12+1

Is there any lucky or unlucky number in your life?Does any specific number exist which can cause good/bad luck to us?or it is just our imagination and beliefs.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Jose Maria

nice to meet you too.
    thanks for your full info.i enjoyed a lot.

i heard sth about number 666; it is considered as Satanic cults' sign.but there is no need to be worried if you have this number in your ID;as you said you can change its meaning as you wish.

any way i do agree with what you said at the end;we can interpret not only numbers but also everything around us as we wish.it is the power of our mind.

good luck
    have a nice time:)

Jose María said:
    Hi Zahra. Nice to meet you and good topic.

It´s known that some numbers are important in some cultures and even in people lifes.Not in my case, I don´t mind but numbers are very interesting.

For example:

Number 3, in philosophy it is take like balance, a table with three leg will never wobble.

Other is number 12, it is usual to go and buy a docen of eggs, Why not 10?, it is because 12 is divisible by 2, 3, 4, 6 and you can buy half docen and so on. Of course is not only for eggs, we have twelve months in our calendar and we divide one day in two parts of twelve hours, in Christianity there are twelve apostols...

One more is 7, it is one of the most popular in europen culture and cristianity, the Holly Bible says that the world was made in 6 days and God used the 7th for resting, there are seven days in a week, and it is used in a lot of tales, the seven wonders of the world, White snow and the seven dawrfs, Harry Potter stories are 7 books.

Finally there is one that is connected with the evil, this is the number of the beast 666, I´m sorry because mi ID card ends with it, but I like thinking that I´m the 'Best' not the Beast, and I´m happy because I had an 8 in my ID card too so like Schizocat says I rich all the way.

To sum up you can connect every number with what ever you want and make it yours.

Take care and have a very nice day
  • Hi dear mimi

thanks a lot for your nice and complete reply.

orkut scraps

Creative and fun Good Luck Scraps
    mimi said:
    Hi dear Zahra,
    Numbers have wide meanings in different cultures. In Iran No. 7 is number of great luck and No. 13 known as an unluckiness number. The same believes were found in ancient Iran. Most of them have gotten from natural phenomenas. There are 7 colors in rainbow, 7 oceans, 7 staples of the body( including: head, chest, abdomen, 2 hands and 2 legs) ...
    They said the sky and also paradise has 7 floors. God creates the world in 7 days. There are 7 deadly sins, 7 Wonders of the Ancient World and etc. Now a days Iranian celebrate the New Year by making "haftsin" which has 7 parts start with the letter "s" and each of them is a nature symbol.
    For more information about haftsin please visit:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nowruz
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haft-Sin

No. 4 known as a symbol of strength and stability. the same as quadrupled elements (water,wind,fire and soil), 4 seasons of the year, 4 corners of the building... and No. 40 known as a symbol of continuation.

I myself prefer No. 7. I'm not superstitious but when I use number 7 I really feel more self confidence and it heartens me. May be it's just a promotion but I like this feeling!

"The world is based on numbers" Fysaghvrs

Good Luck!
  • Hi dear Schizocat

thanks a lot for your complete info.i enjoyed it a lot.

in Iran we have a period called Nowrouz Holidays in which we celebrate new year and spring for 13 days. as you know 13 is considered an unlucky number by many(i am not among them) so we-Iranians-have a tradition due to which we go outdoors in 13th of Farvardin.
    we call this custom "Sizde-be-dar" which means "getting rid of 13".people on this day don't stay at home (but i do it) and they go on picnics and enjoy their time playing and telling jokes(there are certain jokes called "thirteen lies").this day is also called "the day of nature" in our calendar which is because people go to natural sites.

anyway to me 13 is not an unlucky number.even it was lucky for me in a competition in which i won the 1st place.

but still there are numbers which are considered divine and holy like 8 ; in my religion heaven is considered to have 8 gates. 6 is also among them;number of days in which the world was created.
    and so on.

any way i wish a lucky day for you:)

Schizocat said:
    With Chinese, number 4, number 10 and number 14 are the unlucky ones. In Mandarin pronounciation, these numbers sound like "death". If you go to China, Taiwan, Hong Kong or Macau, you will not find buttons assigned to these numbers in the elevators.
    On the contrary, number 2 is consider lucky because it is a pair. Number 8 is the most popular number. In Mandarin, number 8 pronounce as "ba" which is very close to "fa" and it means "getting rich" or "prosperous" in Chinese. Many Chinese, especially business men are crazy about number 8. If your cell phone number, home phone number or license number has many 8s in it, you could actually sell them in a very high price.

Some lucky combination of numbers are:
    168- rich all the way...
    5888- I am getting richer, richer, and richer
    888- Rich, Rich and Rich or Prosperous, prosperous and prosperous
    (Now you may already know the reason behind the date of Beijing Olympic. " Aug 8, 2008")

I don't want to be superstitious but I do not like number 4. Therefore, I do try to avoid having a number 4 in my car license plate or my cell phone number.

I love number 1, 3, and 7. There is no special meaning for me. I guess love is unexplainable.

More details about Numbers in Chinese culture, please check here.
This reply was deleted.