2014b: Week 8b: 30 October 2014

Compelling conversations:

During this lesson, we are going to talk about books. As I regard reading as very important for one's intellectual development, we'll spend the complete lesson on this topic. Tell me about the book you are reading at the moment. Why is reading important to you: Or is it not important? Why, or why not? We'll work in pairs and there are two lists of questions we'll be asking and answering to each other.

Compelling Conversations x1.pdf

Compelling Conversations x2.pdf

Compelling Conversations x3.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Where did your mother get all the stories from, Ada?! You said she told you fairy tales every day! maybe she made them up when she ran out of stories ... as long as the prince and princess lived happily ever after! Haha, those thoughts are not so childish! There are still handsome princess walking around today ... there maybe even be one in your English class ..! I like your quotation with which you ended your comment ... books being our partners and teachers through life; excellent! Interesting phases you went through with your reading ... from fairy tales to love to books on motivation (you call it struggle), etc. Glad you keep on reading!

• Hello,teacher!It is the high time that I should comment on the website.I have read the content of the next class.The topic of the next class is books,I have read many books but few English books,my favorite English book is"the Kite Runner",which is written by Khaled Hosseini.The story tells us that because of a kite game,a boy betraied his friend,after many years,he returned his hometown to pay off the debt for betarying his friend.I think it's an educational story.For me,i don't like reading the stories concerning love,i like reading the philosophical and motivational books which will be helpful to me when i meet troubles.As for me,my favorite writer is Lin Huiyin,who is very beautiful and talented,what's more,she has a soul mate,which i admire most,they lived in a happy marriage!In a word,looking forward to the next class!

• Wow Maxine, you read The Kite Runner! I saw that movie and it was an outstanding movie, but deep and very moving. It played off in an Arabic country somewhere in the Middle East. But if you could read that book in English, you have achieved something great. Well done! Have you ever heard of the English saying, "horses for courses"? It means we wouldn't all do the same things or like the same things (just think how boring the world would have been!). So, some like romance (like Ada, and Crystal when she was in High school!), some like detective stories (Han Qing and Mary), and others like to be motivated by what they are reading! As long as we read!

• Hello John I like reading very much, just can't read English books so don't read English books. Reading is the best method to increase knowledge, but also a kind of self relaxation method. I was reading a Tibet poet Cangyangjiacuo's poems and his recent autobiography, the life is like a movie like the best, his poems as famous as

• Glad you like reading too, Li Fengxian. Pity you can't read in English; but keep at the habit as it is a good habit and reading always increases knowledge. And of course, it gives a lot of pleasure!

• Hello,Jhon.First,I am sorry that I didn't comment the website when I am absent in class.I have known the contact of the tomorrow class.It is about books.I remember that I like reading books when I was young.But as my growing up,I get lazier and lazier,and I don't have enough time to read books.But I always read YOUTH DIGEST from young.And my mother didn't read to me when I was a child in my memory.But I have a favorite story,it calls The Little Match Girl.And when I am in high school,I started to read romantic novels.Till now,I still read them sometimes.Although I am too lazy to read books,I like them very much.That's all.See you tomorrow.
    • Yes Crystal, that is the biggest problem about reading ... the students are lazy! It is just easier to watch TV or play PC games than picking up a book and read. I hope you would soon pick up the habit of reading again (especially in English ...)!

•  Hi,teacher,I have looked the content next class,and i know we will have a class about books.book,is so important to us,wether for life or study,and in my life ,i really like read comic and novel,like comic,i think the writer can use simple pictures to express deep keynote and funny content,for example,Little butterfly and cloak by jimi.For novel ,it is my favourite type of books,because i think novel always by story to show something ,and it is attractive,I have to say.for instence,the story of seek dragon by vivibear.and now i am reading a famous book :the little prince ,it have an english version,and i think it can improve my english,and it is so helpful.
     I think next class will  be interesting,I am looking forword to it.
    • I'm so impressed, Amy, you have The Little Prince in English! I hope you would start reading that version soon ..! I agree with you about the importance of books to us (even to students!). We should always make time for reading.

• Hi,teacher.we will talk about books next class.I remember when I was in kindergarden I first have my fairy tale books,and later my relative gave me some.I like them very much,at the same time,my friends and my little female cousin often read these books with me.In primary school,we didn't have a real library,so if we want read the extracurricular books we must buy them on ourselves.I used to buy a book in a long time,so if my mother bought a book for me,I'm glad like in the lottery.During that time, I had the Andersen's Fairy Tales.When I was in high school,I read many novels,some from my classmates and some was bought by myselves.But,you know,we all very busy that time and our teachers thought that was wasting time,so we had to sneak.What'more,I often saved money to buy books.Now I look back on the past,I think read novels was the happiest thing during my high school.In the university,I still buy many books,include the works of the nobel prize winners.Nowdays I have read a interesting novel,but I don't know how to translate its name.And this period of time,I have been reading the Love in the time of Cholera,but I haven't finished.I really admair Gabriel Garcia marquez and I like his works,such as One Hundered Years of Solitude.

This reply was deleted.