Week 16b: Thursday, 5 June 2014

(1) Well, it's this time of the year again and we have arrived at the end of this course for this semester. Some of you may be very happy for that, but some of you who are serious about English would say goodbye with a little regret, I think. Whether my students liked me or not (which is not important to me as I do not value popularity), and whether it sometimes looked like I never appreciated you (as I often felt obliged to 'haul you over the coals'/reprimand you), don't be mislead, as I will definitely miss you (as I will miss my other students). My most enjoyable times are when I am in the classroom with my students (whether the sometimes make me angry, or not!).

Thank you to those of you who had such good attitudes and showed it through your class contributions and your comments here on the website. You make it a pleasure for a teacher to teach! I greet you with my school motto in Latin:

SOL JUSTITAE ILLUSTRA NOS

(MAY THE SON OF RIGHTEOUSNESS SHINE ON YOU)

(2) Awards of Appreciation

A short awards ceremony would be held just before the movie starts to show my appreciation to the students for good performances and contributions. Awards would be in the following categories:

Best 3 performances in oral presentation

Best result in vocab paper

Best EC comments

Best class contributions

(3) Movie

We'll end off our classes with a relaxing movie (with subtitles ..).

P.S. Students don't have to comment for this last class, except if you would really like to. I will still reply to every comment though. ;-)

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi,teacher.we will be on the last class of this term,maybe this is an end,but also can be regarded as a beginning.At least,for me it's a start.I admit that I have many shortcomings and a lot of ways I do not very well,such as comments.Although I already known,many things I failed to express.What's more,I really need to improve my English and I will do my best for next semester and make changes.I'm looking forward to watching the movie,see you tomorrow.

• Thank you for taking the time to comment, Hou Yan. I'm taking note of what you're saying and having some retrospect. I appreciate your positive outlook and sentiments about improving your language skills. I hope that I can again assist you in that next semester. And don't forget to already start this summer holiday and work on your listening skills! ;-)

• Hello,teacher!The next class is the semester's last class,i'm sorry to hear that.Sometimes,i think you are too strict with us,as if whatever we do can't make you feel satisfied,however,i know the more serious you are,the better we will be.I'm glad that i can become one of your students to learn oral English,although i didn't do well in your class.The next class,before we watch the movie,we will a small ceremony,i hope the hardworking students can have a good luck!Thank you!

• Thanks for the comment, Maxine. Maybe you are right about that (being too strict); I'm working on that! But as you said, students perform better when a teacher is strict! However, it is not my intention to bring fear into the classroom (some students stay afraid of me for a long time before they realize that my intentions are not to harm them). My aim, amongst others, is that students can enjoy the classes, and not looking up to coming to this class. If that stays like that all the time, then the teacher is failing. I hope we can change that. But I don't think it is going to depend only on me! So, let's hope for the best and be positive about next semester's classes. And don't forget to work on your listening skills this summer holiday, PLEASE! ;-)

• Good morning,teacher.How time flies and we have gone through a semester little by little.Now in retrospect,we had a unforgettable time.You are a teacher with firm principle.So although we had a lot of difficulties,we learned a lot.Not only English,but also something profound. I believe that next semester will be smoother.And about the oral English,we are still in the early stage.For me,I can understand most of what you said,but it seems a little hurry for me to make a right sentence quickly to express myself.And that's why I always response your questions slowly and hesitantly.(I mean when I explain something to you in the class.)We have a long long way to go in the oral English..And I will try my best to be better. I know although sometimes you are strict, you are right and you want to help us. ;) So I will surely miss you and your class.By the way, I really want to tell you when you imitate something in the class(like lion's roar or what the Chinese parents like),you are so cute!(I don't know whether the "cute" is proper but I can't remember another word ) ;) Sometimes we really love you.  Hmm..That's all! See you tomorrow in the media room.~  ^_^*

• Thank you for a very valued comment, Liu Yufan. I knew from the beginning that you had the right attitude towards class and that I could rely on you. So, thank you for your support and contributions to make our class functioning better. I really appreciate you. As I said to Hetty, I am awfully sorry for getting too often upset with the class. Maybe that reaction was provoked by the class, but that is still no excuse for me losing my temper (and maybe they really couldn't help ..?). I apologize for that. You can be sure that I do not accept myself as I am, as I know I have too many shortcomings; so, I will also continue working on myself to at least try to improve my approach and treatment of the class. I don't want the class to always have fear (like your friend ..) when I am in their class; that should change as everyone has to get the opportunity to enjoy their classes. I also feel that our classes would improve in the next semester.

Haha, so it's not only me that find some students to be cute (like CC and some others ..!); they also view the teacher through different glasses on different days ..! However, you say, "sometimes we really love you" .... The implication of such a statement is that, "other times we really hate you" ..! But even if not completely true, I think I still deserve that fair and square! And if I say that I love your class, I am sure that not half of the class would believe me ..! So, I won't say that now and keep my feelings in my heart for now .. ;-)

Are the freshmen students still busy lately, Liu Yufan? Something that I noticed here, actually worries me ... Tomorrow is our last class and this post has only been viewed 14 times (and that includes you, Hetty, and myself that has been on this post at least twice after posting - thus 10 views from about 25 students). Are the students not interested in tomorrow's class? Surely they have all received the email notice when I posted this lesson on Friday last week??? Is the attitude of your class right, or is this now their justice ...? I'm just asking.

• hi.teacher.Become the first one to reply again is very honored.time goes by soon, i will be a sophomore student.and in LiaoNing technical university is nearly a year.in this year,we know many friends.we gain friendship or love and some other things.still remember the first class,i hardly ever hear what you said clearly.because this the first time i have Foreign teachers lesson. that is very impressive in my life. in process of studying English we have many problems.but i remember you always give us many advice patiently for example some url of websites.i am so sorry i hardly ever to go and learn.in this semester,we have many subjects to learn.so that we can't spend too much time to learn English.in the next semester will be better. like you said,our most enjoyable times are when we are in the classroom with you. although sometimes we let you get angry.i know that you are responsible and hope everyone can make progress in English.hope we study hard. but there are several boys make you disappointed.i believe that they will back next semester. the words you said "MAY THE SON OF RIGHTEOUSNESS SHINE ON YOU" is very similar with my previous teachers.i know that's every teachers'  biggest hope.and i will try my best to learn English. by the way,i am pray i am the lucky guy to have a award.;}.i think the last class must be a good ending.good start to a good end.goodbye teacher,i am hetty.;) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) ;) to be continuing....

• Thank you for the nice comment, Hetty. I appreciate this last effort.  I am glad to hear that you would be a sophomore student soon - and that you would have a little more time! You mentioned something important I should remember for future classes, and that is that as freshman you have so many other classes. I should bear that in mind with my future freshmen as I realize I'm very hard on my students to perform. So, thank you for making mention of that.

About our English classes, I'm not so sure that most of your classmates would have enjoyed the English class ... They mostly couldn't follow what the teacher said (like you!), and then, apart from that, there was the teacher's temper that flared up too easily and probably put the fear in most of them ... So, I am not sure where you got that piece of information from! But btw, I don't enjoy losing my temper; I abhor it (as much as the students) as it is not right for me to do that. However, some classes unfortunately have the ability to easily aroused that temper (not that I'm trying to make excuses; there are no excuses for that as I know I have to work harder to control that temper). So, you may accept my apologies for making the class unpleasant too frequently by getting upset. I will continue to work on that.

Finally, one doesn't pray for things that you said you want to pray for ... getting an award, as that is not right to pray something that would be to another person's detriment (in this case, your classmates)! But tell me then, who do you pray to? Chinese people mostly have no religion (except superstitions and worshiping ancestors, I understand - and ancestors are no gods, but only human beings who are long dead). So, why pray then if you don't have a god to pray to? Or are you just kidding about that? Oh, and about those awards, I hope you would not be too disappointed ... But let's make an agreement here - if you can convince me of an area you believe you have been the best in the class, I will give you an award for that. How about that?! ;-)

• About your reply,first i want to say, my pray is the meaning of hope.only is a expect,is not pray something  would be to another person's detriment . my parents are Christian.but i am not.i know i couldn't follow what you said ,sometimes. and i admit i am not the best in the class.i think you can understand it as a Relax atmosphere.that is not a request. finally,i think most of us hope to follow what you said,but they can't Understand what you mean very well.so i am so sorry that let you feel English is unvalued.

• Thanks for taking the trouble to reply, Betty; you gave me a better picture now to understand you better. I am surprised, but glad for you to read that your parents gave you a christian upbringing. When one's parents are christian, it tells me that that person was raised with good principles and would be more prepared for life than others. I am not sure whether that was your experience too? And about the listening skills (which are actually quite absent!), I hope the students would take to heart what I suggested today and do something this holiday about their listening skills (or rather the lack of) .. That is probably our biggest problem in the classroom, I guess.

This reply was deleted.