Peace vrs War

I like discussions where people express opposite opinions and try to defend and ground their ideas. But as to this topic, I want to believe you will not be opposite to my point of view that is: I hate war and violence. I can accept 18th-19th century wars for division of the world territories, wars for colonies' liberation, American war for Independence and some others. At least, there were reasons and there were no other ways to solve those problems that time. However, I can't and will never accept the wars started at the end of the 20th - the beginning of the 21st centuries. I will never accept wars caused be the religious or political differences. Why should we kill one another because of different turn of mind?! Look at my country. We have so many problems and contradictions in here but there has been no shot since Stalin's times in Ukraine. It seems to be the only one country that avoided blood revolution after the collapse of the former USSR. Of course, I agree to Bill. World peace is a myth now but why not to solve all problems peacefully?I'd like to hear your ideas in this connection.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes, it's much better to live in peace, live harmoniously with nature, live in the world without war between man and man, and war between man and nature.
  • Thank you, Pham! What you have written is mature and thoughtful. And, it is much better to live in peace, isn't it?!

Pham Trang said:
    I agree with you on your opinions. War and violence should not exist in this world. However, we are all not the same. Someone like using war or violence to fight against the noble value of mankind. So sometimes using the violence to fight against unjust war is necessary. Many people can lost their life in the war including soldiers, grassroots and terrorists. The nations have to spend financial, material resource for the war instead of spending them for health care, education and the other things of social security. The death of soldiers and grassroots are serious losses and we always remember their sacrifice for progress of human in the bottom of our heart.
    I love living in the world without war and violence.
  • Thank you, Pham! What you have written is mature and thoughtful. And, it is much better to live in peace, isn't it?!

Pham Trang said:
    I agree with you on your opinions. War and violence should not exist in this world. However, we are all not the same. Someone like using war or violence to fight against the noble value of mankind. So sometimes using the violence to fight against unjust war is necessary. Many people can lost their life in the war including soldiers, grassroots and terrorists. The nations have to spend financial, material resource for the war instead of spending them for health care, education and the other things of social security. The death of soldiers and grassroots are serious losses and we always remember their sacrifice for progress of human in the bottom of our heart.
  • I agree with you on your opinions. War and violence should not exist in this world. However, we are all not the same. Someone like using war or violence to fight against the noble value of mankind. So sometimes using the violence to fight against unjust war is necessary. Many people can lost their life in the war including soldiers, grassroots and terrorists. The nations have to spend financial, material resource for the war instead of spending them for health care, education and the other things of social security. The death of soldiers and grassroots are serious losses and we always remember their sacrifice for progress of human in the bottom of our heart.
  • Thanks, Irina!

Irina Tarabrina said:
    Guys, I am very impressed by your comments! Way to go!
    That's true declaration of true peace-makers!
  • Guys, I am very impressed by your comments! Way to go!
    That's true declaration of true peace-makers!
  • Dear Sami! First of all, thanks for the compliment. Besides, I'd like to say that you are so right! Why not to discuss our problems instead of fighting? These days my country and my city are celebrating the 65th (and 66th, appropriatelly) anniversary of liberation from Hitler's occupation. This year it is really a very sad celebration because of the world economic crisis and flu epidemy. What a pity that our young generation is so indifferent to the events of the past! It was Ukraine and Byelorussia that suffered more than other Soviet territories during WWII. How to forget it?! But it doesn't mean we should fight Germans now! As to my country, it has had very good relations with Germany for many years. I am so happy that Ukraine has never been aggressive during its century old history. It has only deffended its territories, its people and its freedom. We don't make policy on the globe but WE are mankind. The more people believe and struggle for peace, the better our world will be!

sami ez said:
    What a wonderful writing dear Tanya ,
    i think it deserves to be a declaration in UN .
    I think recent wars the we have in the world are divided among the oil and power .
    Some countries want to have other countries corporations in order to be the only power in the world and some disgusting governments and regimes help them to make such wars with their unaccepted acts to their people like our regimes .
    But i think the real people don't like to fight with other nations in any subject ,
    God gives us tong and brain to solve our problem in wise way .

All the best for you and peace to world

Sami
  • What a wonderful writing dear Tanya ,
    i think it deserves to be a declaration in UN .
    I think recent wars the we have in the world are divided among the oil and power .
    Some countries want to have other countries corporations in order to be the only power in the world and some disgusting governments and regimes help them to make such wars with their unaccepted acts to their people like our regimes .
    But i think the real people don't like to fight with other nations in any subject ,
    God gives us tong and brain to solve our problem in wise way .

All the best for you and peace to world

Sami
  • Dear Bill! Thanks for taking part in my discussion. This topic is still painful for me because my best friend was killed in Afganistan, two others were killed in Georgia in 1989, my American ex and almost all his friends took part in the Vietnamees war or in Iraq, not to say that almost all Ukrainian families lost someone during WW II and Stalin's repressions.Tharist Russia had always suffered of imperialistic ideas. Communism was just a natural prolongation of that chauvinism and aggresiveness. I often feel ashamed that I have been born in the former USSR. It had always sticked its nose into the world political affairs as well as America. Actually, you've said what I dare not. I have no intention to offend people, especially Americans whom I trully love. Thank goodness, the USSR collapsed and now America is the only one Super Power in the world.
    Hope, you've got that I meant your ex-president when I mentioned political wars. You see, I am really happy that America is a powerful democratic country and, at least, my country can always rely on the USA and NATO but I completely agree with you. One of the greatest achievements of the mankind, freedom, sometimes turns out to be the false front for the beginning of political wars. On the other hand, when on 9/11 I saw falling Tower Twins where I had been many times and had been amazed with beauty and greatness of Manhattan I felt as American, believe me. I said at once: "They must be punished!". Like you, I am almost a pacifist, but who said that we will allow to destroy our achievements, our heritage, our prosperity and our freedom? What a pity that the conclusion you made is so pessimistic! I wish we learned to solve all occuring problems without sheddind blood like water. I sincerely believe that any human life is worse more than any political ambitions.

Thank you, Bill for sharing your thougths with us.

Bill, the English teacher said:
    Tanya makes some very good points here. I can almost say I am a pacifist, except I do think self-defense is a valid reason for war when the aggressor will not negotiate when the rest of the world protests the aggression. Of course politicians can justify starting a war in another country on the grounds of "self-defense" if they get creative enough (George Bush). Revolutions for freedom can also be seen as a type of self-defense when another country or corrupt government occupies a country and threatens their freedoms. But if it is just an excuse for another group of dictators to rise to power, it is not really self-defense. But as Tanya says, the 21th Century should be an enlightened era where we should be able to avoid war as a solution to world problems and conflicts. For me World War II was the last truly justified war as an evil axis of dictators threatened the whole world. After that it seems wars became political maneuvers to interfer in other countries to gain geo-political power in the Cold War. For me, each American-involved war after that made less and less sense until our last fiasco in Iraq made the least sense. Some Americans would call me unpatriotic, but I am far from that. I love my country and the freedoms I have here. I support my country, but I hold my government accountable to be part of the solution to create world peace as much as is possible and not fabricate excuses to "free" other countries. Perhaps as we all become more global, the world will put more pressure on counries using force instead of peace.
  • Tanya makes some very good points here. I can almost say I am a pacifist, except I do think self-defense is a valid reason for war when the aggressor will not negotiate when the rest of the world protests the aggression. Of course politicians can justify starting a war in another country on the grounds of "self-defense" if they get creative enough (George Bush). Revolutions for freedom can also be seen as a type of self-defense when another country or corrupt government occupies a country and threatens their freedoms. But if it is just an excuse for another group of dictators to rise to power, it is not really self-defense. But as Tanya says, the 21th Century should be an enlightened era where we should be able to avoid war as a solution to world problems and conflicts. For me World War II was the last truly justified war as an evil axis of dictators threatened the whole world. After that it seems wars became political maneuvers to interfer in other countries to gain geo-political power in the Cold War. For me, each American-involved war after that made less and less sense until our last fiasco in Iraq made the least sense. Some Americans would call me unpatriotic, but I am far from that. I love my country and the freedoms I have here. I support my country, but I hold my government accountable to be part of the solution to create world peace as much as is possible and not fabricate excuses to "free" other countries. Perhaps as we all become more global, the world will put more pressure on counries using force instead of peace.
This reply was deleted.