2014b: Week 7b: 23 October 2014

(1) Discussion: Superstitions

(2) Answers to random questions (if time permits)

P.S. Liu Yufan, pse remember we will have a video lesson in Week 8 on Tuesday, 28 October. Kindly find out whether we can get a media room for that class. Thank you.

13 - W7b - Discussion - Superstition.pdf

13 - W7b - Discussion - Superstition audio.mp3

13 - W7b9b - Random questions.odt

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello,John.The next lesson,we will discuss a topic about superstition.We should tell some superstitions about our coutry.In China,there are so many superstitions ,we don't know how did it come into being  habits。The superstitions like red  stands  for fortunate,blank cat  predicts  bad luck and so on.We don't believe surperstitions,because those are unscientific.But these have became chinese habits.We looking forward to the next lesson.

• Yes Cynthia, I think you are correct in that the superstitions became Chinese habits over time. Too often I notice that even younger people (like you students) have the same superstitious beliefs as their parents without really questioning where it originated from (they don't ask questions in China; they just accept as truth what the older people say, whether false or not). I believe it is completely wrong (and even foolish) to do what others do without questioning why they do it and then deciding for myself whether it is true or false, good for me, or not, etc. ;-)

• Hello,John.The next lesson,we will discuss a topic about superstition.We should tell some superstitions about our coutry.In China,there are so many superstitions ,we don't know how did it come into being  habits。The superstitions like red  stands  for fortunate,blank cat  predicts  bad luck and so on.We don't believe surperstitions,because those are unscientific.But these have became chinese habits.We looking forward to the next lesson.

•  Hi,john,this is Ann.In the next class,the copic we learn about is superstitions.In China,there are many common superstitions,such as 4 is stand for unlucky, 6 is stand for lucky, 8 is stand for fortune ...it is unplite to give others 4 things.And it is make people happy when their telephone number have number 6 or 8.In fact,almost every person In china is superstitious. we all obey these established customs.
    • Ann, and now you are Hao Jia again! What is going on?! I gave you a reply when you were Wang Jiajia. So, if you want to read what I said to you, change into Wang Jiajia again. :)

• Hello,teacher.I think the topic about superstition may be interesting.Maybe someone will say that he/she is exactly not to be superstitious .But I think i am not exactly disagree with the superstition.I am a little agree with it sometimes.
    Superstition is not completely wrong.Some of it came from the acient Chinese culture.Human beings used some traditional methods to deal with the problem in life.For example,in my chilhood,i have had a badly fever .The temperature of my body up to 40 degree centigrade.I took many times of injections.But it does not work at all.No matter taking injections or taking medicine,the temperature has not down.My parents felt really worried.Because if it does not down for too long . The fever may become worse and change into pneumonia.At last,with the idea of my grand-mother in law,she suggested my parents to buy some yellow paper to burn.She said it could help me to get rid of the sickness--the ghost.And finally,it worked magically.I felt maybe i had experienced death.From then on ,i deeply agreed on the words what that woman said.So i think the exist of it maybe reasonable.
    all.no
    • Thanks for the comment, Kelly. Well, I'm not sure whether that was superstition that eventually brought the healing to you. I believe it was something else. Wang Jiajia had a similar experience from her childhood; see my reply to her. Even while it looked like the act of burning the paper helped in both cases, I am reluctant to believe that that was what brought the ultimate healing. I personally believe that God protects small children who can't fend for themselves (yes, I also know of occasions where small children were 'stolen' away by death; I can't explain or understand that myself, but I do believe and know that God's enemy steals away people's lives). I also know that Christians (even in China) would pray to God for healing of a child or another person, and often the healing would occur (in particular where the one doing the praying has a relationship with God; or where the one being prayed to, would have a childlike belief that the result would be as they wish). Be it as it may, as I told WJJ, we are also happy that you had victory in that very difficult time of your life and that you are with us in the class today! ;-)

• Hi,john,this is Ann.In the next class,the copic we learn about is superstitions.In China,there are many common superstitions,such as 4 is stand for unlucky, 6 is stand for lucky, 8 is stand for fortune ...it is unplite to give others 4 things.And it is make people happy when their telephone number have number 6 or 8.In fact,almost every person In china is superstitious. we all obey these established customs.

• Hey Ann, have you changed your name to Wang Jiajia now? What is going on with the computers of this class?! Are they jinxed ..?! Interesting fact that you give - that almost every person in China are superstitious. Do you know why that is so? I have a good idea, but what do you say? And your comment about obeying established customs is in line with a comment from Ann, and it is my submission that that is the reason that so many people are superstitious in China - they just obey the customs. Interesting fact.

• hello,teacher.i think the topic of superstitious is intersting.there are different tradition for the same thing although at the same country.in some tradition is cover superstitious,for example we don't like eighth floor in China.and we attend to the wedding must not wear White clothes.but with the development of scientist,the thought of people have changed.maybe. the superstitious Will dissapear in somedays,but i think it Will exit for a long time.
This reply was deleted.