Week 14a: Tuesday, 20 May 2014

(1) News by Tara

We'll do the news today as there won't be time at the next class as we would then do the orals. There would therefore not be a new news item before we have the class on Tuesday morning. Please choose from any of the news items which we haven't done this semester (there is a list). Please don't copy each other (decide on your own news item). Cynthia and Mary, do you understand?

(2) Learning of English in Brazil:

We will continue the questions and discussion in activity 6 and 7 which we haven't finished at the last class. I will particularly be interested in question 11 of Activity 6.

(3) Skills builders: School issues

We'll discuss some questions about school life in general (see the attachment).

brazil-class-worksheet.pdf

11 - W14b - school.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

•   First, I don't think learning a second language is the same as learning a first language, though we hope to do so, when we learn a second language, we usually could't forget our first language totally. Then, I don't think that music can help us a lot in learning English, the young boys and girls are prefer to listen to popular  songs, and most of popular songs are song very quickly, so it's hard for us to follow. In the video, the students learn English in a good educational environment, they study from the heart, but most of china's students are forced  to learn English, sometimes, they just learn to pass the exams, this just is my opinion, thank you.

• Learning through music is possible when one has the lyrics of the song to look at when listening. Yes, I am very aware of the motivation of the Chinese students to learn English ... in most occasions there is actually no motivation, as you have mentioned. Most of them can't understand the need to learn English. It is as if they have no ambition. Or, if they have some ambition, that doesn't stretch beyond China's borders. So shortsighted and narrow-minded. What about you, Wang Jiajia? Do you study English just to pass exams?

• Good evening ,John.I'm sorry for that I comment so late,because my computer had some trouble.I know the   content of next class.First we'll do the news next class rather than Thursday.In addition,we'll continue the questions which we haven't finished at the last class.Last class,you said that you can't understand us because we all know that English website can help us improve our English skills,we still don't use it,Maybe you are right.But don't worry.We will try our best to use the English club preferably.Finally,We'll discuss some questions about school life in general.I think it's an interesting topic.

thursday.in - This website is for sale! - thursday Resources and Information.
    This website is for sale! thursday.in is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of wha…
    • Well, I hope so, Nancy. But I'm not sure whether I can go on your word (though I know I can trust you); your class has to prove herself to me ..

• Hello,John.I have listened the news about weather even it was five months ago.In my opinions,I am most  interested in the songs which are the way of learning English by the boy in the video.And when I was a child,I  like the music class and art class best,because I was very happy to have such class and I really enjoy it.I think it's necessary for children to study art and music education.From it ,children can  have more  freedom to imagine and think,I think it's important for children.And they will have a good time. I am looking forward to the  next class.

http://ago.In/
    See related links to what you are looking for.
    • Yes, listening to English songs may be nice, but one should have the lyrics available to follow the words as some of those songs are very fast and are difficult to follow. I agree, art and music classes can be very meaningful. However, I'm not sure whether many children would like to have those classes. Maybe it is because they don't understand the meaning of art and music in the human's life ..

• hi,john ,this is Ann.In the next class,We'll do the news first. There would not be a new news,so we should choose from the news items which we haven't done this semester. Then we will continue the discussion in activity 6 and 7 which we haven't finished, about question 11 of Activity 6,I think it is the serious attitude to learning English which we lack.last we will discuss some question about test ,subject,teachers and my study attitude.

• Hello ,teacher.Time pasts quickly and we will have a new class tomorrow.Because we won't have time to have news on next class,so we will have the news in tomorrow's class.This is the first time that we have news on Tuesday.So I have listened to a news just now.The title of the news is Love Lock Ritual May End in Paris.And then I have knew that we will continue learning the English of Brazil.I am very interested in this topic because I really love Brazil.Now I am looking forward to tomorrow 's class .See you ,teacher
  •    Good evening,teacher.  I have known the content about the next class.  In the class, we will share the new that we prepared. Then,we will discuss a lot of probloms that children learn English in Brazil. What is more,we will have a new discussion about school life.  I look forward to the next class.

In my opinion,school life is very tired for student in china. Most of student have to stay up late in order to finish homework.  And they must get up early for the class tomorrow.  They are very tired everyday.

• Hello, teacher. I know we will going to repeat the news next class as usual. About the news, the use of antibiotics and some drugs, become the main reason of the vultures and other animals have declined even endangered. This will make the food chain is destroyed, will eventually bring some trouble for humans and other animals. Then, we will continue to talk about video and learn, I think in the video, I am most interested in the local way of learning English by a foreign youth, make full use of network and music is a good choice to learn English. While China's education way tend to be relatively rigid, but learning a language needs a lot of practice. In the end, I think exams and homework assignments are helpful for learning, students should be full-time. Looking forward to meet you, teacher. 

This reply was deleted.