Week 15: Thursday, 29 May 2014

(1) News by Tara

Please LISTEN to the latest news of the week by Tara.

(2) Music lesson: "Miles Away" by Madonna

We'll listen and get to know the lyrics and practice some Phrasal verbs with 'away'.

(3) Vocabulary exercise

The vocab paper will have 20 questions of which most would be multiple choice questions. A few words need to be written too. If you revise all the vocabulary we learned this semester in our oral classes, you would not find this too difficult. Please try your best as many of you need good marks here as you didn't do so well with your oral this week. Good wishes to you.

Lesson - Miles Away - Student.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Good evening,teacher! Next class,we will first recite the latest news as usual.Then we will have a music lesson.I have listened this song and saw this attachment.I think this song is about a long-distance relationship.I read Madonna's explanation of this lyric.I think it is true sometimes.There is a Chinese saying says that "distance leads to beauty".When we are too close sometimes,we will hurt each other.So maybe it's easier for people to say things from a distance because it's safer.But for the most time,it's frustrating to be far away form each other.

At last,we will have a vocabulary text.I have prepared. And I will take my music player to listen to the song on Thursday. Looking forward to next class.  :)

• Liu Yufan, why do you 'think' the song is about a long-distance relationship if that is actually what the lesson material says?! Or do you think there can be some doubt when one reads he content? Doesn't matter, I was just curious. ;-) Interesting Chinese saying that, however; but I don't know whether I can agree that distance can lead to beauty! Maybe distance can lead to peace ..! About the vocab paper, I hope it wouldn't come as a shock to the students as they haven't done it before. The good news is that the one next semester would have the same format and would therefore be easier! But, to be honest, I believe that if a student has studied the new vocabulary we have covered during this semester, the student has no reason to fear. :)

• Hi,teacher!I have listened to the song and read the content of the next class.Firstly,we need to retell the lastest news,then,we will listen to a song,what's more,we will learn something about "away".We will have a text which is related to the semester grades,I will prepare carefully for it.I hope my efforts can get paid off!

• Maxine, if you read the attachment, then why not making a comment about the content so that I can see you know what is was about? As it is now, it looks to me as if you have only read what I wrote in this post, and nothing more. So, do you want me to believe you, or not? I want to ..

• Hello,teacher.I have seen the content.I know we still have to listen the latest news.Then I excited that  we will have a music lesson.We will listen to"miles away".That's a song most people who work can relate to.I have just listened this song,I like the song very much.I want to know more about this song and I will search the song on Internet.Last,we will revise the vocabulary we learnt this semester.I will try my best to complete it.See you!

• Thank you for the comment, Tan Jingping. However, I believe that my reply to Han Qing applies to you too. So, please read it. Thank you.

• Hell,teacher!I have known what we will do in the next class.First,we will do the news as usual,but it is the last news,and I will prepare more carefully.And then,we will listen to a song called Miles Away.We will learn some phrases about it and I will listen to it later.Last,we will have a vocabulary exercise about the words we have learned ,so I need to review the words to try my best to get good marks.Besides,I know that my oral English is not good and I will practise it in my daily life.

• Thanks for the comment, Han Qing. What I however would like to know, is whether you've opened and read the attachment to this lesson? And about the vocabulary 'exercise', I hope you know that your marks you get in that paper would go toward your final semester score. But lastly, what are you doing to improve your oral English besides having (a compulsory) English class? And what your listening skills ...? Most Chinese students' oral and listening skills are below average. Do you know why? Because they do not justify spending some additional private time improving it. I believe that is a sign of lack of vision as they only concentrate on their short-term future (passing exams, graduate and getting jobs) and don't realize how improved English skills would benefit their medium and long-term futures. I hope you would start understanding this as it may help you in future.

This reply was deleted.