2014b: Week 11a: Tuesday, 18 November

(1) Music lesson: The Rose by Westlife/Bette Midler

P.S. Liu Yufan, may I ask you to bring your sound system to class, please?!

(2) Enjoy English: The Adoption

Do yourselves the favour and check out this website as I'll refer to it during the lesson: www.halfthesky.org

P.S. Oh, and don't forget to listen to Tara's News bulletin!

The Rose - S.pdf

The Rose(1979).mp3

13 - W11a - The Adoption.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Nancy. I have much sympathy with you. Thank you for trying again for the third time. But do you know what? It happened to me too, although only once tonight (so far). I have nearly finished Cao Hualin's reply and then my whole piece disappeared ... Needless to ay, I was very annoyed. And it happens often to me on the website. I now save my comments before I post it on the website because it happens too frequently with me (just a pity I couldn't save Cao Hualin's comment before it disappeared!). So, don't feel lonely; I was also a victim tonight! And I've just saved this paragraph before going on!

About the news, they discriminated against her because of other teachers before her from her country that had been involved in alcoholism (probably men!). That's the reason they gave for not considering her job application. But I think they lied as there probably was another reason. I think you mentioned it (the Irish accent which is not your standard English accent), but that would have been too controversial to reveal, I think.

Yes, those lyrics are beautiful and the song is always touching my heart. You've singled out two very moving lyrics: if one is always afraid that one's heart can be broken, one would find it difficult to give everything and would always be holding back something of one's heart; and one should be prepared to take risks and live out one's dreams. So, we should live our lives to the full! And if it should happen that there would be a broken heart or a chance that was missed, one should have the peace of mind that if was still worth it as one gave one's best! But remember, it doesn't mean that there shouldn't be boundaries ... All relationships have boundaries - it starts with respect. And when the time is right, the relationship can become a marriage and that deeper love may be awakened ... Those who do not wait, will regret it forever (though they may never admit it). Haha, I'm giving you deep advice here (maybe because I feel like a father to those very special daughters I have in your class!). ;-)

• Good evening,teacher. I have known the content of the next class.First,we will share the new.Second,we will listen to The Rose,and the song be sung by weastlife.I have heard the song.It has been popular for many years, until there are people who listen to it today.It is the "The Rose" the piece postlude.In my opinion,love is the dangerous thing.Love is one of the most beautiful things in the world, but it is easy that love make person get injured.Love not only give people hope and happiness, but also makes people depressed and sad.I am looking forward the next class.See you tomorrow.
    SONG.IT
    • Yes Cao Hualin, this song has been around for quite a few years. It was composed in 1977 and the released in 1979, if I am correct. It is one of my all-time favourite songs. I guess you are right that love is not only one of the most beautiful things in the world, but it can also be dangerous ... especially when it is awakened before its time! Nowadays we notice that in most relationships, as the partners think they have the same rights as married couples (one of Hollywood's lies, amongst others). But what they don't get told, is that it would always ruin the marriage or the next relationship, or at least have a negative effect on it. So, people should treat love with respect, I believe. Btw, you didn't comment on the second part of the lesson. I hope you have had a look at it and don't get a surprise in the class tomorrow ...

• Good evening teacher.About the topic we will take I have many  opinions.As far as I'm concerned, love is a hunger.although it canl  bring people happiness and suffering ,most of us still choose to belive it.The most wonderful things in the world, one of them  is  when the one you love, taking  your hand! Love should be like sunshine always around you, let you feel warm and bright, not limt you.This is the difinition of love in my heart. About the second topic ,I think that the girl should have a meet with her real parents .Because they gave her life.But they don't take their responsibility.So she should go on live with her adopter.That's all.Thank you.

• Maybe you are right about what love is and what wonderful feelings it brings to those involved, Zhou Ying. But I think part of this song is about a deeper love than the love between lovers. Love between lovers is often selfish and often one (or sometimes both) only wants to get his (or her) own way. It often happens when the boy's physical needs get too strong and he would manipulate or lure his lover into submitting to his needs. And often that is where it goes wrong and the girl sits with the problem and the rejection. Selfless and unconditional love isn't like that; but unfortunately that kind of love is very scarce. I seldom see it in the relationships of today.

• Hello,John.I listened to the song just now.I think it is a very impressive song.This song describes the different words of love.Perhaps people choose to love each in a different way.I think love is the warmest thing in the world no matter what they do.I find the original singer of this song on the Internet is a very ugly woman.It is hard to imagine a very ugly woman can sing so emotional.Looking forward to next class,see you!
    Woman.it
    • Mary, who is that woman you are referring to? The original singer isn't so ugly; maybe you got the wrong person! Btw, you didn't comment on the second part of the lesson. Did you forget, or didn't you find the time to go through that too? Yes, maybe love is the warmest thing in the world, but if their was more selfless love in the world, there wouldn't have been orphans in the world without adoptive parents, and children would not have been abandoned by their parents ...

• Hello,teacher!It is the time that I should give my reply on the website.I have read your reply and the content of the next class.We will listen to a song named"the Rose"sung by the singer westlife.I have listened to another song of the singer,called"My Love",which is also about love and is pleasant.As the song goes,"love is a flower,and you,it's only seed".We all will find our true love that nothing can compare with,though I haven't found yet,I deeply believe that.Some say love,it is a river that drowns the tender reed,some say love,it is a razor that leaves your soul to bleed.Yes,there not always sweetness in the love,I think that the true love is that when knowing the other's shortcomings,they will chose to tolerate each other instead of breaking their relationship.Most of my roomates have found their true love,I hope they can love each other forever!In a word,I'm looking forward to the next class!
    • Maxine, Westlife is not a singer; if I understand correctly, they are a group! But the love the song is about doesn't only represent the love between lovers, but also another, deeper love - the selfless love this world lacks. Love that will put other people first, and not only one's lover and parents and siblings. If there was more of that love in today's world, then there wouldn't have been a second lesson for tomorrow's class. Btw, I notice that both you and Mary haven't commented on the second part. So, you would be only half-prepared ...

• Hellow,John.I have read the conent.about the next class.First,we will bigen with the news that about a teacher refuse a job because of alcoholism.Then we will listen a song named Rose.In my opinion,Love is the candy ,it is sweet.People who fall in love will be happy,although there are misunderstands between them.If one people really love the other one.He can understand her,although the active of the girl is not always right.I do not think it is very tired when you love a purson,to the contry they are happy.That is the love's glamour,and the reason why too many people look forword the love.And about the story.I think she can meet her biological perants and do not abandon the adopt perent.They all love her very much.See you tomorrow,sir.
This reply was deleted.