Week 5: Thursday, 20 March 2014

(1) http://edition.englishclub.com/category/listening-news/

From next week we will listen to the week's news item through one of the students telling the class. Though the news item has a written script too, the purpose of the exercise is that students listen to the news as read by Tara. So, try that first!

(2) Then we will continue where we stopped in the last class and every group will perform their little drama about Maria and Nduku. Every group will get 5 minutes.

(3) Music lesson: "Nine million bicycles" by Katie Melua. Learn some vocabulary and discuss the lyrics of the song.

(4) Round the Houses: rolling the dice and answer some questions in small groups (pairs) - if time permits.

P.S. Comments must be at least 2 lines in length and it must reflect on the content of the lesson so that I can see the student knows what the lesson is about. And comments are to be submitted BEFORE the lesson and NOT afterwards (though students are welcome if they also want to post a comment after the lesson too, but it wouldn't count towards the final semester grades).

Listening - NINE mil bicycles_S.pdf

Katie Melua-Nine Million Bicycles.mp3

Round the houses.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Glad to hear your group is ready to perform the drama for the class, Crystal! And if you want to listen to more music of Katie Melua, I have provided the link to Ada above (jango music).

• ok,thank you.I will listen more.

• Firstly,discuss the lyrics of"Nine million bicycles" by Katie Melua and learn some vocabulary.

“There are six billion people in the world
    More or less

And it makes me feel quite small

But you're the one I love the most of all”

Those remind me of a well-known Chinese saying :” You are only one for me in this multifarious world..” This song is a Adagio lyrical jazz ditty, Yang Lan(a famous presenter in China)once elected it as her blog background music.It is a wonderful song. Katie Melua is a wonderful singer.And I also like her another song(I Will Be There)

Secondly,continuing where we stopped in the last class and every group will perform their little drama about Maria and Nduku.

At last, if time permits,we will roll the dice and answer some questions in small groups.

• Wow Ada, now you have given such an outstanding comment, I am very impressed! Thank you!

I don't know that song from Katie, but I know some other songs. My favourite from her is "If I were a sailboat". If you want to listen to some more songs from her, listen here: http://www.jango.com/music/Katie+Melua?l=0

I hope your classmates will notice this very nice piece of work from you ..! :)

• Hello,teacher.I am Kelly .i realize that you would let one of us retell the news which we have just read.i think it is a good way for we each to concern about the event around the world .And it could make our sight more widely .Besides,listening English songs is also a great way to improve our feeling over English .For me,i like English songs very much .especially Taylor Swift .i think her songs are so attracted and they can impress me a lot .i will try to read and listen to more and more news and songs about English .Hope to meet the next exciting class!

•       Hello, teacher.  First, I read the message just now.   What is more, I think the next class is very exciting.  It is a good idea that we learn vocabulary of a song. I will improve level of my English by this way. I love this amusing way that I learn English. 

• Thank you, Linlin. But you mention no other details about the lesson! Do you know the singer? Have you heard the song before? Have you read the lyrics of the song? What do you think of the song? I agree that you will learn some vocabulary from the song, but there is more to learn (I hope)! ;-)

• Hello,Jhon. I know you will make one of the students retell the news that he listened on the web site in the next lesson.And I have heard the news about no trace of Malaysian Airliner.But I found my tone is very diffierent from the sound recording.I tried to read many times,but I felt my tone of voice was also strange.How should I do?

• Thank you for the comment, Ada. Please read my comment to Tian Jing on the first page to this group where she asked me a similar question. But apart from the news, did you find anything else we are going to do in the next lesson?!

This reply was deleted.