2014b: Week 7b: 23 October 2014

(1) Discussion: Superstitions

(2) Answers to random questions (if time permits)

P.S. Liu Yufan, pse remember we will have a video lesson in Week 8 on Tuesday, 28 October. Kindly find out whether we can get a media room for that class. Thank you.

13 - W7b - Discussion - Superstition.pdf

13 - W7b - Discussion - Superstition audio.mp3

13 - W7b9b - Random questions.odt

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Tian Jing, today in class they said that about the 18th floor, not the eight floor! And you didn't correct them! So, what is the correct version, 8th or 18th floor?!

I didn't know about not wearing white clothes at a wedding. In the western countries most brides wear white as a sign of purity. Some brides who'd already slept with a man before marriage would be honest and wear another colour at her wedding (like cream colour, or green or blue, etc), but today so many young people are 'sleeping' together as they don't have good morals and don't care any longer, and when it comes to marriage, they still marry in white despite the lie they are portraying.

• Good night,teacher. I have seen the content in the next class.i know that is about superstitions.but i am materialism.i never believe evil spirits.we study about science since we are children.and my parents are materialism,too.and there are some words in the reading about superstitions.we need to learn to use it.about discussion, i think china is a superstitious country.because china has a long history. in China,people think “4”is a bad number . And 8 is a good number.most of people like red.About black cat,i know that is a bad things can bring bad luck.that is i want to share.what’s more let us speak tomorrow,see you.
    • It is not, "good night, teacher" when you start a comment, Hetty; it is "good evening". "Good night" is when you are finished with your business and are leaving!

About superstitions, yes, I noticed that China is a very superstitious country. I think I know why (but of course the Chinese people won't believe me as I am a foreigner and you know what they teach the children at school about foreigners ...!). If you want to see what I think, you may read my reply to Liu Yufan. I agree that you aren't superstitious yourself, because I think you are an intellectual and you would see how irrational and preposterous superstitions are! ;-)

• I am not a superstitions person, but sometimes, there have not science knowledge to explain some strange things. My family live in a small village, when I was very young, I played in rye and the rye had seveal graves, I wasn't afraid just played near them. When I got home in dusk, something bad happened. I couldn't see everything clearly and feel swirl. I lay on the bed, saw the wall across me was forward and backward. This phenomenon lasted one night. The second day, my father lighted a fire in front of our house and sprinkled some salt into the fire. Then, he picked me up crossed the fire quikly. He repeated seveal times. After that, I feld well and recovered soon without eating medicine. My mother said I played near the graves and disturbed the died persons,so they punished me. Oh, that is so unbelievable I think.

• Wow Wang Jiajia, that is an eerie (disturbing) story. One can't really explain what had happened there. I believe that there are spiritual activity among us and there are a good Spirit and there are bad spirits (the latter are referred to as demons). So, it could be that you had a spiritual experience in some sense. But as a believer in God, I would say that I think He protected you as you were still a child and young children normally can't protect themselves. Others would say that your father's actions protected you and made you well. I don't want to enter into an argument about that; all I can say, is that I am glad you survived that scary event and that you are in our class as we enjoy having you there! ;-)

• Good evening,teacher. I have known the content of the next class.In the next class,we will discuss somethings about superstition.In my opinion,what is rational is actual and what is actuai is rational.The existence of superstition is reasonable.In those days when science remained undeveloped,some activities about superstition is the expression that people want to live a better life.I am looking forward the next class.See you tomorrow.
    • Wow Cao Hualin, I don't think I can agree with you about the reasonableness of superstition! I have some understanding that the old people were superstitious in the past as science has not been as advanced as it is today, but I can't accept that they continue with their superstitions today while science and other truths have proved superstitions to be false and irrational. However, I guess everyone has the right to their own opinion on the matter and maybe we are all correct about it, or wrong ..!

• Hello,teacher.I have known the topic of the next lesson.In my opinion, superstitions are the crystallization of errors of the past knowledge,contains a lot of impurities.But as long as we verify carefully,we can find the truth.For example,when we were young, people told us not to touch the moth and if we touched the moth,our throat would form abscess and we would died.But when we grow up,we realize that this is superstition, but we also need to know, some moths are poisonous, past knowledge spreads by superstition.As long as we take scientific methods to confirm and distinguish some things, there is no problem.
    However, some superstitions have became custom.For example, in China,people think “4”is a number with bad lucky.Because the Chinese pronunciation of ”4” is similar with “death”.Thus,people don’t like to select “84”as the ending of the phone number.because it may be a curse that father will be died.And in the Spring Festival,people will cook fish,it means that every year will have surplus.
    • Thank you, Ada, for a very good comment. I can see that you thought about this topic and you mentioned some things that are very interesting. I like this description you used, "superstitions ... contain(s) a lot of impurities". That is a very accurate description, I believe. Most superstitions are absurd and some are plain foolishness. Intelligent beings like us humans shouldn't fall for such nonsense. And another interesting point you make - which I think is very valid - is that some superstitions have become custom. So, even young people today would display some superstition unknowingly, not because they are superstitious, but because it became custom in their culture. I believe only strong and intelligent people would be able to undo those funny superstitious customs. Thank you; I enjoyed your comment. :)

• Good evening teacher.About superstition I have my own opinion.As far as I’m concerned,it is an obsessionwith the trust state specifically refers to things,but also lose convincingly,blindly belive.The most common in China is about ghost.The idea about ghosts is produced in the process of human cognition in long-term.Especially people meet some phenomenons that they can’t explain.Supersition lacks of right view.I think the reason of it is fear,ignorance,

This reply was deleted.