Week 5: Thursday, 20 March 2014

(1) http://edition.englishclub.com/category/listening-news/

From next week we will listen to the week's news item through one of the students telling the class. Though the news item has a written script too, the purpose of the exercise is that students listen to the news as read by Tara. So, try that first!

(2) Then we will continue where we stopped in the last class and every group will perform their little drama about Maria and Nduku. Every group will get 5 minutes.

(3) Music lesson: "Nine million bicycles" by Katie Melua. Learn some vocabulary and discuss the lyrics of the song.

(4) Round the Houses: rolling the dice and answer some questions in small groups (pairs) - if time permits.

P.S. Comments must be at least 2 lines in length and it must reflect on the content of the lesson so that I can see the student knows what the lesson is about. And comments are to be submitted BEFORE the lesson and NOT afterwards (though students are welcome if they also want to post a comment after the lesson too, but it wouldn't count towards the final semester grades).

Listening - NINE mil bicycles_S.pdf

Katie Melua-Nine Million Bicycles.mp3

Round the houses.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello,teacher,I like the form of last lesson.In class,we can not only lean how to write in English,but also can make us exercise our oral English.On the other hand,it also let us lean how to work in a team.I know that I am poor in spoken English,but I will try my best to improve it.

• Yes, teamwork is important to build confidence. We will do more role plays this semester in pairs for that very reason. and by the end of the semester, you would have enough courage to speak English easier. ;-)

• Hello,teacher.I have listened to the song just now,it sounds good,and the lyrics are easy to understand.But one bad thing is that I can only translate them into Chinese,but I really can't understand the meaning of them very well!Also,I have read the news and we have discussed the little drama already.Now,I'm expecting to the class tomorrow.See you tomorrow,teacher!

• Thank you,teacher.I will study harder and harder,and I will try my best to do everything well.
    • Well Jackie, you have discovered how to change your name back! And you know how to make the comments here; so, you have learned fast! I am glad to see that. If the lyrics are easy to understand (I know it is!), you don't have to translate it to Chinese! And don't worry about the meaning, as long as you can follow the words and understand it!

• hello ,teacher.the news read by Tara that I have been listened,i think the speed of her speaking is proper for me beacouse I can follow her. I like the style of  "Nine million bicycles" but i could not understand  the lyrics of the song well.And I am looking forward to the lesson at tomorrow

• Tian Jing, you don't have to understand the lyrics; as long as you can read it and follow it when she sings it (while reading it)! And if there are words you don't understand, you must look it up and learn it!

• After listening the news i amlost can follow her and understang the main idea .The song is soft but Ido not like the style of it ,I like blue.About the drama ,it is so interting that we all enjoy it .I like this kind of the studying atmosphere

• I'm glad that you can almost follow her when she sings, Zhou Ying. That is one of the reasons I chose the song because I know it is a slow song and easier to follow the lyrics. Tomorrow I will hand out copies of the lyrics so that the class can follow it easier.

•     Hello,John.Our group have got ready to drama,so we will try our best to play .I am listening the music Nine Million Bicycles now,the song is comfortable.I have tried to read the lyrics but I find my pronunciation is not marked.I am very worry about it.And I have listened the news,it is hard for me to write the right words in the blank.Can you give me some advices?Thank you .

This reply was deleted.