2014b: Week 8a: Tuesday, 28 October 2014

(1) Listen to the News by Tara

(2) Video lesson: Lessons from Romania

Pse read the attachment to see the questions we'll discuss. You know how to find the video if you want to watch it before the class (but it is not really necessary as we'll watch it twice in class), Find the link on the "Listening" page here: https://www.englishclub.com/listening/index.htm

romania-class-worksheet.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi,teacher.English is so important that almost people in every country

need to learn it well.And it's funny that different countries have

different learning methods.I think self-motivation of learning English

is necessary,because only having motivation that we could keep trying

and doing some exercises about English.we should learn to learn a

language by ourselves which is benefit for us.Study on our own is

vital.
    • I agree, CC, we have to be (self) motivated whatever we do in life. And with self-motivation goes dedication and perseverance which were also mentioned in the video today.

•  Hello,John.We will go to the multi-media classroom to watch a video about learning English in Romania.There are some messages in the video like teaching English methods,life styles and so on.And we also need to discuss some questions about our opinions.Finally, we will imagine to make a film like "Stories from Romania".Looking forward to next lesson.
    • Cynthia, you just told me what we all know already about the structure of the class. Are you happy with this comment?

• Pasta is the food that is made of flour. A lot of food in Romania is similar to Chinese dishes.
    • Cao Hualin, is this a comment? Sorry, it doesn't qualify for any marks toward the semester grade. You know as well as me that it is too short.

• Sorry,I typed it wrong(the Black Sea is an inland sea).Because Romania just borders on the black Sea.However, the Black Sea is an inland sea between Southeast Europe and Asia.It only communicates with Mediterranean through the Strait of Bosporus, Marmara Sea, Dardanelles, Aegean Sea. At this point, Romania can also be said as a landlocked country. ----It is searched from the Internet.
    asia
    Homepage
  • Teacher,no,i did not mean i want to marry an Romanian husband .It is said that Romanian boys are handsome and gentle.i just dream to marry a perfect boy like one of them.But a recent news stricked me a lot which said some of them are homesexual and many were attacked by a disease called Aids. I can not accept this truth.What an unreachable dream i have!I can not find an excellent man.. :(
    Yes,teacher,my hometown--ha'erbin,heilongjiang province has had snow in recent days.The temperature there come down to below zero degree!People there all wear thick clothes.The winter came so earlier for them.And in liaogongda,i think the weather is also cold.I even can not know what to wear.If i wear the thick clothes now,i will not have further thicker clothes to pass the winter.So i had to choose the clothes for the end of autumn to wear...Maybe people there did know about the problem .But after all ,the Power of one person is too weak to work. Even a few part of human beings have the sense to change the current situation,they would also give up in the end because of the ignorance of the great majority of people.So raising the awareness of each person is still an formidable duty .
    Teacher,you said you like the snow,i want to tell an exciting news!!To tell you,the 2015 Ice and Snow Festival will be held in ha'erbin in 5th,jan,2015.And ha'erbin is famous for its Ice and Snow Festival (as one of the most beautiful Ice and Snow Festival all around the world)You could travel as a teacher.And it will have many privilegement for you .Many foreigners go out of their way to ha'erbin to enjoy it.You cold enjoy the sight of ice lanterns ,ice engravings and so on.You can also skiing from the top of the hill to the bottom .It is very exciting .What is more,there are many kinds of delicious food you can enjoy.I bet if you go ,it must be a memorable experience and you can enjoy yourself.
    • Wow Kelly, what a lengthy reply! Thank you for your time - AND that you read my reply AND that you decided that the teacher deserves a reply (which doesn't happen often from the students)! I am happy to realize that some students do read my replies! However, about what you mentioned regarding Romanian guys ... I wasn't aware of that (that they found homosexuality popular). Shocking, to say the least. But of course, the HIV-AIDS is directly related to the homosexual behaviour ... When it was first discovered a few decades ago, many people believed it was as a result of God's judgement on the immoral sexual behaviour by especially men (I still believe that). How sad that it has entered Romanian society. They had so much hardship in the past, and now this .. So, I guess you should start looking at a Chinese boy...! Though, seriously, I have the suspicion that China would soon also experience big problems with homosexuality (it would just be kept quiet longer ..) as the imbalance between young male and females here would lure many boys into lust after their own gender as there are already not enough girls for all the boys.

I forgot that you are from Harbin! I love that city quite a lot and nearly got a job there last year. I made application for quite a few teaching jobs there and I was invited for an interview with one of the universities there. But I eventually decided against it as the Liaogongda's Fuxin office offered me better perks and an increase in salary! And of course, I like Xingcheng and this campus and thought that in the long run, it might be better for me to stay here (despite them paying much better salaries there!). However, you touched on the problem of global warming again. I don't think the real problem is that people do not know about the dangers of pollution and global warming. The media and governments of most countries are informing them well. Problem is, I think, that too many people do not care enough (especially the rich and the powerful). They don't care that other people's children would one day have shorter lifespans with poorer quality of life because of the damage we cause to the earth today. Sad, but true, I believe.

About the Harbin Ice festival ... Haha, thank you for the invitation to your hometown, but I don't think I would go again soon! Why not?! Because I have been there for two consecutive Ice festivals during January 2012 and 2013! During my first trip there, I went with three of my then Post Graduate students and we also went ice skating on the mountains. The second time me and another student-friend of mine took my brother and his wife from South Africa there. Both times we had a great time and I think back with good memories! Oh, and the food was great too! Seeing those ice sculptures in the park, and during the evening the magnificent ice castles at the main festival was an unbelievable experience! And then there was the evening walks up and down Central Avenue which had been another highlight! Yeah, you come from a truly great city! ;-)

• hello,John.in the next class we Will watch a video about how student study englisg in Romania.the tapital of Romania is Bucharest and IT is the biggest economy center .Romania has a population of nearly 19128767 people.the official language is Romania.and they pay attention to stdying English.teacher teach English by intersting way ,compared with
    usthe way we study English is not good enough in China .
This reply was deleted.