2014b: Week 7b: 23 October 2014

(1) Discussion: Superstitions

(2) Answers to random questions (if time permits)

P.S. Liu Yufan, pse remember we will have a video lesson in Week 8 on Tuesday, 28 October. Kindly find out whether we can get a media room for that class. Thank you.

13 - W7b - Discussion - Superstition.pdf

13 - W7b - Discussion - Superstition audio.mp3

13 - W7b9b - Random questions.odt

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Haha, Zhou Yuqi, are those all Chinese superstitions?! Wow, then it is much worse than I thought (and seen myself)! I'm not sure that one can describe it as mysterious; I'd rather refer to it as foolish things which people believe in because they are uneducated and ignorant. It would really surprise me a lot if there are many students today who still have superstitions as today's students have much more knowledge as their predecessors and they should know superstitions are actually false beliefs due to lack of scientific knowledge and ignorance. Would you agree?! :)

• Good afternoon John !I have known the content of the next class.To be honest,I'm a superstitions person. For example,I will pray before the exam for test a good result, I don't want anyone to say to me about death or evil,I don't like to see a black cat in the darkness of night, and so on a series of superstition.I know superstition is wrong, but I still believe it, may be in my heart I 'm afraid of a bad thing to happen to superstition.In fact, as long as we become good, we wouldn't be superstition. In my opinion, because I don't have enough strength and excellence. I will try to every day. Become a person who don't fear superstition.Looking forward to the next class!See you!

• Wow Pauline, you didn't share that with us in today's class! Now I know I should have gone through the comments already yesterday and then I would have known! But you surprise me much about praying before an exam ... China is not famous for being religious. In fact, China is known as an atheist country (communism=atheism). So, when you say you pray, who do you pray to? You can't pray to your ancestors, because they're dead. You can't pray to the government, because they are not gods and they also can't hear your prayers or make it come true. Buddhists pray to Buddha, Muslims pray to Allah (or Mohammed), the Christians pray to God through Jesus Christ, the Hindus pray to thousands of gods, the Mormons pray to Mormon, etc ... but to whom do the Chinese people pray then? I would like to know. :)

• Hellow,John.I have read the content about next class.I listened the news.Next class,we will read an essay about people and supersitious.And have a discuss about it.About supersitious,to be honest,I am a little supersitious.And I believe the snake is mysterious.And we will learn new words.See you tomorrow,sir.
    • So, you have superstitions, Wang Shuaitian?! But you forgot to share it with the class today (okay, maybe you shared it with Jackie)! I guess you must then be afraid of the snake, right? So, what do you do when you see a snake - run away?! And if the snake slithers across your path, you go home?!

• Hello,teacher,I have read some things about the next class.In the next class,we will learn about "Superstitions".In fact,I am not a supertitious person.But I know some supertitions about my country.Geomantic omen is the most popular superstition until now. It means proper location of house, grave, placing furniture or something important. Many people, especially traditional businessmen believe good geomantic omen will lead to luck and fortune. They invite the geomantist to give them directions and pay a lot of money on those geomantic activites. Another one I want to introduce is fortune-telling. Many people believe some famous fortune-teller could give them hints of the future and help them to avoid disaster. Unfortunately, few of them is right and correct while most of fortune teller is cheater with purpose of gaining money. Besides,we will have a reading practise about supertitions,like a rabbit is a symbol of luck,don't give money away on Monday,13 is a unfortunate number and so on.And we will do some vocabulary practises from the reading.I know there are more supertitions that I haven't heard,so I am looking forward to having the next lesson to talk with classmates to know more about supertitions.See you tomorrow.
    • Thank you, Han Qing, for a good comment. I am glad to read that you too are not a superstitious person! Yes, during my time in China, I've noticed a lot of superstitions. And often I'll see the fortune tellers sitting along the streets waiting for their prey! I noticed them first in Shijiazhuang where there were many of them. I think it's because China is atheist, meaning they don't have God, and the people are looking for something or someone (like the dead ancestors!) to protect and help them. I have never heard of a geomantic omen or geomantist - I guess one only gets them in China! I think today's lesson was interesting, though some students told me that it was not an easy lesson. I hope they've still learned something, even if it was only one new word. :)

• Hello sir,we will meet each other soon.I have konw a new word - superstitinds,i never see it before i attand the class ,it is a hard word for me .It is meaningan irrational belief arising from ingnorance or fear.many phenomenon shows this word.such as a cat or a broken mirror.The artical about superstitions is so difficult ,I understand it even hard,I useed the dictionary many times,gap fill have some difficuties ,and i will try my best to do it.see you next class
    • Tina, do you mean the word, "superstitions"? I'm sorry to hear that you found the article very difficult. You must remember, it is now the second semester together and the level should become a little more difficult. But I am happy to read that you used the dictionary many times. It shows me that you have prepared for the class. Thank you for that. 

And your description of the word superstition is a very good one ... "an irrational believe arising from ignorance or fear". Do you have a superstition? I'll hear from you in class on Thursday. Thank you for the first comment. ;-)

This reply was deleted.