2014b: Week 7a: Tuesday, 21 October 2014

(1) Music lesson: Rolling in the Deep by Adele

P.S.

1. Sorry that I can't upload the music file here as it is 8.75MB and the limit here is 7MB.

2. Sound: Liu Yufan, is it possible to bring your sound system to class again, pse? Can you download this song for us, or should I bring my USB memory stick to the class? Pse let me know if you need that. Thank you.

(2) Developing fluency: Write down polemical statements for discussion in small groups.

Rolling inthe Deep - S.pdf

13 - W7a - Developing fluency.docx

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello, teacher. Now I am preparing for giving the comment. First, I must make an apology for my late last class. I feel so sorry that we had disturbed you . And we are lucky indeed with your forgive so that we had finished that class smoothly. Of course I (we) ensure that it won’t be happen any longer. Thank you teacher.
    • Next class ,we will listen to a song called ROLLING IN THE DEEP.I had listened it in senior high school. Just before the Gaokao, everyone of us feel pressed. The video of my school play many kind of music in the break time. We can’t helped but listened because it always played the same few songs for a long time, including the music ROLLING IN THE DEEP. But we listened to the melody merely not the deep meaning .So I searched for it on the Internet ,It published in 29th,nov.2010 by Adele who is an English female singer. Her album was so popular that it was clicked and downloaded to the top .It bailment the singer’s feeling –love and hate in the bottom of her heart. Her MV tell a scene of a woman was dumped by her ex-boyfirend . She lonely ,heart-broken and hard to extricate herself . The man who are dancing is her inner struggle, the broken plate is her broken heart, She sitting in an empty room lonely. Expressed out her inner pain and struggle by dancing .By comprehending it ,we could figure out it’s theme and even touch the soul of Adele.
    • Kelly, you were not late in class. You arrived exactly when the music sounded. If you came in after that (like the other student), I would have asked you too to leave. So, you don't owe me an apology.

About your comment, what do you mean by the word, "bailment" ("It bailment the singer's feeling"...). Good reference though to her inner struggle further on, and the interpretation of her broken heart. Yes, this was a damaging relationship that hurt her much and left her heartbroken and lonely (and full of revenge ..). Thanks for the comment.

• Hello,teacher.I have know the content next class.first,we will listen a song:rolling in the deep,by Adele,I have listened the song,it is so nice,but I have to say,I am confused with the song's lyrics,I find some information about this song in the computer,it says that a relationship about Adele and her former boyfriend,and people call this song "sad soul",and then we will focus on talking in pairs,it is about faied relationship and the feel of heartbreak,finally we will practice the grammer,about the form of COULD HAVE+perfect participle.That is all.see you.

• Yes Amy, you are right that the song is about a failed relationship. So, I am not sure why you say you are confused while you know the answer!

• Good evening  John ! l have known the content of the next class.We will have a nice class.l'm glad to listening the song called Rolling ln The Deep.The singer is Adele who is one of my favourite foreign singers.Her voice is beautiful. But the song was filled with sadness and revenge because her lover breaked her heart.And we will discuss the questions.In my opinion,there are always full of thorns in the life .We should become more and more stronger to face it.Looking forward to the next class.

questions.in - This website is for sale! - Questions Resources and Information.
    This website is for sale! questions.in is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of wh…
    • Yes Pauline, her lover 'broke' her heart. But you are right, life is full of thorns and through our experiences (walking into many thorns on our way!) we learn and get stronger.

•  Hello, John. Next time we are going to listen to a very nice song. The voice of singing is very high. About the meaning of this song, I was not particularly clear. Now read the lyrics, I know that she had been hurt by love of a woman, very sad, may want to revenge. I think that a person's heart was hurt performance, become angry or indifference. Want to give her enough love can make her forget the past, could cure her. Goodbye teacher, looking forward to next class.。 
    • Zhou Yuqi, what makes you think she was hurt by the love of a woman?! Do you think she is gay? I think she was hurt by a man and she wants to take revenge on a man. Why do you think it's a woman?!

• Hi,john,this is Ann.In the next class,first we will listen to a song of Adel.The song was sings to her lover who abandoned her and breaked her heart.And she feeled sad and angry.Then we will learn to use"could have done" when we want to to say that we didn't do something that was possible to complete sentences.

• Ann, her lover 'broke' her heart. And then she 'felt' sad. But it looks like you understand the grammar point about 'could have done something'. It's a very short lesson, but I use the songs to get the students to relax a little, but also to let them practice their listening while reading the lyrics. I think if one can't see the lyrics, the words of many songs are unclear and it wouldn't really assist one's language studies. The lyrics are important.

This reply was deleted.