2014b: Week 8b: 30 October 2014

Compelling conversations:

During this lesson, we are going to talk about books. As I regard reading as very important for one's intellectual development, we'll spend the complete lesson on this topic. Tell me about the book you are reading at the moment. Why is reading important to you: Or is it not important? Why, or why not? We'll work in pairs and there are two lists of questions we'll be asking and answering to each other.

Compelling Conversations x1.pdf

Compelling Conversations x2.pdf

Compelling Conversations x3.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Oh no, Hou Yan, shame on those teachers who thought reading books were a waste of time! Clearly they were totally ignorant of the value of reading. But that they tried to discourage their students from reading, is absolutely embarrassing! Hope you enjoyed the Andersen's Fairy Tales! Looks like you really enjoy reading; I am happy to see that! :)

• Hello,John.Next class we will talk about books.For me,I like to read detective novels and magazines.My favorite novel is Adventure of Sherlock holmes written by Arthur Conan Doyle.Although the Sherlock Holmes is a fictional character,I think he is serious and careful.He can find that other people cannot find the details.I hope one day I can be a such person.Tomorrow I will share more ideas with others.See you tomorrow!
    • Mary, did you read the Sherlock Holmes novels in English ..?! If you like detective stories (and want to be one in future!), you may like our class in week 9 on that Tuesday, 4th November. ;-)

• Good noon,teacher!This time I comment early.^_^Tomorrow we will have a lesson which is a discussion about the books.I see there are many questions that we can talk about.I think book is important,of course.We learn from books from we are young.At first we read the story books with big colorful pictures.We we grow up,we can read books about science,emotion,history and so much.From reading,I can broaden my view of the world.And in my childhood,my parents don't allow me to watch TV too much,so I read books in my spare time.I love reading novels.My favorite book in my childhood is 'HarryPotter'.It build a magical world which interests me a lot.I read this series of book from primary school to my high school.I read it many times.And now I am going to buy the English editon of this book. Looking forward to sharing our thoughts about the books on next class.See you then!
    • Good afternoon, Lui Yufan (or maybe it is already 'good evening'!). Yes, this time you are very early and the teacher very surprised! But I guess you missed your afternoon nap because of your comment ..! Glad to hear your parents were a little strict with you and 'forced' you to get some pleasure from reading! Good parents! Hope you would buy that English version of ol' Harry soon so that you can start practicing your (English) reading skills (and learn some grammar in the process for free!).

• Hello,teacher.I am so happy that the next class we will talk about books.Because I love reading books since I came to the college.As you said,reading is very important for one's intellectual development.There are all kinds of books available in the world. They cover various fields of knowlege ranging from science of society and so on.Books are our close friends and our teachers as well. We gain knowlege and power from books. We enlarge our field of vision greatly by reading books.Historical lessons and the experience of others covered in the book make us smart.Besides,we can gain happiness from books and we even can get peace against the noisy outside world.When I was young,I didn't like reading books because I thougt it was too boring and I could easily got sleepy.But now,I feel strongly that books can bring me lots of things that the people around me cannot do.For me,I like reading novels and one book that I am reading at the moment is Oliver Twist written by charles dickens.The fog of London as the background, tells the story of life and suffered a tragic orphan, the protagonist Oliver grew up in an orphanage, through apprenticeship, hard to flee, into a den of thieves, and forced the culprit and cruel, experienced countless poignant, finally with the help of good people, find out and get a happy life experience.Another book that I like is Sherlock Holmes.I admire him and I want to be a famous detective,to be honest!But I know it is impossible.And when I was young,my mother often read books to me and my favorite character  of the books was detective and until now it is still my favorite!Next,we will use three of the words to make a sentence and for me,I may say,"Literature includes novel and poem."And then,we will continue making conversations about several questions.When I saw the quotation,I found my favorite is "No entertainment is so cheap as reading,nor any pleasure so lasting."Oh,next class,I will bring a book that important to me and I will introduce it.See you tomorrow!

• Wow Han Qing, what an outstanding comment; it was such a pleasure to read through it! Haha, I also have a great love for reading (my greatest hobby!), but of course, I mostly read English! Do you want to tell me you are busy with an English book by the famous Charles Dickens (Oliver Twist)?! Wow, now I am even more impressed! You are one of a kind as Chinese students are not famous for reading English books! Oh, and you like Sherlock Holmes? Know what, when I was at school, I used to read detective stories myself; in fact, I was crazy about it. I remember a series of true South African murder stories which was even banned in my country as it was too controversial. But my parents got hold of that bundle of books before it was banned and they hid it. When I discovered it, I read through them all in secret (about ten of them, if my memory serves me correctly). It was great reading!

Btw, if you want to be a detective, did you see what the lesson would be for week 9 (on Tuesday, 4th November) ...? Check out the lesson Schedule here (the second post for this term, posted on 12 October). Hope you would like it.

Yes, a very practical and profound quotation that (though books are expensive these days). But so true that they give us so much pleasure! Looking forward to be introduced to that book you are referring to!

• Hello,teacher.I like to read books too much.But I am very embarrassed that I never read books recently.I consider that reading books is very important.Because the books we study in the schools is in limit,we can development field of vision and know more knowledge by reading books.I forgot when I as a child my mother read to me or not,but I think the answer is yes. When I as a student I think I read the masterworks more.When I in high school,I like novels and biography very much.Now I read history books more.I am regret that I seldom read newspapers.In addition,I like ancient poetry and I can recite some of them.My friend around me also like books,also we often have a discuss about the books we had read.I think I need to read some books in english,then it will help me a lot in my english.I think Sun Zi Bing Fa is important to me ,though I haven't read all the way through yet.See you next class.
    • Thank you, Tan Jingping; this looks much better! And you're even the first student to comment! Glad to hear you read much. However, I also think maybe you should start reading some English books ...! But of course, then you must have the desire to improve your English skills. Most students lack the motivation. They just want to do the easy things. What about you?!

This reply was deleted.