2014b: Week 8a: Tuesday, 28 October 2014

(1) Listen to the News by Tara

(2) Video lesson: Lessons from Romania

Pse read the attachment to see the questions we'll discuss. You know how to find the video if you want to watch it before the class (but it is not really necessary as we'll watch it twice in class), Find the link on the "Listening" page here: https://www.englishclub.com/listening/index.htm

romania-class-worksheet.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you, Nancy. Oh, and I am happy to hear that you could follow well the last lesson about superstitions. It was a really interesting lesson to me too and I enjoyed the students' answers! But about Tara's news ... are you sure you have the right topic ..?!

I hope you would remember to do your search about Romania before tomorrow's class ..! Yes, it is interesting to hear how the Romanians learn the English language (and doing that well too!). There would be good tips and advice for those students who'd like to improve. Btw, do you really read English books?! You impress me (as not many Chinese students do that!). You are also fortunate to be the child of an English teacher! :)

• Hello,teacher.I have listened the news(The Word “Scissors”is a Defective Noun)I think it is so interesting.In English,there are a few nouns that only have a plural form.It just a certain rule. Romania is a European country and borders on the Black Sea.But the Black Sea is a land-locked sea,you can say that Romania is a landlocked.Romania official language is Romanian,and young Romanians speak English very well.In my country,English lessons are bassed on the traditional translation mainly,sometimes they are bassed on listening activities.
    http://interesting.In/
    See related links to what you are looking for.
    • Ada, are you sure the Black Sea is 'land-locked'?! Why is it then that ships from the Black Sea can enter the Atlantic Ocean from there (via the Mediterranean, obviously)?! Do yourself the favour and read Hang Qing's comment - she explains it to you! But I agree with you, young Romanians speak English quite well. What is their secret?!

Oh, nearly forgot to mention something about Tara's News ... I don't understand, Ada, why you refer to grammar (plural form of nouns, etc) as part of Tara's news ... Are you sure you studied the right news item? Did you look here: https://edition.englishclub.com/listening-news/2014-10-21/ ; ...? I am confused.

• Hello,teacher.I have known we will do the news.But I regret that I can't see the video and I can't diecuss the questions.I only know it is about Romania.Later I will look up about it.But I want to say,I think I have made a progress in listening english.Also,I think I have more interested in english.See you.
    • Tan Jingping, you don't have to see the video to answer the questions as the questions are in the attachment, as I said in the lesson outline. Why did your classmates replied to some of those questions? Where did they get it from? No, I don't think you cared much about this comment. Are you satisfied with it?

• Hello,teacher!I have read about what we will do in the next class.In next class,we will watch a video about Romania.Romania is in the European Union,and Bucharest is the capital city of Romania.Romania has a popularity of appoximalely 21 million people.But Romania is not landlocked,because the Romania near the Black Sea, Constanta is the Black Sea coastal city and port, is one of the important gateway Luo to center of continents and the national shipbuilding industry, known as the "Black Pearl" said.
    However, the Black Sea is between Southeast Europe and Asia inland sea, only through the southwestern Strait of Bosporus, Marmara Sea, the Dardanelles, Aegean Sea and the Mediterranean communication. If at this point Romania is also not too landlocked countries.As for language,the offical language of Romania is English.Next,we will watch the video and discuss some questions about how they learn English and what tips and advice do Romanians have for us of English.
    In a word,looking forward to the next class.See you!

• Wow Han Qing, you mentioned a lot of new facts about Romania; I am so impressed! Yes, the Black Sea is very important to those countries bordering onto it as they have access to the Mediterranean Sea and eventually the Atlantic (I believe that's why Russia recently annexed the Crimea from Ukraine in such a devious way to get more control over the Black Sea where they have a big fleet). However, I'm glad you know now why Romania is not a landlocked country! But I think you might have made a little mistake about Romania's official language ...! I hope you would learn something through the tips and advice they would give .. ;-)

• Hello,john.I have know the content next class.first,we should retell the news in the englishclub.and then we will  have a video class about Romania.By computer,i have know Romania is an eastern European countries (sometimes is divided in southern Europe), December 30, 1947 declaration of independence.Romanian border west of the Hungarian border with Serbia respectively, Bulgaria in the south, the north and northeast is Ukraine and moldova.As the capital of Bucharest, Romania is located in the southwest of the country on a tributary of the Danube river flows through the plains, is the first city, Romania and industrial and commercial center.about food,Romania is staple food with pasta, and rice.stewed beef and potatoes is the leading actor on the table.in the class,we will study the skills of learning english.and answer the queations about the video.I think we need self-motivation and english enviroment during english study.That is all.see you.

Сайт romania.by не настроен на сервере
    • Thank you, Amy; I can see you have read quite a lot about Romania! However, what you didn't read was that the 1947 declaration of independence meant nothing regarding freedom for the Romanians as they were coerced into communism by the Russians and had one of the world's most brutal regimes under, in particular, Nicolae Ceausescu. They were only liberated in 1989/90 with the disintegration of the Soviet Union. But if one only looks at their progress with learning the English language in around 24 years, then they've made a lot of progress. Yes, I agree, self-motivation and a more friendly English environment probably made a big difference.

• Hi John, next class we are going to study topics in Romania. Bucharest is the capital city of Romania, the official language is romanian, romanian learn French and Spanish at the same time. Romania is the eastern European countries, the Danube river flows through, the scenery is very beautiful. The romanian people English is very good. They learn English to communicate as the most important thing, rather than grammar. In our country, this is just the opposite. However, in recent years the situation has improved. I think I have been learning English difficult should be use grammer. I also like watching English movies, the most like a TV drama is the vampire diary. There are so many good English songs, and I have to listen to every day. I hope next class learning to Romania's a good way to learn English. Goodbye teacher, looking forward to next class.
This reply was deleted.