Week 12a: Tuesday, 8 May 2014

Big Town: Students to assume personalities of the residents of the city of Big Town and tell others about their lives. If time permits, there is a map of the town center and we can use it to describe to our partner how to get to your business or place of work. Personalities of the different characters would be handed out in class. Pairs and small groups.

Big Town game rules.rtf

Bigtown Mapsmall.gif

big town2.jpg

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Good morning,John.I have readed the content of  next class.The play is familiar ,when I was a child,my teacher leaded classmates to play the game,and the roles were all animals such as pig,fish and so on.So I am looking forward to the class.

• Hi,teacher!We haven't attended classes for a long time.The next class,we will know something about Big Town,what's more,everyone will act different roles and learn different people's lives.Furthermore,we can use the map to image our own business,which will be helpful to our career!In a word,i'm looking forward to the next class!

• Yes Maxine, your class had a long break from English; I hope you have all missed practicing your language ..! You said you are looking forward to the class ... it is over by now ... So, it is my guess that it wasn't completely what you've expected, right? Sorry if it might have turned out a little boring; it was all the teacher's fault as he changed the game rules ... :(

• Hi,John.I have looked the content of  next class.And I have see the attachments.I think this class will be full of vigor and vitality. The class is so interesting that unable to hold oneself back to this class.We will assume personalities of the residents of the city of Big Town and tell others about their lives.It's interesting. I will try my best to do my role play.

• Good evening again...sir! I have just read the content of tomorrow's class. We are going to pretend we are in a big town and we can be different people,right? The rules are a little long.I think the main idea is that we have cards and ask questions to win others' cards. It depends on guess because we don't know what the information is on others' cards. I hope tomorrow we can have time to use the map.It looks interesting!

• Thank you for your comment, Liu Yufan. As with Kelly and Ada (and some others), I can see that you have had a look at the attachment. You would then know that we didn't follow the rules and it didn't work out that well. That was what I tried to explain to you afterwards, but I don't think you followed what I was saying! I decided not to allow the students to win other's cards as I didn't have all 80 cards of all 80 residents of Big Town; and how would I have integrated a student into the game again when she/he lost their card? But then I took the fun out of the game. I should rethink this before I present this a second time to another class. But I still hope that the class did have sufficient opportunity to have practiced their language skills. The class participated very well today; thank you. :)

• Good evening,John.I'm sorry to comment so late.I hope that I'm not disturbing you rest.I'm interested in the role play.I still remember the last role play,it's exciting.Different people will choose different character and we will have an interesting conversation or discuss.So I'm looking forward to the next class.It would be interesting as usual.

• hello,teacher.In the next class we will play different roles tell our partner about the life in the Big Town.Through this way that can improve our English .And if different characters be handed out in class it will intersting.

• Tian Jing, it appears you have sorted out your problems with your computer and this website, right?! I am happy for you. The 'game' eventually became boring for some reasons I have explained above, but I hope you still had sufficient opportunity to practice your language.

•  In tomorrow's class, we will assume we are the person who live in the little town  on the card, and then introduce ourselves to our partners. And, if we win the partner's card, we will go find another partner and play the game again. 

This reply was deleted.