2014b: Week 9a: Tuesday, 4 November 2014

Detective game: Alibi

We'll play this game in groups. One group of 5 will be the suspects and there will be five groups of detectives (2 groups of 5, and 3 groups of 4). You will get the plot in class and the detectives will then question the suspects individually to find the criminals who have committed the crime.

13 - W9a - Alibi - Game.docx

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If you know Sherlock Holmes and Conan, Hetty, we'll make you a detective tomorrow as the teams would require good detectives to help solving this case of bank robbery we are about to investigate! You will be surprised if you know the outcome ...! But whatever happens, everyone who takes part wholeheartedly, would practice many language skills. I know! :)

• Good evening,John!I'm happy that tomorrow will have a role play about detective.Because I like the detective novels,movies and cartoons etc.Expeacially Sherlock Holmes and Conan,they are my favorite characters.I'm happy that we will get exercise in role play tomorrow.We will retell the news tomorrow's class .The time I listened to it,I felt the gun is a terrible thing.I'm glad that China does not allow private guns.See you !
    • I can remember you said you like detective novels, Mary. So, tomorrow we'll make you one of the detectives and you can apply some of the skills of detectives Holmes and Conan to solve the crime! I just wonder whether those skills would be good enough tomorrow to expose the true criminals ..?! Yes, I agree, a gun-free society is much safer to live in. Criminals do use knives and daggers to kill, but those are still isolated cases and not many people get killed in that way. Last year 14000 South Africans were shot and killed because the public (and the criminals) can own guns. China is much safer to live in.

• Hello,teacher!I am so surprised that we will play a game next class.And what makes me more excited is that the game is about detective!You know that I am crazy about detective in the last comment introducing my favorite book.I think the game will be intersting!5 of us will be the suspects and the others will be the detectives to find the criminals through asking them questions.By playing the game,we can improve our oral English,listening English(through listening to others what they say)and our logical thinking ability.So the game is very meaningful unlike the traditional teaching way.Oh,we will do the news at the beginning of the class and I know the news is about terrorist kills soldier in canada's capital.See you next class!

• Yes Han Qing, I remember about your love for detective stories! So, we'll make you the head detective of one of the teams and you can guide the team with the skills you picked up through reading detective stories! I think it is a fun way of learning English and most students enjoy it usually. It would be interesting to see if any of the teams can determine which of the suspects were involved in the crime ...!

• hello,john.the new about terrorists kills soldier in canada's capital.unfortunately a yong soldier is killed.there are many terrorists creat accidents every day,it is necessary to punish thoes terrorists and make sure that similar things happend more and more less in the whole world .we will also play a game in the next class.the game ask us to find out who is crimer.it is similar to a game in china .the nane of the game is “kill man”.we should ask qeustions each other,and evently who is killer.if we fin out the killer we will win,the game is over.
    • Tian Jing, what is a "crimer"? Never heard of that! Do you mean, "criminal" perhaps? So, we are only going to try to apprehend some bank robbers, fortunately not killers! The crime we will investigate tomorrow is not really a violent crime as the bank robbers didn't hurt anyone (maybe they were good guys that just needed some cash!). Looks like you would make a good detective; so, we'll elect you on one of the detective teams, okay!

• Hello ,teacher .I have listened the news(Terrorist Kills Soldier In Canada’s Capital) .In fact, this was not the first time that Canada’s parliament had been a target, nor was it the biggest terrorist attack in the country’s history. An inept bomber intent on killing as many MPs as possible blew himself up in the same building in 1966, and an armed man hijacked a bus and fired shots outside parliament in 1989. The 1985 bombing of an Air India flight to London from Toronto, in which 329 people died, remains the largest terror attack originating in Canada. However, just because of terrorism, we will make our resolve stronger. Because, if our living environment is peaceful,the national economy will be developed and people will be more happier. And I am interested in the content of the next lesson. because I like watching the cartoon—Detective Conan. And the game will be played tomorrow will achieve my dream that I want to have an experience of being a detective. And I think the game is of great benefit to our English skills. I look forward to the coming of tomorrow.
    • Ada, thank you for telling about Tara's news story, but you mentioned something that needs some correction. You said something about a peaceful living environment which would guarantee a better economy and happier people. It can't be completely correct. True happiness is not determined by material (economic) prosperity, meaning people must be happy when the economy is good and they get richer. That is false happiness. What if the economy is bad? What happens then to happiness? One aspect of life (a strong economy) can't be the only way of being happy. There are other factors also. You have just not learned about them.

Okay, you will be a detective tomorrow and maybe you can apply some of detective Conan's skills to solve the crime! Yes, to those students who would take part wholeheartedly, the game would definitely benefit their language skills. Guaranteed!

• Hi John, we are going to play a detective game next class. Sounds of the game is very interesting and exciting. We are going to find out the suspect's abilities in the scene. I think, this is a test of intelligence and language ability. We often play the game called "who is undercover", they are very similar. I'm glad to next class gave me a chance to do the detective, I am fan of Sherlock Holmes and Conan, although I don't know whether they are real. Goodbye teacher, looking forward to next class.
This reply was deleted.