Week 5: Thursday, 20 March 2014

(1) http://edition.englishclub.com/category/listening-news/

From next week we will listen to the week's news item through one of the students telling the class. Though the news item has a written script too, the purpose of the exercise is that students listen to the news as read by Tara. So, try that first!

(2) Then we will continue where we stopped in the last class and every group will perform their little drama about Maria and Nduku. Every group will get 5 minutes.

(3) Music lesson: "Nine million bicycles" by Katie Melua. Learn some vocabulary and discuss the lyrics of the song.

(4) Round the Houses: rolling the dice and answer some questions in small groups (pairs) - if time permits.

P.S. Comments must be at least 2 lines in length and it must reflect on the content of the lesson so that I can see the student knows what the lesson is about. And comments are to be submitted BEFORE the lesson and NOT afterwards (though students are welcome if they also want to post a comment after the lesson too, but it wouldn't count towards the final semester grades).

Listening - NINE mil bicycles_S.pdf

Katie Melua-Nine Million Bicycles.mp3

Round the houses.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• CC, please read my comment to Jiang Chunyu. There are no short cuts to success; only hard work!

• Tian Jing, what kind of comment is this? Did you write in invisible ink?!

• sorry,teacher.There are some problem in my computer so my comment is invisible

• hi,teacher.i'm surprised that you change my name in a timely manner.i also listened the song that you recommend.that's so soft and quiet.i like it .i can feel 'miss' from the song,ever so some sads. i continue write the dialogue in the class,and share with other students in my group. in last class,i felt different style from our class in past.i have so much intersts.and i will hold to read english every morning. although i speak not very fluent now, i think i will improve.i also have some difficult on studing english .my listening is not good,sometimes i can't understand what you said. so,would you give me some suggestions? 

• Thanks for the comment, Hetty. I'm glad to hear that you and your group are ready to perform the drama tomorrow. There will be plenty of role plays this semester with your partner in the class and by the end of the semester you wouldn't be nervous anymore to speak English; I am sure!

About improving your listening, work more on that language skill. That means listen, listen, listen and listen more! There are no shortcuts! Go to the listening page here as there are many listening exercises: http://www.englishclub.com/listening/index.htm . And listen to Tara's news every week! And if you want more news items in English to practice your listening, listen to some news radios from other countries here: http://www.englishclub.com/listening/radio.htm  . I think you would find Al Jazeera on this page the best as they are also not mother tongue speakers and I think their accent is easier to follow.

• thank you very much ,teacher. i will go to the web,listening as much as possible .hope my listening have a great progress. we can strive together

•     hi,teacher.I am amy.Firstly,I have listend to the english news about the baby hatch,it make me thinking.I think the goverment should pay more attention to this matter.Then our group is ready to perform the little drama about Maria and Nduku and we will try our best to do it.Then I listen to the song "Nine million bicycles" by Katie Melua,The song is very beautiful,especially the lyrics ,and i have to say i am touched."Finally,i am interested in round the houses,i think it will be so fun.i am looking forward to it.

• I'm looking forward to the performance of the different dramas tomorrow, Amy! But with Tara's news item first, and later the music lesson after the dramas, I'm not sure whether we will have time for the 'Round the Houses' game. Let's wait and see. :)

• Hthe next clthe next class .In mthe next class.In my view ,we willmake great progress ,if we do more pratices. We will continue to have a commnication bttween the good friends.And it will very fun.lhe next class.In my view ,listening mory will make great progress in English perhension view , listening moril make great progressinEngli
This reply was deleted.