Week 9: Thursday, 17 April 2014

(1) Stories from Morocco: Discussion to continue

My apologies for Thursday's disaster with the problem of compatibility between my USB files and the class computer. Thank you again to Liu Yufan and Crystal who tried so hard to help.

We will do Activity 4 (and 5 if there is time left) of the lesson by discussing questions about the video and learning English in Morocco. See the attachment (if you can open it ..). I have changed my pdf files now from Foxit Reader pdf to Adobe Reader pdf. I hope that would help.

(2) Discussion: Roommates

We'll do some vocabulary relating to the topic and then discuss in pairs the question about sharing our lives and rooms with others during and even after studies.

morocco-class-worksheet.pdf

ESL Library - Discussions - Roommates.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Good afternoon, teacher.Next time we will continue to discuss topics of last lesson: stories from Morocco.Roommates and then we'll talk about this topic, we will learn some words about the topic, and group discussion.In China, a four bedroom is very good.I think a bedroom four people, this is the best arrangement, if it is eight people, so there must be a thorny problem.If it is two people, it would be some cold and cheerless.Roommates in my university life plays an extremely important role, which I would like to thank them.

• I agree with you, Amy. When I was at university, I had to share with one roommate. I didn't even like it then, but then, on the other hand, I was very immature and didn't realize how important it was for my own development as person to have roommates. Today I also think four in a room are the right number, as one can really experience great camaraderie among 4 people. It should not be more, but maybe not even less!

•  hello,teacher.i think Thursday's disaster with the problem of compatibility between your USB files and the class computer is not your duty.so wouldn't say sorry.there are always some accidents happened,if we spend it in a positive way.i think we will be happy all the time.i know we will continue discussion in Morocco.and maybe we will discuss roommates.i have roommates since high school.although she is not get along well with,i try my best to make friends with her.now,we are live in different city,but she always miss me.this year,i have new roommates,they are verycute,and i believe we can have wonderful memories. 

• Jiang Chunyu, you better speak nicely about your current roommates as I am sure they are all in your class ... So, you have no choice than to be kind to them!

• teacher,i think you misunderstand me.i said my roommate who  is not get along well with is in my high school.2 years ago.and now,we are good friends.

• I didn't misunderstand you, Jiang Chunyu! You said, "this year you have new roommates and they are very cute". They are probably your classmates too and they might read here; so, that's why I said to you what I said. Have you ever heard of "tongue in the cheek"? Maybe not, because if you did, you would have understood what I meant!

• When I was a child, I roomed with my elder sister, she is two years older than me, we get along well with each other and we rarely have a quarrel. When I was in junior high school, I began to live in a dorm with others, and I found there was so many problems when lived with other roommates. For example, we have to share public goods in dorm, neat freaks don't suit slobs,and it is the same problem  between night haws and early birds. But for me,I have lived in dorm for about 6 years now, so, it is not very difficult for me to adapt to the life of room sharing during college.

• Thank you, Wang Jiajia. Yes, it is easier for young people to share rooms. But I think there maybe too many students in the dormitory rooms in China. I saw in Fuxin at our main campus that there were up to 6 and even 8 students in some rooms. That is crazy! I think 4 must be the maximum. When I was at university, only Freshmen and Sophomores had to share rooms with another student, but two students per room wasn't bad. And from one's third year (Junior year) one gets your own bedroom. But I guess there are too many students in China to do the same! However, I agree with you that it can be quite difficult when neat and sloppy students have to share rooms (and the night owls and the early birds)! And what about the smokers in the boys' dormitories ...! To have a smoker in one's bedroom must be a nightmare! I guess it must be easier to share a room in the girls' dormitories than in the boys'!

• Good afternoon,teacher! I am happy to be the first one to comment this discussion.And I feel sorry for last class's wasted time.I think next time we can do better.^_^

We still can not open the attachment,not only the pictures,but also the video. Maybe there is something wrong with the website.I will send you some screenshots on the QQ to let you know.Only one of us can see the pictures on the page and open the attachment or watch the video.We are confused and don't know why.She send the pictures to us every time so that we can see them.But she can't send a video.So we can't watch the video on the website on the computer.Next time I will have a try whether the mobile phone can download it.

About next class,I know that we will first continue the questions about learning English in Morocco.Then we will do some vocabularies and have a discussion about our roommates. We will work in pairs to ask and answer some different questions about our ideal roommate and read a short passage about it.I think my roommates are my good friends.I would like to talk about this topic in next class.Looking forward to Thursday.  :)

http://video.So/
    • Thank you for the first comment, Liu Yufan. As I said to you on qq, I can't understand this phenomenon about the students not being able to open the attachments and even view the pictures. How is it possible? It wasn't like that in the beginning of the semester. And I can't just forget about the website. This website is of great importance to me for teaching my classes. But as it is now, it is of little help and meaningless. I have asked Meng Guimao to go and see Xiao Hao and investigate. I hope they can get behind this problem.

But what baffles me totally, is that you said there is ONE student who can open the attachments and view the pictures ... How is that possible, and how is she doing it? Which program is she using? That is the answer. If it wasn't for that, I would have believed that the problem might be at the website, but because there are a few students (like Xiao Hao) who are experiencing no problems at the website, it is clear to me (and the website admin) that the problem lies at Liao Gongda ... Where else?

I am using the Adobe Reader pdf program. It is the most common program for opening and reading files. With that, I use Adobe Flash Player to open videos and pictures. Surely that program must be available in China too? Is it not a matter of the students that can't read the download instructions in English? What are you using to open files and watch videos and view pictures? There must be an answer!

This reply was deleted.