Can we change BAD character?

Hello all MyEC friends,

Character is brought by nature. There are good and bad in every person. Some of us could realize our BAD character, but hardly could ignore it. If this BAD was getting more critical, this could harm us or spoil our relationship with people. So, my question is..

• Can we change BAD character?
  • If YES, HOW?.........If NO, WHY?

In my own opinion, there are only two steps, willingness and learning.

Note: some of BAD characters could be 

• quick tempered
  • panicky
  • inconsistent
  • revengeful
  • intolerant
  • careless
  • difficult to motivate themselves
  • less empathy
  • hard to admit mistakes
  • and many more.  

This is NOT about HABIT, ATTITUDE or BEHAVIOR. In case of confusion, please read my blog about the definition of them.

Thank you very much for reading and joining this discussion. You could share tips and/or experiences here. I would be glad to hear from you. :)

---------------------

Have a look at this one real story:

A father, who always be angry to every family member whatever they did, right or wrong. He's not as cruel as people saw, but he's just QUICK-TEMPERED. He doesn't really like hit the things or family members body, but just talk with high tone in every situation so often. He learnt how to manage himself not to do it, but years has gone by. This CHARACTER HAS MADE HIM GET FAR FROM HER SONS AND DAUGHTERS. Fortunately he has a patient wife. All that he could do is less talking. At his age, he's a bit late to repent. But, in other way, all the family still love him.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello dear Evangelina, thank you for your thoughtful comment. I really appreciate that. :)

Here, I want to clarify.....BAD character doesn't mean BAD person. Before I wrote about this, I had looked into psychology book again. Every person have plus and minus on their character, whatever kind of personalities. Here, we talk about character, NOT attitude or behavior.

I know what you mean through your comment. I'm not ignoring talking about belief, but every person who has belief must hold their belief firmly. Just how every person shows their attitudes and behaviors to other. It's personal. And.....

meddlesome and contentious are also BAD character. (NOTE: IN PSYCHOLOGY)

I think you will understand when I said, DEBATE is different from DISPUTE. In a healthy DEBATE......every person must appreciate every opinions without always agreeing it.

Back to BAD character........We, as a friend of such person could do nothing much with her/him because only herself/himself could change their character, and it needs a long path, depends on themselves. If we want to help them, we could tell or ignore him/her as well. Fire is getting bigger when meeting fire.

Hope you could understand what I mean. Thank you again, and have a great time! :)

• Selamat pagi Onee chan guru! Kenapa tidak? karaktar jelek adalah satu cacat di jiwa. Kalau kita menyambuhkan, orang akan pergi lurus. It's some sort of the defect of the soul.  Let's see that defect and repair it.

• Repentence and firm will makes a bad person good. The doors of goodness are always oprned.
    • Thank you so much, Mishaikh. You're absolutely right.

But actually, I don't talk about bad person, but BAD character. And good person could also still have BAD character.

• No, Onee it is not possible that a good person has bad character, if he has, then he is not good at all.

The persons have the characters.  The characters themselves as nothing to do.

Hope you got my point.

• Mishaikh, hmm...What a strong judgement! :))

I have one BAD character to tell you. I still like delaying works/plans sometimes, am I bad person?

BAD character here means something that there in ourselves which we hardly could mend it. It could harm ourselves more than others. I can see it in every person, though I couldn't see all when it comes in virtual world. But, they actually good people. :)

•  I can see it in every person, though I couldn't see all when it comes in virtual world. But, they actually good people. :)

In this case this is the fault of the onlooker itself, not the person observed!

• I got it, Mishaikh. So true. We must be wise being onlooker. :) 

• Hello Basuki Harun, thank you for reading and giving nice comment. :)

• Very excellent
This reply was deleted.