Replies

• Hi, Herry! "Indeed" is an adverb. We use it in the following cases:

1) to emphasize a statement or response confirming something already suggested

It was not expected to last long, and indeed it took less than three weeks. "She should have no trouble hearing him." "No indeed."

■ used to emphasize a description

It was a very good buy indeed

2) to introduce a further and stronger or more surprising point

The idea is attractive to many men and indeed to many women

3) in a response to express interest, surprise, or contempt

"A ghost indeed! I've never heard anything so silly."

■ expressing interest of an ironical kind with repetition of a question just asked

"Who'd believe it?""Who indeed?"

If you have questions like that, it is always necessary to consult Oxford dictionaries

Herry Susanto said:
    Hi Tanya
    I'm confused about the using of 'indeed'. Could you explain it to me?
    Thanks
    Herry
  • Hi, Adam! "However" is a parenthical word, i.e., we place it at the beginning of the sentence before a subject of a main clause. For example:

It was raining heavily. However, I had to go out.

"But" is a conjunction, i.e., we place it at the beginning of a subordinate clause before its subject. For example:

It was raining heavily but I had to go out

adam smith said:
    dear tanya
    this is my first share with your group
    i wod ask you : when we use ( however ) ? and whts the deffrint between however and but when u use?
  • Hi! I don't know how to explain what the parts of speech are. There are many different parts of speech: nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, junctions, participles, gerunds, infinitives and some others. If fact, English grammar is very easy. Its main part is a grammar of the verb because it is the only one changable part of speech. The rest have some features and should be placed right in any sentence. Only personal pronouns have two forms but it is very easy to understand which one to use. You should ask me more particular questions, OK?

Don't_for_get_Hello said:
    Hi Tanya,
    How are you?
    what is parts of speech and how learn it easy?
  • Hi, people! Trai Pham asks what the difference is between "sight" and "view".

OK. "Sight" as a noun means:
    1) the faculty or power of seeing
    Joseph lost his sight as a baby
    ■ the action or fact of seeing someone or something
    I've always been scared of the sight of blood
    ■ the area or distance within which someone can see or something can be seen
    He now refused to let Rose out of his sight
    ■ dated a person's view or consideration
    We are all equal in the sight of God
    2) a thing that one sees or that can be seen
    John was a familiar sight in the bar for many years
    He was getting used to seeing unpleasant sights
    ■ (sights) places of interest to tourists and visitors in a city, town, or other place
    She offered to show me the sights
    ■ (a sight) a person or thing having a ridiculous, repulsive, or dishevelled appearance
    ‘I must look a frightful sight,’ she said
    3) (usu. sights) a device on a gun or optical instrument used for assisting a person's precise aim or observation

"View" as a noun means:

1)the ability to see something or to be seen from a particular place
    The end of the tunnel came into view
    They stood on the bar to get a better view

■ an inspection of things for sale by prospective purchasers, especially of works of art at an exhibition
    2) a sight or prospect, typically of attractive natural scenery, that can be taken in by the eye from a particular place
    a fine view of the castle
    ■ a work of art depicting a sight of natural scenery
    ■ the visual appearance or an image of something when looked at in a particular way
    an aerial view of the military earthworks
    3) a particular way of considering or regarding something; an attitude or opinion
    strong political views

This information is from Oxford glossary. I recommend you all to use it when you have problems with vocabulary.
  • Dear Hoang Van! You are welcome!

hoang van said:
    Hello Tanya,
    My name's hoang. I come from Vietnam. I'm a new member of this club. I'm appreciate your willingness to help everyone. It's very kind of you. may i become your friend and student? I want also to learn and practise Enghlish as someone else.

Sincerely,

Hoang
  • Hi, Andrey! The verb is of no matter. It most of sentences we can interchange objects. For example:

She bought her son a new bike or
    She bought a new bike to her son.

Like in your example, there is no difference between those sentences. However, if both objects are simple (not complex) and at least one of them is not a pronoun the order of the first sentence, i.e.

predicate + indirect object + direct object

is better.

You should remember, that if both objects are pronouns we can use only the following word order:

predicate + direct object + indirect object

For example:

Bring them to me

Andrey said:
    Dear Tanya,
    Today I want you to explain the place of direct and indirect objects after the verbs like these: give, show, tell, etc. What is the difference (if any) between the expressions:1) Give me the book and 2) Give the book to me.
    Thanks
  • Hello Tanya,
    My name's hoang. I come from Vietnam. I'm a new member of this club. I'm appreciate your willingness to help everyone. It's very kind of you. may i become your friend and student? I want also to learn and practise Enghlish as someone else.

Sincerely,

Hoang
  • Dear Tanya,
    Today I want you to explain the place of direct and indirect objects after the verbs like these: give, show, tell, etc. What is the difference (if any) between the expressions:1) Give me the book and 2) Give the book to me.
    Thanks
  • Dear Senthil! I am glad to answer to your questions.

1. We use the Future Progressive Tense when we speak about intentions while we use the Future Simple to describe a desirable action as a fact. So, "I will be coming" is almost the same as "I intend to come" and "I will come" is almost the same as "I want to come". Both are right. Which one to use depends on what you want to express.

2. "I am not done" means that you haven't finished to do something.
    "It is not done" means that some work or action hasn't been finished yet.

The sense is almost the same. Again, it depends on situation which one to use.

senthil said:
    Hi Mam, im Back,
    i have been hearing that most peoples are using "I will be verb+ing " instead "I will +verb"..
    for example: i will be coming instead i will come.. is that right one..? could you please explain exact meaning of both?, and next one: are "i am not done" and "it is not done" equal?
  • Hello my passionate Teacher,

Thank you so much about your explanation as how tenses are emotional. As explanation no.2, I really understood it..But no. 1 ( I study/ I am studying ) a little bit confuse as to why it can be a negative to the one hearing it....But it's my fault mam, because it is just only now that I begin to grasp the emotional being of the tenses...

Maybe mam for me to begin with to grasp, would you agree to me if I, for example speak tenses thinking first what would be the listener will felt if I said it..

Your explanation mam made me conclude that speaking tenses is not all about correct grammar but how you express them with feelings.."You can express what is in your mind by feeling it as you thinking what would your listener can feel/ understand about what you really want to express.. I don't know mam if I express my thoughts correctly on this.

And yes mam you are so correct..I'm bad when it comes to tenses...So please mam bear me as I brought again some questions in tenses in my future queries...

Thank you so much and God Bless,
    mayumee...
This reply was deleted.