Week 13: Thursday, 14 May 2014

(1) News by Tara

(2) Video lesson: Thoughts from Brazil

P.S.

1. Class will be in classroom 203 Erya.

2. Picture 3 is about a famous city in Brazil. Which city? Which statue is making that city famous? The world's greatest sports event takes place in Brazil from 12 June to 13 July 2014. What is it called? Why are we watching this video? What will we learn?

3. Video to be viewed here (and annexures): http://www.englishclub.com/esl-videos/thoughts-from-brazil/nosubs.htm

brazil-class-worksheet.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Good morning,John.I have listened the news about homosexual ,I think it's a special topic ,because there are still some people disagree with it.From the vido ,I learned English is very important and there are somebody do hard in English in Brazil.We watched the football game in English class yesterday ,it's funny!John,Do you like watch football game?

• CC, why do you wait till the early morning before you make your comment?! Why do you say the news topic is 'special'? What makes it special? Just because Obama has endorsed it? I think it is still disgusting as the gay agenda is lately being forced onto the world. I also am of the opinion that is wasn't a good topic for the news.

Wow CC, you are so lucky to watch a football game in class! I hope the commentary was in English as it was an English class?! Well, I don't watch football regularly. Maybe it is partly because the best football in the world is played in Europe and they mostly show that in the middle of the night on Chinese TV. But when it is World Cup time, I like to watch every game that they broadcast if I am free to watch it. I did that in 2010 when the World Cup took place in my home country and I think I watched about every game as Chinese TV broadcasted each game! I was then with Liao Gongda at the main campus in Fuxin and I can still remember that on some mornings I would watch the last game of the day till the end around 4.30am Chinese time (South Africa is 6 hours behind Chinese time), go to bed, and at 8am I will be in class for the first class! That month was very hard on me! But luckily I didn't have many early morning classes! This year my classes stop in week 16 (last class on 6 June) and the World Cup starts on 13 June; so, I don't have to worry about going to class after watching the games!

But what about you, CC? Do you watch football? Normally girls don't watch much of that game; but times are changing! And are you planning to watch some of this year's World Cup games? You first have to finish your exams!

• Hello, teacher!l have known what we will learn tomorrow.As usual,we will repeat the news.And then we will watch a video about the Brazil.Brazil is a famous country in football.And l know the next World Cup will be hold in Brazil.l'm exciting about it.See you tomorrow,sir.
    • Pauline, your comment doesn't convince me that you have opened and read the attachment about the lesson. What you said is exactly what other students said too. So, why comment then?

• hi ,john ,this is Ann.the next class is about Brazil.first we will watch a video about the English communicating in Brazil. Picture 3 is the second biggest city of Brazil,Rio de Janeiro. the statue Cristor Redentor is making that city famous.The world's greatest sports event takes place in Brazil from 15 June to 13 July 2014 is the world cup.And the official language is Portuguese.there are 7 videos in this series, but you chose the one on Brazil.,I guess it may because of the world cup.

• Ann, are you sure about the dates of the World Cup? Where did you get it from (I hope you didn't copy from my post)? And how do you know that I chose this video from the seven videos in the series? It's my guess that you read my comment to Hou Yan, right? Don't reply; I know it is right! Now I am even wondering whether you have written anything above that was your own work, Ann? I have the feeling you got all your information from the other comments. Am I right?

• Hello,teacher.I am very happy to know that we will have class in classroom 203 Erya,because we will see a video about Brazil.Brazil is one of my favorite countries,I think it's a country of football,and I love football,that is one of the reasons.And at the same time,Brazil have many other interesting things.For example,there is the longest river of the world,that is Amaron River.And there is the biggest Rainforest of the world,that is Amaron Rainforest.There are many other interestings,too.I believe we will learn more about it tomorrow.Oh,I have read the news,too.Now,I am looking forward to the class tomorrow.See you!
    • Jackie, the longest river in the world is not called the "Amaron" river! And neither is he world's biggest rain forest called the "Amaron" rainforest! And, you are not supposed to READ the news, but to LISTEN to it!

So, if you love football, I guess you will also watch as many games during the World Cup as possible, right?! Which country do you favour for winning the championship?

•  Hello, teacher, I know first we will to repeat the news next class as usual. Then we will see some video. On Brazil, it is the largest city in South America, and will host the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. Brazil's official language is Portuguese. I'm glad that we can through the way of watching video,  learning experience and methods of the other countries. I think this is great way for  help  us to learn English.Looking forward to the next class. Good-bye, Sir. 

• Zhou Yuqi, Brazil is NOT the largest city in South America! And another thing, you didn't look at the attachment. Do you want to tell me that you still can't open it? Did Meng Guimiao not tell your class how to do it? Are you prepared for tomorrow's class?

This reply was deleted.