Week 6a: Tuesday, 24 March 2014

(1) Culture lesson about the Republic of South Africa

Introduction: Nelson Mandela called South Africa a rainbow nation at peace with itself and the world. 75% of the people in South Africa are black. The country was very poor, but now every year millions of tourists go to South Africa on safari.

(2) Enjoy English: Going Abroad - discuss and answer relevant questions in pairs.

SA x1 - South Africa.pdf

SA x2 - Rainbow Nation.pdf

Topic x10 - Going Abroad.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dear,John.After reading the South Africa,we can see that the article mainly tells the population,language and wildlife about South Africa.The total of Zulu in South Africa is more than any other,and they are so generous that it's normal for them to give it to you if you say you like something they have. In addition, the South Africa attracts millions of visitors on safari every year,and the best times to see animals are the early morning and early evening.

• Wang Jiajia, I noticed you on the website late last night, but I didn't see your comment. So, I was under the impression that you didn't comment. And that's why I asked you about that today. In the mean time you did leave a comment here, BUT why did you not tell me that in class?! You did say something about visiting late night, but I didn't hear you saying that you made a comment.

So, thank you for your comment. You are the ONLY student from your class that has reflected on the content of the lesson. That is the sole purpose of this Group - to post the lessons so that students can prepare for the class and show me in their comments that they know what the lesson will be about. Only you have opened the attachment and commented accordingly. Thank you.

Oh, and sorry for making such a fuzz about the name plate ... I'll bring you another one to the next class.

• Teacher, for this matter, I want to say sorry that I didn't say clearly in class. I said ''I just download the software and I leave it very late''. I didn't make myself be well undstood.When it comes to the name plate, I want to say something. Usually, I put it in the notebook every time after class, and bring the notebook to class.But one day, I put the noteboook in the study area, someone took it away and I failed to find it anywhere. And I didn't tell you this thing in time.So when the class begin, I could do nothing but to make one name plate by myself,it was my mistake.I am very appreciate it that you will bring me another one to the next class.This time, I will save it well.

http://time.So/
      See related links to what you are looking for.
  • Good evening teacher!tell you the truth,I was a science student in the senior high student.so I’m not familiar with Geography .I have acess to the Internet to check the information about south Africa .I have learned that the local conditions and customs of South Africa from the Internet .So I’m full of interest in South Africa now .This a good topic .I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s class . See you tomorrow !
    • I am glad to read that you have looked up some information about South Africa on the Internet, Pauline. As I told Cao Mengtao above, we didn't cover much of the South African culture and customs today. Sorry for that. Maybe another day.

• Hello,John.In fact ,I know  little about South Africa .So I look forward to this class.I want to know the people , the customs, the culture and the scenery of South Africa.It's so interesting and amazing.I think I can learn much and open my eyes though this class.

• Cao Mengtao, unfortunately the class today didn't turn out the exciting one you had envisioned; sorry. Without trying to make excuses for my own errors, I have to say that it would have been easier for me had the class read through the lesson material I have attached. Then we wouldn't have gone through it in such detail and we could have discussed more about the culture and other issues. I can't understand that many of your classmates said they couldn't open the attachments. So, we didn't discuss that much today, unfortunately. Maybe another time.

• Good evening,teacher! I am sorry that I write this comment a little late,because it had something wrong with my computer these days.

About the Republic of South Africa,I know that it is a country which is rich in diamonds. I learnt this country on the class of the high school. The scene in the South Africa is pretty good . And it is also one of the most influential countries in Africa now.I think we can learn more things about this beautiful country in tomorrow's class. What's more ,we will discuss some questions about going abroad in tomorrow's class. It is necessary for us to learn something about these. I hope some day I can travel to the South Africa .    :)

• Thank you for the comment, Liu Yufan. Glad to read that you too have learned a little about another country. Yes, maybe South Africa is one of the more influential countries in Africa, but before 2000 that country had the strongest economy and was the richest and most developed country in Africa. After Mandela (he was president from 1994 to 1999), the country slid into extremely bad governance, corruption and incompetence and lost the position to Nigeria that is today the biggest economy in Africa (RSA is no 2 now). It is our experience that the black people of Africa is quite incompetent when they have to govern countries.

Glad to read that you have a vision of traveling abroad one day. Not many people have that ambition. I hope that your dreams would come true one day!

• Hi  teaacher .On hearing the news that we will learn the culture about South Africa ,I'm so glad.I like to learn foreign culture .Well ,l will remember the diamond  right away when someone  reffer  to South Africa  .And I like local people's eathusiasm .In  my  mind ,they are friendly.I'm  expecting tomorrow's class.

This reply was deleted.