Busy or boring holiday?

Welcome to everyone who'd be joining soon - I'm starting to work on your invitations asap! To get you into the right spirit for next semester, I'd like to invite you to tell us about your holiday! Have you been visiting another city (or country!)? How did you keep yourself busy? Was it exciting, or did you again have a boring holiday as usual?! Come on, pse tell us!

To start the discussion, I'll tell you briefly about my (mostly boring!) holiday! Amongst others, I visited an old friend in Tangshan for about a week just prior to Chinese new year. He was a Post Grad student at our university before and one of my old students. We were also tennis partners. Although he was working most of the time, we did play some tennis on the Saturday, watched some movies, played billiards, talked much (so that he could practice his English, of course!), and ate a lot (and he was cooking for us, mostly!). I had gone there by bullet train which only took 90 minutes for each trip!

Apart from that, I read a lot (I am a bookworm!), read online news sites, got my emails updated, watched some movies, walked a lot (to Shoushan, the beach, and to the river), and lastly, I have been studying the Chinese language (around 3 hours per day, most days)! So, I kept myself out of mischief!

Now it's your turn! [Of course I hope to hear from at least one of you that you've practiced some English ...!]

John

P.S. As soon as our classes start next month, I'll start new groups for each class and I'll send you your invites to join your group. We can then continue our discussions in the new groups.

P1020472.JPG

me and Gavin.jpg

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• In fact, I did not lose too much money, about 75 RMB. But reapply these cards is complex and bother thing. It waste time. And my roommates yunping and xuanyu can not join in the groups "Liaoning technical university", because maybe they do not have invitation. Could you help them solve the problem. Thank you, teacher. And hope to see you next week.

• Thanks for the feedback, WQ! About your friends, I have forwarded another invitation to Xuanyu (actually one from both groups - the university group and the class group). But I don't find Yunping's name! So, pse ask her to to send me more info about her registration on the website, or you can give it to me (use qq or a PM - personal message - as I don't want you to give me the detail here as others can read it). I need her email address she used to register, date and username. Thank you.

• I have sent a message yo you about yunping, have you seen it, teacher?

• This reply was deleted.
    • Thank you for your comment, Eva; and I miss you too! Glad you had a good Spring festival. But you have to explain to me what you wanted to tell me about your sister! Did you mean she was abroad and returned to her home country, or what?! Where was she? Oh, you think this holiday was too short?! I agree with you for the students' sake, but as far as myself is concerned, I am glad it is over as I don't like the holidays! So, in contrast with you (and the rest of the students!), I am not looking forward to the long summer holiday! Haha, I guess I'm a crazy teacher! Okay, see you next week! :)

• Hi Rock. Miss you guys too. Glad you are getting excited now! Hope we'll have a good time this semester! See you on Monday! ;-)

• Teacher:I'm so happy to see you again.This short holiday because the Spring Festival seems even shorter.This holiday I have many meets to participate,I met my relatives and my old classmates and my friends.In China,Spring Festival means reunion,so I enjoy the life of family,because the time I can stay in my home and spend with my families will be less as the time goes by.And in this holiday,I read passages and news everyday.The most effect me is that when I saw my old classmates I found that they mature than me,so I think I should effort more to improve myself.I read you are study Chinese now,my favorite subject is Chinese all the time,but what a pity there is no Chinese class in my university' lesson.So I'd like to help you to learn Chinese,or Chinese ancient passages when you need,Maybe I can.In a word,this holiday is so short,but I appreciate I can Lantern Festival at home this year,hope to see you.

• Thank you for your comment, Ren Zhihong; and I'm happy to see you too! Glad you had a good holiday! Mine was quite boring, I think! Yes, of course I must study Chinese; I want to stay in this country and it would only be right to try to speak the language one day. Thanks for the offer to help, but I have a Chinese tutor who is giving me two classes per week (or supposed to, but we haven't started for this semester yet). It's however going to take a long time (they say it takes the average foreigner at least 8 years before she/he can speak conversational Chinese - 4 years more for me!). I thought your favourite language was English as I noticed that you are such a diligent English language student! See you next week! :)

• You're welcome teacher,maybe you can take within 8 years as other foreign learners or faster than them,I believe you.And maybe because I like try to say language,and I try to do a English teaching assistant in our school's English Club,but I just made one class till now start from this new semester.And I sang some songs except English that in Cantonese,but just learn to pronounce some lyrics.I think learn language can be useful will be relax,although I'm not good in English.See you next week!

• Thank you for the comment, Fan Yixin. And yes, I missed you, Fan Yixin! That's the truth (as it is that I missed the rest of your class too)! Sounds like you had a nice time on your holiday (and ate too much - as most Chinese students during Spring festival!). Pity you didn't have any time for some English ... like most students too!

But to be honest with you too, FYX, get used to this website! This is going to be our 'home' now and it is a thousand times better than the old site! On this site there is life whenever you log in and that's so great! And if you look at all the features it has, then surely you must realize that it can only improve your language skills (if you use those many features and visit frequently, of course!). So, visit often and enjoy the visits! ;-)

• Thanks for the comment, Caroline. Good to know whom I can call to come and cook for me when I'm hungry! They say that the path to a man's heart goes through his stomach ... so, I guess you wouldn't have too many problems to secure your 'mr Right' one day ..! When I was in Tangshan just prior to Spring festival, my friend (a boy from our uni who finished his Post Grad studies last year) cooked a few meals for us. I was quite impressed and have even learned some cooking skills from him!

This reply was deleted.