Week 16a: Tuesday, 3 June 2014

(1) News by Tara

This week's news item would be done on Tuesday as we won't have time for that on Thursday. So, unfortunately, the news item for this week about "Pizza deliveries by drone" would be the same. Pauline and Tina would do the news first and a few of you after them. Wang Shuaitian and Maxine do not have to prepare as they know the news already.

(2) Enjoy English: The lonely girl

To see what this lesson is about, as well as the format of the lesson, pse read the attachment. And PLEASE don't copy your classmates' comments.

(3) Famous personalities:

A list of names of famous people would be supplied to the class. You would be selecting names from the list of those people you'd like to invite to give a talk/lecture. Motivate the reasons for your choice (and role plays if time permits). PLEASE don't copy my words here (or your classmate's words). If you want to comment about this part of the lesson, use YOUR OWN words or description. Thank you.

11 - W16a - Enjoy English - The Lonely Girl.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello,John.I have looked through the content and the attachments of tomorrow class.And I have known that we will do the news "Pizza Delivered By Drone"again.And I think that if I were Emily,I would accept Joan's invitation. Because I don't want someone else to be so sad especially a friend of me.And I think Joan's friends do the wrong thing to cheat their friend.That's all.See you tomorrow.

• Yes, tomorrow the rest of the class would get another opportunity to tell us the news as last week many have not been prepared (although only three have been caught out). So, if you were one of them, you can show us tomorrow that you are now prepared ..! ;-)

• Hi,teacher!Tomorrow our holidays will be over,as usual,we have to attend the class.Because I have retelled the news,I don't have to retell it agian.Additionally,we will read a story named The Lonely Girl,which tells a story about Joan,who isn't good at making friends.However,a person named Emily may help her to keep away from this suition.Last,we can select some famous people we admire to talk something about their character.Looking forward to the next class!

• Maxine, you didn't read what I wrote ... as I said you won't do the news. So, why do you want to tell the news again if you don;t have to? If you insist, I can give you a chance again!

• Hi sir ,I am tina .I know I will prepare the news and recite it by myself.I willdo it serious .I read some of the lonely girl.Joan is a lonely girl . But in my view,lonely is a good thing. WhenI stay lonely ,I will think something about future, life and different people who like or dislike me .They give me a way to recognize the person who is ture. And sometimes many things we have to finish by myself.
    • Yes, you and Pauline would surely do the news first ... Hope you would both do better than last week! And then you can tell your partner what you would have done if you were Emily as we discuss the passage about the lonely girl. But btw, to stay lonely for a little while to do some thinking, is different from being lonely because your classmates reject you. You can tell me tomorrow. ;-)

• Hello,teacher.I have read the content next class.First,we will retell the news as usual.And the news is about "Pizza deliveries by drone",Then we will enjoy a story about a lonely girl.The girl’s name is Joan,and another girl is Emily ,they are very different.Joan is lonely ,because she has no friends.On the contrary,Emily is very porpular.so I think Emily and her firends should help Joan,because we should open our arms to invite our friends,we should share our happy to other people.Then we will have a fun activity that we choose the people I'd like to invite to give a talk and we will give the reasons.I think so.Looking forword to next class.

• I'm not sure whether the last activity would be a fun activity, as it is not meant to be. But if you would have fun doing it, I wouldn't mind!  I'll write the list of names on the board and from them you can choose a few names of those you'd like to invite and then discuss it in your groups. Only if we have time, we may do some role plays as you would then pretend to be one of those personalities and your classmate would interview you. But, as I said, I don't know whether there would be time for that. We'll see tomorrow.

• Hello.teacher.I had learned something about next class .Due to the terrible expression of the  last class ,we must do the news again.We feel so sorry. Wang Shuaitian, he did so well.

I read The Lonely Girl.And i feel so sorry about Joan.In my view,a person who is introverted must be more sensitive than the other people.They may talk  less but think more than the outgoings.In many conditions , it is hard for many people to get along well with them.The saying ''Loneliness is the most terrible poverty'' impressed me a lot.I think it is true.For Joan,just because of her introversion,she missed many chance to make friends with others .In a certain extent,Interpersonal Circle decide your development.China has an old saying which told us the importance of making friends widely:Fencea row of three pilesone of three men to help.Everyone may come across the low ebb of life .If you have lots of friends,it is useful to turn to them.And the problem must be  dealt easier.Emily could be called high emotional intelligence.Comparing with the intelligence quotient ,now,the emotional intelligence maybe more important.In fact,if i were Emily,i would really feel embarrassed.But as i were Joan's friends ,i may try my best to get along with her.I think i would attend the party.I would accept her because each of us has her own responsibilities,i think we may become friends.

joan.in - This website is for sale! - joan Resources and Information.
    This website is for sale! joan.in is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what y…
    • No Kerry, we are not going to do last week's news again because of the class' bad performance on the news last week! It is because we have to do the news tomorrow (and not on Thursday) and the new news item would only be released later tonight. But I guess that would have been a valid reason to do the same news item again as many more students than the two girls I asked, had not prepared the news as they also did the maths exam the previous day! But strangely enough, my guess is that Wang Shuaitian and Maxine have both done that exam too, but they have prepared the news.

I agree, it must be terrible to be lonely because of having no friends. But as I said to Ada, remember this is China and then the situation changes, I think! In China there is something as 'face' and most people would do anything not to lose face (they are not like me who don't care!). So, if you know that you would lose face before your friends (the ones that don't like Joan) if you stick to your decision and principles, would you still befriend Joan? Tell me tomorrow (though I think I know what your answer would be)! ;-)

This reply was deleted.