2014b: Week 7a: Tuesday, 21 October 2014

(1) Music lesson: Rolling in the Deep by Adele

P.S.

1. Sorry that I can't upload the music file here as it is 8.75MB and the limit here is 7MB.

2. Sound: Liu Yufan, is it possible to bring your sound system to class again, pse? Can you download this song for us, or should I bring my USB memory stick to the class? Pse let me know if you need that. Thank you.

(2) Developing fluency: Write down polemical statements for discussion in small groups.

Rolling inthe Deep - S.pdf

13 - W7a - Developing fluency.docx

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• What do you think about the lyrics of the song, Mary? Do you agree that when your bf has scarred your heart you should have revenge on him? Don't you think relationships are too complicated to be involved in them? Okay, I guess I have to ask you tomorrow in class to get your answers. ;-)

• Hello,teacher!It's time to comment on the content of the next class.To begin with,what makes me excited is that we'll listen to a song called Rolling in The Deep,i have ever listened before.Then,we need to think about what the song tells about,what's more,we'll do some interpretations.After that,we'll have a discussion about a failed relationship and how to deal with it.Additionally,we'll do some grammer practice about "could have done".In a word,i'm looking forward to attending the next class!

• Do you understand the grammar principle, Maxine, about 'could have' when you mean you "do not have it all, but could have had", or could have done something when you didn't? I guess they taught you in high school about that; so, we can go briefly over the grammar and rather discuss the lyrics. I guess you would agree, right?! :)

• Hello,teacher.I have listened to the song.《Rolling in the Deep》 is sang to a British pop singer Adele.It is one of the most successful singles in the world. The song is filled with anger, revenge, heartbreak, and introspective mood,From the musical span of the song,we can clearly fell the love broken struggle and heartbroken.And as for me,the symptoms of being heartbroken is crying, loss of appetite, anger,and difficult to fall asleep.If he cheats me,I will not want revenge and I will run away from him.Falling in love with him is your own choice,so you have to put up with the pain brought by the result of this choice.However,you should not think it all the time,if you do that,you will pain and fell sadness and despair.You need to learn how to forget it and live happily.
    adele.it
    • Good comment, thank you, Ada. And you're right that when one chose somebody, the choice is not only for the good times, but the bad also. We use to say in English, "if you made the bed, you must lie on it". But of course there are limitations to the 'bad' - a husband should always treat his wife with the necessary respect and never ever lifts his hand against her (and never cheat on her). It is difficult to see what a bf would be like, because the problem with the bf is that they always put the best foot in front (I know!) and you never know what he would be really like until married to him! But I guess revenge should never be an option; maybe one should forgive and continue ... but for how long?!

• This is the first comment of this semester.I am sorry that I can't go to the class for a long time.For the next class,we will listen to a song named Rolling in the Deep.The song is singed by Adele released 2010.And we will write down our interpretations,then compare our answers in pairs.Next,we will discuss some questions.One of them is about"What impact does a failed relationship have on people and what are usual symptoms of being heartbroken?"For this,I reckon that the failed relationship can make a person feel sad or even depressed because a good relationship is important to anyone of us.And then we will focus on grammar "could have"and use it to complete some sentences for practicing.Looking forward to the next lesson.See you tomorrow.

• Han Qing! Very happy to see that you are back with us! Hope you are fine now?! Thank you for your first comment then.

The song is 'sung' by Adele. Yes, everyone of us want good relationships and relationships that work. Unfortunately this song is about a relationship that didn't work; but the sad part is that she now seeks revenge ... and that's not good!

• Good evening,teacher! I can take the sound system to the class,of course!And I can download the song,too.It is easy,so don't worry.   After seeing the attachment ,I have known that the noext class we will listen a song.Rolling in the deep is a famous song in China recently because of its melody.Adele's voice is attractive,too.Then we will learn a grammer"could have" which means something you didn't have but that was possible.Looking forward to enjoy this beautiful song in the next class.
    PS, I have a little suggestion.Could we change the date which we recite the news to Tuesday? I think this semester we have more classes than the last one.And our computers are more difficult to open the website now.We don't know why.I asked Tony but he didn't have a solution,either.The news update on Tuesday.So I think if we move the date to Tuesday,we can have one week to prepare.If we do it on Thursday,we can only have one night to prepare for it.It is a little hurry for us now.So maybe you can have a think of this suggestion.Thanks,teacher!
    See you then!
    • Liu Yufan, I am writing to you again about your class' performance here on the website. I am really not satisfied with what I see (except those two students whom I have mentioned to you last time). Take for instance this lesson: There were two parts, but not ONE (including those two students) of you have mentioned the second part about "Developing fluency" through the use of polemical statements. If they looked at that part of the lesson, they would have come to class yesterday and they would have known what a polemical statement was AND they would have known what statements/sentences they should have written down. It was clear to me that the class didn't know anything about the second part of the lesson. I am unhappy with that.

If this tendency continues, I can assure you that your class will again get bad semester grades from me (like last semester), maybe even worse than last time. You know I like you and your class, but you should know me by now ... I am NOT going to give out marks for free. Only students who deserve it (in my eyes) will get the grades they deserve. Please convey this message to your class. I hope your class will improve their performance on this website in particular. Thank you.

• Thank you for the sound, Liu Yufan. And I am happy to see that you make some suggestions too! Of course we can move the News by Tara as it doesn't really matter which day we do it; as long as we do it. So, we can do it on Tuesdays from now on. Or, if your class is not prepared for the news tomorrow, we can still do it on Thursday this week and then from next week on Tuesdays? You can decide and tell me tomorrow in class. ;-)

This reply was deleted.