jungle"

But, it makes me still wonder whether this statement could be accepted and whether all what happened could have been avoided. I think, no.

Things as may not be of any big matters to some, as may see it as fun and trivialize it as being overreacting, can for others have so deep roots in atrocities done towards them through time, that it may sometimes not take much for them to react, because matters become sensitive.

Yes, children are sensitive and thoughtful and this can have a negative affect on their self esteem because it may lead to bullying.

Thank you many times for posting your opinion Roman :)

• Yes, you are right, Evangelina! It still can be a discrimination..

Thank you too!:)

• Hi Evangelina!

Children rights: Parents should atleast ask children's opinion before buying that jumper.

Political correctnes: They should write it as "The coolest monkeyS  (live) in the Jungle"

Ignorant: I think yes, but I don't know what is "H&M".

Child's self esteem: Yes, it definitely can have both positive and negative effects on a child's self esteem. Because kids are so sensitive and thoughtful.

Have a good day and peaceful week ahead!

• Hello Onee,

Agreed.

I think people who use humor ( read misuse ) to ridicule others show a sad side of themselves that indicates insecurity, and generally my opinion about that has always been, I feel sad about that, because such persons may not feel good about themselves. Nothing much surprising in that.

Though I really hope with all the clarity, what I have written in the main body of the discussion, doesn’t give impression of that I find this humorous. Because even if I try really, really hard, I have a very hard time finding the slightest humor aspect in this. There is none.

My focus was/is the well being of the little child.

Thank you many times Onee, for posting your opinion :)

• i didn't see the advertisement though but by seeing only this jumper i think there is nothing to react so badly on this. Furthermore they are not insisting anyone to buy it, this is completely consumers choice whether they wanna have it or not. But yes we can take it as funny like monkey jumps over the trees and have more information of forest than else :-) So a person who is good in eavesdropping should be gifted with this....

• Kids can't decide what is proper for them , it's their parent or guardians , who push them toward such acts because of money .
    Stealing their innocent or damaging their self esteem and it is everywhere dear Evangeline .
    In my part of the world no one can stop any new videos from spreading through social media apps . Most of these are only childish moments for any family and as quick as scratching ur nose the become stars. Companies run toward them to make advertising because they are popular now .
    The spontaneous childish reaction have entered the markets for selling goods .
    About the story u have mentioned , it's terrible . I can understand the cause of ur disappointed . It is the hidden message this brand is trying to convey through the little kid . This isn't a mere usually advertisement , it's more than that . It is something affiliated with racial discrimination and categorizing and labeling others.
    Who is responsible ???, we can't blame the whole company , maybe one person is behind the whole story .
    Will this mayhem affect the little child ??? , let's all hope it won't
    Ur story reminded me of Ota Benga story , an African man who was kept in the zoo

2644074111?profile=original

Here is a link about this awful story https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ota_Benga

Ota Benga
    Ota Benga (c. 1883 – March 20, 1916) was a Mbuti (Congo pygmy) man, known for being featured in an anthropology exhibit at the Louisiana Purchase Exp…
  • Actually, Eva this is nothing new. In this world where so many ironical things happened, I don't wonder anymore. Still, I agree this is inappropriate and something discriminatory... but humiliation became a good commercial attitude nowadays. 

Though, I'm seeing a different issue towards this that connects to evolution theory. 

About the children's right, do you think a child will just pose before a camera out of force? I think there are people behind this who are much responsible and accountable to keep safe the child's right that unfortunately agreed to make this happen.

The language that was used to show discrimination is politically incorrect. 

:)

• Hi Eva,

I like humor, but I don't like this. Humor shouldn't humiliate the others and there is limitation for that.

Sometimes, people felt encouraged more with ridicule things, but mostly not. And this is a kid. I give up commenting more.

This reply was deleted.