Week 16a: Tuesday, 3 June 2014

(1) News by Tara

This week's news item would be done on Tuesday as we won't have time for that on Thursday. So, unfortunately, the news item for this week about "Pizza deliveries by drone" would be the same. Pauline and Tina would do the news first and a few of you after them. Wang Shuaitian and Maxine do not have to prepare as they know the news already.

(2) Enjoy English: The lonely girl

To see what this lesson is about, as well as the format of the lesson, pse read the attachment. And PLEASE don't copy your classmates' comments.

(3) Famous personalities:

A list of names of famous people would be supplied to the class. You would be selecting names from the list of those people you'd like to invite to give a talk/lecture. Motivate the reasons for your choice (and role plays if time permits). PLEASE don't copy my words here (or your classmate's words). If you want to comment about this part of the lesson, use YOUR OWN words or description. Thank you.

11 - W16a - Enjoy English - The Lonely Girl.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello,John.I have seen the content of the next lesson.Firstly,we will retell the news(Pizza Delivered By Drone)again.Secondly we will discuss the story(The Lonely Girl)I think the reason that Joan is so lonely are her character and her classmates’ ridicules.She is shy and timid,but others laugh at her ,isolate her and make an excuse to refuse her invitation. That will deepen Joan’s self-abasement,and she will feel more lonely.So if I were Emily and had no plans on Saturday,I would say ok and try my best to make my friends come to her home for a Christmas party.Then let Joan get outgoing gradually.At last,we will select a famous person from the list and invite him to give a talk, and say the reason. Looking forward to the next class.

• Thanks, Ada. I read what you said, but this is China and you know how important "face" is here (not that it is right) ... So, would you still try to befriend Joan despite knowing that your other friends may ridicule you?! You can tell me tomorrow. ;-)

•      Hello,teacher. I have known the content of the next class. First, we will do new that whose title is  Pizza deliveries by drone. Then,we will read the story about Joan and Emily. I think Joan is so shy that she do not communicate with other classmates. And if I am Emily,I will attend the party and help Joan make friend with classmates. I look forward the next class.

• Well Linlin, what would you do if you were Emily? Would you stand up for the shy Joan and show some kindness despite the risk of being rejected by your other friends? Or would you choose not to lose face in front of your other friends .. You can tell me tomorrow. :)

• Hello teacher.I have seen the work what we will do timorrow.As usual ,it's begin with the news.But the news has been did.And then ,it's a story.In my opinion,if I were Emily,I would attend the party.Well,Joan is my classmate ,and we can be good friends.I can help her .I think she must want to make friend,but she maybe so shy to talk with others.Finally,we will chose a role to play from famous people list.It's great.See you tomorrow teacher.
    • Zhou Ying, we are not necessarily going to do a role play tomorrow - read again! I said we may probably, but I'm not sure whether there would be time. After the first two parts of the class, we'll discuss some names from a list I will be writing on the board.

• hello,teacher.i have known the content about our course in next class.And i am also not outgoing,if i were invited by Emily i will become  good friend with her,because i will accept her invention and i will very  happy.And I think Zhou Enlai is a great man ,i like him .Can you  ever heared something about  him,teacher

• I think I know more about most old Chinese leaders than the Chinese students, Tian Jing, as I read many books on Chinese history and on some Chinese leaders. And the fact that the books were in English doesn't make the information in it false as the facts had been verified by Chinese people, and some books have been written by Chinese authors and translated into English. Zhou Enlai had mostly been walking in Mao's shadow as I understand it, but my guess is that at school they only teach students the good things about their leaders as the governments of the day write the history books of their countries. I have also experienced that in South Africa where there was a different history under the apartheid government before 1994, and the new government has changed that substantially. However, we won't discuss political leaders of China though. I'll write the list on the board tomorrow. :)

• Hello,teacher.I have knew that we will have the same news as last class on tomorrow.That is 'Pizza deliveries by drone'.And then I know that we will see an English story about Joan and Emily,the first one has no friends while the other one have many friends.I think,when we stay with other people,we should open our hearts to others and we should enjoy staying with the people who stay around us.And I think if I was Emily,I have many friends,I will help Joan.Because maybe she don't how to make friends with others.If they become friends Joan can meet more people and she will have her own friends.At last,we may have a role play,I think that will be funny.See you.

• We're going to discuss the short passage about a lonely girl, and not 'see' it, Jackie! And about the second part, I doubt it whether there would be time for a role play tomorrow, but the groups will at least choose and discuss some famous people.

This reply was deleted.