2014b: Week 7b: 23 October 2014

(1) Discussion: Superstitions

(2) Answers to random questions (if time permits)

P.S. Liu Yufan, pse remember we will have a video lesson in Week 8 on Tuesday, 28 October. Kindly find out whether we can get a media room for that class. Thank you.

13 - W7b - Discussion - Superstition.pdf

13 - W7b - Discussion - Superstition audio.mp3

13 - W7b9b - Random questions.odt

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Good morning, Jon I think that superstition and some are to be believed, not all superstition is not good, some superstition can make people strong willed, give people the moral constraints, is people's spiritual sustenance. Let a person to believe that God exists, I believe that God exists.

• Well Li Fengxian, you have to differentiate between superstition and religion - the two are not the same thing. So, don't mix them up!

Superstition is based on false beliefs based on people's fears as they need protection and even "good luck" in life, and as they have no religion, they replace it by superstitions (rituals to address their fears and desires).

Whereas religion is a system of beliefs in, and worship of a supernatural power, because people have a natural (born with that) tendency to worship or acknowledge something or someone that created them and our universe.

The Buddhists believe that person is Buddha, the Muslims believe that that is Allah (or Mohammed), the Christians believe it is God through Jesus Christ; etc.

Most superstitious people are not really religious people, or my experience is that they have a false religion where they don't really believe their god can protect them and have supernatural powers; so, they are also superstitious to help them against their unbelief (which, of course, they wouldn't admit).

But I am surprised that you say that you believe in God as you are Chinese and most Chinese people don't, as they have been taught as children that God doesn't exist (that's what atheism falsely proclaims). So, I guess somewhere on your road of life your eyes opened to a truth of life!

• Good evening,teacher.According to your early reply,now I find that the Mozilla Firefox broser can open this website.Although I still can not open these attachments,I can write a comment on my own computer now.The day before this,half of our classmates can only write their comments by using HouYan's computer.It is very troublesome,so maybe some of us (include me)didn't write very good comments.Now I am happy to use my computer!I have told my classmates,some of them succeed using this broser to give a comment.^_^
    About tomorrow's class,we will talk about the topic of superstition.I think China has many superstitions.In the long history,people made up many legends which includes some superstitions.For example,when a kid lose his tooth,the parents will throw his tooth on to the roof.And when people get marrige,they will use a stone to press a red paper on the cover of the well.This is because peope think there may be bad luck under the well.I actually don't believe in these things,but my grandmother and grandfather think that these things have some reasons.Maybe there exist some reasons in the world.I am too young,after all.May be there are many magical things that I can't see .But I believe that if one live himself normally and didn't do something terrible,there is nothing for him to be scare for. We can avoid these unlucky things,but don't need to be afriad of them,I think. By the way,I will order the media room tomorrow afternoon.Then I will text you a message and tell the students. Good night teacher!
    computer.it
    • Thank you, Liu Yufan, for a very good comment! You have impressed me much today! And thank you for explaining about the problem with the computers and the website. I realize that had probably a contributor to the under-average comments of the last few weeks. Glad to hear that at least you can all get on to the website from your own computers. But as you mentioned, the problem with Firefox is that it still doesn't open the attachments and you can't view the pictures. I can do that with Internet Explorer. 

About the superstitions, I am glad to read that you are not a superstitious person! During my five years in China I've noticed so many superstitions. And I am quite surprised by that as China is not a religious country as they mostly don't believe in God (communism is atheist). But they have superstitions! It's my submission that that is a sign that they actually need God, but as they have rejected Him, they need something else to replace Him. Sad, but it maybe true. You can tell me in class what you think about this.

Oh, btw, why are you not in bed yet ...? Do you know how late it is?! ;-)

• Hi,teacher.I amn't a supertitious person,but my grandmother is,she believes the exist of the Buggha.I didn't like the supertitious person when I was young,because I think it's foolish habit to believe something which is not exist.But now,I changed my views.My grandmother is a supertitious,she believes if she always be kind to everybody,the Bubbha can be known and bring the luck and happiness to her,the Bubbha will give a hand to people who is in need. When my grandmother feel sad or depress,she rely on the spirit of the Buggha.
    • CC, what is that thing, "the Buggha"??? Never heard of it! Are you sure you don't mean 'the Buddha'? If that is what you meant, it has nothing to do with superstition, I believe. Buddhism (as started by Buddha) is a religion (which I don't support, but that is not the point here). But I do know that Buddhism is known as a very friendly and kind religion and its followers are known as doing good to people - that's why it is so attractive to westerners. However, that the Buddha can help people, leaves much to be desired (meaning, one can question it), because Buddha is a dead god and exists only as (a) statue(s) that people worship (and temples - which are just mere buildings). How can a dead god do miracles? I think it is all in the people's minds! So, I don't think your grandma is superstitious; she is just religious and she believes her religion helps her through life. ;-)

•  Good evening,John.The topic of tomorrow's class is superstition.I'm not a superstitious people,but my grandmother is.Generally,old people is always superstitious.My grandmother always tell me some old superstitious storys and some old belif and customs.But It's unbelievable that her guss is always right.I still think it's just coincidences.One day,science will explain everything.
    • Yes Nancy, older people are often right about their feeling on some issue, but I also believe it is not because of some magical powers (or whatever). I think it is only because they have the life experience and often know better. We used to say in the west that "wisdom comes from the greyness" (meaning a person with grey hair is usually old and have much wisdom from life). But, I have to admit, there are exceptions and I often experience occasions where older people still have the foolish believes of the past just because that was how they grew up and were taught. :)

• Hello teacher.I know we have a discuss about superstitions.I think I am not a superstitious person.But I still have heard some superstitions.For example,left eye jump wealth ,the right eye jump disaster.In my opinion, fear and ignorance is the fundamental cause of superstitions.I had heard a superstition,clover is a symbol of luck.The first leaf is for love,the second leaf is for health,the third leaf is for glory,the forth leaf is for wealth.I like this topic.See you.
    • I think your opinion is absolutely correct, Yan Jingping, that superstitions are the result of fear and ignorance. You are so clever! But, have you ever thought about why people choose to be superstitious when they need protection (fear) and "good luck" in their lives? Ask Liu Yufan, I think she knows (i.e. if she believes the teacher!).

This reply was deleted.