2014b: Week 9b: Thursday, 6 November 2014

(1) Discussion: World teachers' Day

(2) Role plays: You are making a movie similar to Stories from Romania and are interviewing your partner who will be the protagonist (lead player) in your movie. You may use some of the questions in Activity 6 of the Stories from Romania worksheet, but you can also use your own questions.

13 - W9b - Discussion - World teachers day.pdf

romania-class-worksheet.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

•  hi ,John,this is Ann.the topic of next class is about teachers.teacher is the greatest profession in the world. during my life till now ,the teacher who give me greatest influence is my primiry school chinese teacher.she is kindly and fridndly to every student, and always help us in our life and study.in fact ,I don't want to be a teacher,because I want my life be free.I think a teacher should be responseble and earnest, but not only be professional in teachering.teacher is same to parents in helping children to grow up,  but not same in some aspects.such as teacher should be responseble to alibiclass but parents only to their children.and I think expensive gift is not necessary, we can also use some gift made by ourselves to express our felling. 
    Buy Domain Name Study.in
    Buy Domain Name Study.in
    • Ann, to be a teacher is an honourable profession! And teachers are free too (well, I am free, I think)! But there shouldn't be any gifts on teachers' day! Why do you mention the word "alibi" in your second to last sentence, Ann? I don't understand. What has 'alibi' to do with teachers' day?!

•   Hi,teacher.Teacher plays an important part in our life.Teachers do have great influnce on us.What they say and what they do may effect us invisibly.

My first English teacher,who had great influnce on me.It is in the beginning of the 4th grade.We were allowed to start learning a new kind language--English.We had never contact with other language except our mother tongue.It is a sunny moring,the sun shines brightly.As the bell was rang,here came a young handsome man about twenty or more years.He came with a smiling face like a sun.Our attention transfered to him.Just like the saying goes,a handsome teacher could increase his students' interest on learning his lessons.That's right.With his sweet smile and Humor  character,we finished his first lesson with great enthusiasm.We fell in love with the new lesson from then on.His teaching methods are different from other teachers.He paid more attention on our study interests.He tried his best to make us love English more and try to speak with English as far as possible.We enjoyed learning English.

Now a lot of parents give teachers gifts on Teachers' Day.Many gifts are too expensive to buy for poor family.If teacher didnot receive the gift, those students who are cannot afford the gifts may be treated worse than the others.It is very common in Chinese education.I think the best way to solve this problem is to strengthen management of education.People could try to send their blessing by many other ways.Compare with the truly heart,giving expensive gifts is not the best way.Teachers will be moved by the real spirit,not the material.Hope all of teachers and their students could get along well with each other.

• Kelly, thank you for a good comment, but please don't do this to your teacher ... to comment so late at night just before the class ... You know you give long comments, and that means getting long replies! So now I need to reply to you and it's close to midnight and I know I am not as sharp as I was when I started here around 8.30pm after my evening class! :(

Well, you were so fortunate to have an English teacher already in your 4th grade! I guess he must have been a foreigner, right?! Because you said his teaching methods differed from the traditional methods! And I'm sure it was in Harbin as there are many foreigners there, right?! Well, I am happy for you as this has surely helped to shape your attitude toward English. From the beginning I noticed a different approach from you - really. Now I know why! You already had a love in your heart for learning another language. Wow, I am now even more impressed with Harbin than before!

I know that this undesirable phenomenon of gift giving is part and parcel of teachers' day in China - just as bribery is common in Chinese society (specially of course in government circles, as we all know). It is a sad situation. The only way to stop it, is simple, Kelly. The government should ban the giving and receiving of gifts on teachers' day - as simple as that. Then there would be more equality among the poorer students too. That can only be fair. Yes, the real spirit of teachers' day need to be restored; but as long as they allow gifts, it would never happen.

• Hello,teacher.About the Teacher's day sending gifts phenomenons,I have my own thoughts. With the rapid development of economy and  the improvement of people's living standard,education play a more and more important role . The status of teachers is raised up. Parents hope the children get the teacher's attention,As students,they want to please the teacher .So the Teacher’s Day become an active period of send gifts to teacher. Teacher's Day gifts phenomenon is contributing to corrupt the unhealthy tendency, the mind will also affect the normal growth of the students. Teacher's Day gifts is indeed expressed thanks to the teacher, transferring  good blessing, but when we choose a present for the teacher, one is to fit thephase with their income level, two is not to choose too expensive gifts,.It will give the teacher too much psychological burden. Teachers should be strict with themselves, eliminate the phenomenon ofteacher's Day gifts.

• Zhou Ying, you are the first student to make this suggestion ... to ban the giving of gifts to teachers. I am impressed with you! I agree totally with you that that would be the only solution when there would be no more gifts. Only then, and only then, would teachers' day get its meaning back. A teacher should be satisfied to get a 'thank you' verbally, or maybe in writing, but that should be all. As it is now, it is a shame (as far as I am concerned).

• Hi John, next lesson we will discuss topic about teacher. I think teacher is a good job, Teaching knowledges to students is a very sacred activitys, and there are winter and summer vacations. Since kindergarten, we began to celebrate teachers' day. Sometimes performances, sometimes have a holiday. Of course, someone of us will sent a gift to the teacher . But I think channge teachers' day to gift competition, it is against the essence of education,It is unfair to other students, and corrupt social conduct. Fair treatment of each students is the responsibility of the teacher, and students should through study hard, do well to get the teacher's love. I think the teacher should have love, honest, and helpful quality and so on. Sometimes parents favour child too much, but the teacher won't. Next time we will go with similar Romania story role play , and the analysis of "honour or honor" word. Goodbye teacher, looking forward to next class.。
    • I agree with you that the celebration of teachers' day has gotten out of control, Zhou Yuqi. Lately it has become a tool to bribe teachers or teachers being unfair toward students who do not bribe. Yes, if the teachers want to be fair, they should not accept any gifts, neither demand gifts (as some do). Students should also not give gifts any longer. A teacher should be satisfied with a 'thank you' from a student; nothing more and nothing less. And all students should be treated equal and fair.

• Good evening,teacher. I have known the content of the next class.First,we will discuss a lot of problems about World teacher is day in the next class.Second,we will have a role play.Every teacher has a big influence for me in my memory.They not only teach me knowledge, but also teach me how to be a useful person.In my opinion,teachers' Day is the significance of respecting teachers and paying tribute to the teachers.It is the best gift for teacher that students accept the teacher's advice ,not expensive gifts.I am looking forward the next class.See you tomorrow.
    • Maybe you are right about teachers' day showing some respect to teachers, Cao Hualin. If that is the case, I guess one can accept that. My biggest problem with teachers' day is that it got out of hand lately and students and parents even bribe some teachers for good scores or good treatment, or some teachers would even demand gifts from their students. Then it is no more about showing respect. Teachers should not receive any gifts, and I think students should also refrain from giving them gifts. Then they can have teachers' day!

This reply was deleted.