2014b: Week 9b: Thursday, 6 November 2014

(1) Discussion: World teachers' Day

(2) Role plays: You are making a movie similar to Stories from Romania and are interviewing your partner who will be the protagonist (lead player) in your movie. You may use some of the questions in Activity 6 of the Stories from Romania worksheet, but you can also use your own questions.

13 - W9b - Discussion - World teachers day.pdf

romania-class-worksheet.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• good afternoon,teacher.i learn about that the content is about world teacher's days.when it comes teacher,we have many memories about it.form we are children,we start to learn knowleges from teachers.maybe some of us haven forget the teacher's name.but something impressive still left.the chinese teacher in my junior high school have the greatest infiuence on me.for most chinese students ,chinese is boring.but i like it,i enjoy the fun form words.and in the encourge of the teacher,i went to the famous high school in my hometown.you can say that the best in LiaoNing province.and i have the dream that to be a teacher in my childhood.because in China there are many poverty-stricken areas. there are many chidren can't go to school,i think we have duty to teach them.and i also want to say a special teacher,that is you.my first foreign teacher.although we have different culture ,different language but we have common happy. joking apart,we will have the vocabulary preview and reading like before.in discussion,i want to say,my parents don't buy gifts for teachers,and we don't feel obligated.teacher is a sacred job we should respect them. i don't know which link we will spell the word honour and honor ,i think color and colour is similar. at last we need to play role about Romania .i will be a good director.see you teacher.
    • Glad to read that you were fortunate to be at such a prestigious high school, Hetty, and that you also had a great teacher at junior high. Yes, teachers can make such a difference in one's life - they can make or break you. I didn't have a father when I entered school, but I was blessed with some great teachers in my life. The first one was a woman in my first two or three years of Primary school. She really cared for us deeply. And then during my last three years in Primary school, there was a man who was like a father to me. He taught us more than school and I think he formed my life most. And in High school (we only have Primary and High school in my country) there was another male teacher who taught me Accounting for all my High school years. He was also my rugby coach (a sport in the commonwealth countries). He shaped my life further. But no teacher at university had an influence on me as they were too individualistic and never mixed with the students.

Well, I wouldn't say teaching is sacred; I would rather see it as an honourable job which brings much satisfaction if one cares for students. Thank you, Hetty. This teacher knows he has many shortcomings and sometimes he's not acting wisely in class (specially when he gets angry ..), but you can accept it as truth that he cares a lot for your class. Maybe it doesn't always look like that, but that class is very deep in his heart. It would not influence him when it comes to grading (so, those who do not deserve good grades, will still get poor grades), but that wouldn't stop him from treasuring this class. ;-)

Btw, the difference in spellings is because of the difference in British and American English. Honour, colour, etc, is the British spelling. This website is founded by an American (Josef Esberger) and he has an American spell checker on the website and if you spell the British way, the word will be underlined with a red line so as to indicate the spelling as incorrect - I then just ignore it as I prefer the British spelling!

• Hello,john.Good afternoon,i'm not very late to comment.you were surprised at the time i go to bed, in fact,i also amazing that i can sleep late and wake up early.Next time we will discuss about the content of the international teachers.Since the childhood, my favorite Chinese teacher .
    Because the mother tongue is Chinese, feelings of the language is familiar.To be honest, I don't want to be a teacher, because running students is too tired. There are too many naughty students so that let the teacher to hurt the mind.I think the teacher should be kind, friendly and patient.And in what way teachers similar to parents or different.there are too much to say.That's all.Have a nice day.
    • Cynthia, I was thinking about your answer this morning ... Maybe I then explained the proverb incorrectly (you know, this one, "Better than a 1000 days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher"). I now think your answer might have been not completely correct; neither was my reply!

Let's take the 2 scenarios:

1. You have one or more bad teachers (teachers who do not care, etc) and they teach you for 1000 days (about 3 years). You don't learn much from them as they don't have much to give. All that you learn, is through your own diligent and tiring studies for the 3 years. You got no motivation or preparation for life from those teacher(s).

2. You get the opportunity to spend 24 hours with the greatest teacher of your city or province ... She/he loves students, care for them, respect them, is patient, kind, dedicated, has a passion for teaching, is the perfect role model, etc. You may not have learned much knowledge about any specific subject, but this teacher may inspire you so much, that it would change your live forever and you would be so motivated after those few hours with that teacher that you would have the courage to face your future with confidence.

So, do you still think the 3 years of hard individual studies under mediocre or bad teachers would still be better? If you do, I think you must reconsider! ;-)

P.S. "The mediocre teacher tells.

The good teacher explains.

The superior teacher demonstrates.

The great teacher inspires."

• Yes, today you're so early, Cynthia! Maybe you want to get in bed early tonight with a good English book ...! I am going to, but I must first finish the comments from you class. I agree, teaching can sometimes be quite draining and tiring. But I can tell you that it also is probably the most rewarding profession of all! When one sees the progress among some of your students, there are not many things that can give a teacher such satisfaction! But it is also true that students ungratefulness can also hurt a teacher deeply. I know, as I felt both pride and hurt from students behaviour! But despite the hurt now and then, one would never give up as it is such an immense honour to help students improving their life skills. ;-)

• Hello,teacher.It's the first time that I know the World Teacher's Day

,because in China,the teacher also have teacher's day,but it's in

September 10.When I was a child,we made postcards by ourselves for our

teachers to expresse our appreciation on that day with the help of our

parents,so we haven't worried about it may cause the financial

troubles and I don't think teachers treat students better based on the

gift they receive.And in my view,teacher is similar to parents in the

way which they all treat us as their own children and believe we are

work hard enough and will be an excellent person when we grow up.They

are also different,because parents have only one or sevel children,but

teacher have millions of children.As the saying goes,Even if someone

is your teacher for only a day, you should regard him like your father

for the rest of your life.
    TEACHER.IT
    • Haha CC, you are too naive to think that all teachers are the same! It is a fact that there are many teachers who demand gifts from their students or their parents; even some of your classmates know that! But if you think all teachers are good, I am glad for you. I just hope a teacher would not disappoint you one day as it may come as a big shock to you! Of course there are many exceptions and many wonderful teachers. I guess you were just very fortunate not to see the bad side of some teachers. But you are also a very positive person, I think; so, stay like that as it makes life much simpler and much more enjoyable! ;-)

• Hello, teacher. I think, the meaning of Teachers' Day is expressing our respect to teachers. With the coming of teacher's Day , students and their parents will prepare gifts for teachers .It is just a behavior of appreciation, but now, in some places, it has became a bribe. Parents give gifts to teachers, because they want to teachers treat their children better. And as time goes by, this behavior will become a custom. If you don’t give gifts to teachers, they will treat your children badly. Maybe because of this custom, parents will prepare gifts on Teachers' Day. However, teachers who don’t have occupation moral is few. It can cause our thinking, but we can not criticize the whole group of teachers. Most of teachers have the occupation moral, they treat their students as their children. And they have an equal treatment. They are selfless and easy to be touched. On teacher's day teacher give a hug, send a SMS blessing to the teacher, the teacher will be very happy. On the teacher's day, if giving teacher a hug or sending a blessing SMS to the teacher, the teacher will be very happy. Above all, these are just my opinions. And at last, Warm thoughts of love and regards to our loving teachers and John, Hearty wishes for you.
    • That is true, Ada, the giving of gifts had gone out of control and it is no longer to really show appreciation for a teacher's so-called hard work. Some teachers, as you have rightly remarked, demand gifts from their students, and beware the one who doesn't give ... It is totally immoral and absolutely disgusting. But you're also right about the parents bribing the teachers to give their children preferential treatment (such as good grades, etc). But you know what? It can easily be stopped so that students can again be treated equal by their teachers ... We just need governments with backbone to ban any gift giving to teachers with severe punishments should the rule or law be ignored. But they wouldn't as too many government officials and their friends have children at school ... A sad situation. But of course, you're right that there are many exceptions too. There are wonderful teachers too who are selflessly teaching their students to the best of their ability. But as I said to some of your classmates, I personally don't support a teachers day as it has surely gone out of control. However, if some students have the desire to express their gratitude with a 'thank you' toward a teacher, I guess it can't do any harm if the students are sincere. ;-)

• Good afternoon,teacher.I have seen the content.We will talk about teachers.I like my high school history teacher best,she is also my head teacher.She is strict with our study at ordinary times, are very concerned about to our life.She treated to us samely.Whenever we go to her office to ask questions, she is always very happy then patiently answer.She taught us with the correct world outlook and life outlook to see the problem analysis.Each Teacher's day we will give her a surprise, she was very happy, but she think we got a good mark is the biggest surprise.Last summer vacation, we went back to high school to see her, she still remember each one of us.A teacher said she is very envy my head teacher, because almost the whole class students went back to see the teacher is a very happiness thing.I think this kind of moved far more valuable than the teacher's day to send a gift.I really appreciate you, my teachers.See you!
This reply was deleted.