Can we change BAD character?

Hello all MyEC friends,

Character is brought by nature. There are good and bad in every person. Some of us could realize our BAD character, but hardly could ignore it. If this BAD was getting more critical, this could harm us or spoil our relationship with people. So, my question is..

• Can we change BAD character?
  • If YES, HOW?.........If NO, WHY?

In my own opinion, there are only two steps, willingness and learning.

Note: some of BAD characters could be 

• quick tempered
  • panicky
  • inconsistent
  • revengeful
  • intolerant
  • careless
  • difficult to motivate themselves
  • less empathy
  • hard to admit mistakes
  • and many more.  

This is NOT about HABIT, ATTITUDE or BEHAVIOR. In case of confusion, please read my blog about the definition of them.

Thank you very much for reading and joining this discussion. You could share tips and/or experiences here. I would be glad to hear from you. :)

---------------------

Have a look at this one real story:

A father, who always be angry to every family member whatever they did, right or wrong. He's not as cruel as people saw, but he's just QUICK-TEMPERED. He doesn't really like hit the things or family members body, but just talk with high tone in every situation so often. He learnt how to manage himself not to do it, but years has gone by. This CHARACTER HAS MADE HIM GET FAR FROM HER SONS AND DAUGHTERS. Fortunately he has a patient wife. All that he could do is less talking. At his age, he's a bit late to repent. But, in other way, all the family still love him.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• As most people, i believe that the character is that make someone good or bad person. But i think i got your point Onee. In every person there is the bad and the good side.

Some persons show more their bad side but i think there are many factors that are the reasons about it. Like, the way of the person have grew up, the behavior of other people, social reasons and maybe others that i can't think now.

It is true what they say about life: "Do always the good and life will give it you back". But what if life doesn't treat you good and many things in your life go bad. Then you loose your courage, your hopes, you change and maybe you become bad.

Here is a true example: A woman tries to make babies with her husband but they can't make it. After long time her behavior became abrupt. She have nerves and one day she "attacked" to a friend of her while they were talking. I mean, she yelled at her. This made her bad. She showed her bad side of her character.

Also i believe that some persons who have bad character by their nature need something to "shake them" to change.

Anyway, i believe that a bad character can change but this depends on the circumstances, time and behavior of other people like other members said.

• In my humble opinion (and experience) time is the best factor to smoothen bad character. Obviously, we first have to admit it is really a bad character.
  • Hello Sanny,, Yes, it needs good social, too. Somehow, they could change by themselves.

Thank you so much for your valuable comment. :)

• Hello Jamshaid Iqbal, Yes, it needs time, tough. 

Thank you for joining and agreeing in this discussion. 

• What you are talklng is not termed as bad character. It is said tobe a bad habit.

Hope you got my point.
    • Mishaikh, I dare to say it's BAD character because I've learnt from psychology book, personality book. I like to say BAD character, I mean for the minus personality.

Thank you so much again for your concern in this discussion. I'm glad. :)

• I am sorry you are not correct here.

It means smoking also belongs to a bad character.

You are mistaken somewhere.

• Mishaikh, smoking is a habit anyway.

Well, back to my question. REPENTANCE and FIRMNESS are quite effective to strengthen GOD character and suppress the BAD. Thanks for your attention. :) 

• We can change if the person who wants to change his bad character then we can change but expectation chance is very low.
  • Selamat pagi, Pak Dara. Terimakasih banyak atas komentar baiknya. You gave a good point here. You're absolutely right (Anda benar sekali).

All the people are basically good. Just how people could lead their minus (in BAD character). I saw it needed time and patience, through many experiences and events. 

Just a bit correction, Mr. Dara. Kalau kita memperbaikinya, kita akan menjadi lebih baik.

This reply was deleted.