Words of chapter 15

voluminous adjective/vəˈluː.mɪ.nəs/ adj formal•A voluminous piece of clothing is large and consists of a lot of clothHer voluminous silk dress billowed out behind her.•A voluminous piece of writing is long and detailedHave you read McClelland's voluminous account of his life?pant verb/pænt/ v [I]to breathe quickly and loudly through your mouth, usually because you have been doing something very energeticMatteo arrived at the top of the hill, panting and covered in sweat.[+ speech] "Hurry! They're almost here, " she panted (= said while panting).scholar noun/ˈskɒl.ər/US pronunciation symbol/ˈskɑː.lɚ/ n [C]•a person who studies a subject in great detail, especially at a universitya classics/history scholarDr Miles was a distinguished scholar of Russian history.•informal someone who is clever or good at learning by studyingDavid's never been much of a scholar.loaf verb/ləʊf/US pronunciation symbol/loʊf/ v [I] informalto avoid activity, especially workStop loafing (about/around) and get on with cleaning the windows!intoxicated adjective/ɪnˈtɒk.sɪ.keɪ.tɪd/US pronunciation symbol/-ˈtɑːk.sɪ.keɪ.t ̬ɪd/ adj•formal drunkShe was charged with driving while intoxicated.•excited, happy and slightly out of control because of an experience such as love, success, etcShe was understandably intoxicated by her success in the national competition.recital noun/rɪˈsaɪ.təl/US pronunciation symbol/-t ̬əl/ n [C]•a performance of music or poetry, usually given by one person or a small group of peopleI went to a violin recital today.He is giving a recital of Bach's sonatas.•a detailed description of something or a list of thingsShe gave us a long, boring recital of all her troubles.ephemeral adjective/ɪˈfem.ər.əl/US pronunciation symbol/-ɚ-/ adjlasting for only a short timeFame in the world of rock and pop is largely ephemeral.eternal adjective/ɪˈtɜː.nəl/US pronunciation symbol/-ˈtɝː-/ adjlasting forever or for a very long timeThe company is engaged in the eternal search for a product that will lead the market.Will you two never stop your eternal arguing!eternallyadverb/ɪˈtɜː.nəl.i/US pronunciation symbol/-ˈtɝː-/ advthe eternally changing seasonseternally weary/sad/cheerfulformal I'd be eternally (= very or always) grateful if you could arrange it.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you Masude!
    Welcome !

As you see I'm writing my favorite story there " The little prince " which is written by Antoine De Saint Exoprey a French writer and all those words are from that story and I'm writing there chapter by chapter. If you follow chapters those words are so useful. Thank you very much for your attention.
    masoud said:
    thanks for your nice vocab.
    ive just joined this group.could you possibly explain for me how doyou choose this words.
    do you study special book in this group?
  • thanks for your nice vocab.
    ive just joined this group.could you possibly explain for me how doyou choose this words.
    do you study special book in this group?
This reply was deleted.