Week 12b: Thursday, 8 May 2014

(1) News by Tara

(2) Mini debate: Cheating and plagiarism in schools

Reading (listening) of a short passage about the topic, vocabulary, discussion of some related questions in pairs, and lastly, short mini debates in small groups.

P.S.

1. Sorry, the pictures didn't want to line up correctly today. :(

2. Students, I'm asking for the last time that you read the attachments before your comments. If you haven't followed Tony's (Meng Guimiao) advice, please contact him again and install the software now. Thank you.

11 - W13 - Mini debates - Cheating.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi,teacher!I have read the content and the attachment of the next class!As usual,we will start with retelling the news,and then we will learn something about foreign students.We will have a discuss about cheating in exam is right or wrong.Maybe personally i don't agree students to do so.Therefor,i intend to know the others' opinion!

• In my high school, if a student is caught cheating in the exam, the student's name will be wrote in a white paper to show all the students. In my apinion, being honst is more important than getting good grades.

• hi ,john,this is Ann. l read the content  about the next class just now.we will discuss about cheating and plagiarism in schools.in fact ,almost everyone has ever cheated in exam,seems that cheating is a formal thing, and they don't feel sorry their behavior.but as a historic custom,it is difficult to deal with. All we can do is to ensure ourselves' behavior.

• Yes Ann, it has appeared to me to that cheating is an acceptable behavior in China. But even if 1 billion people engage in it, it is still wrong! So, how does one break a wrong habit that has become a formal thing over the years ..? I hope there will be some answers tomorrow. :)

• Good evening,John.In my opinion,cheating is wrong and honest is more important than good  grades .However ,cheating is a common phenomenon in China.Sometimes even the teacher would encourage children to cheat ,especially in the major exam,such as college entrance examination.So,I think it's necessary to debate cheating and plagiarism in school.

• Hello,teacher.I am very excited to know that we will have a mini debate in tomorrow's class!Because I like debate very much and I think in last few days' class,some of us did not say much,and some of us's spoken English is still not very well.If we have debate in groups,I think everyone could say much and listen much,at the same time,we will think much in English,that will be a good way to improve our English level.So now I am looking forward to tomorrow's class.See you~
    • Well Jackie, I hope you are right that the mini debates would be a good environment for the students to practice their language skills. I believe it must be easier for the student as it is more difficult to talk in the bigger group (the class). So, I hope they would all benefit by the small debates and the short discussions prior to the debates. :)

• Hello,John.I know that we will start the class with the news by Tara and I have listened to the news just now.And we will have a mini debate again.I like the form of debate very much.Because all of us have opportunity to speak out and describe our own thoughts.I am looking forward to the class tomorrow.That's all.Good night.
  • Hi,John.I see the content about the next class. It's a debate about "Cheating and plagiarism in schools".As we all know,cheating and plagiarism is becoming common in school.Of course ,there are some reasons for these,for example teachers and parents think the score is so important that students have to have a good score by plagiarism.But in fact,we all know the honest is a well quality for everyone,so cheating is a uncorrent behavior.

• That is right, Cynthia, honesty is a great quality among people, especially among students. However, my question is then why do the students not stop cheating? Or why do the parents not discourage this bad phenomenon among their children (as the children do not listen to the teachers not to cheat)? There are more questions than answers.

This reply was deleted.