2014b: Week 11a: Tuesday, 18 November

(1) Music lesson: The Rose by Westlife/Bette Midler

P.S. Liu Yufan, may I ask you to bring your sound system to class, please?!

(2) Enjoy English: The Adoption

Do yourselves the favour and check out this website as I'll refer to it during the lesson: www.halfthesky.org

P.S. Oh, and don't forget to listen to Tara's News bulletin!

The Rose - S.pdf

The Rose(1979).mp3

13 - W11a - The Adoption.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Kelly, you shouldn't only 'read' the news, you should actually 'listen' to it as that is the main purpose of the exercise! But about the abandoning of children ... do you really, really believe there is any valid reason for abandoning one's child, your own flesh and blood ...? So, parents can't be cruel-hearted? I'm not sure about the validity of that saying! Even if the Chinese traditional culture says something is truth, it still doesn't convince me that it is the 'real' truth (maybe only in Chinese eyes). Too many Chinese parents are abandoning their children for a variety of reasons (all invalid, if you ask me) to make that Chinese traditional saying true ... What does a parent's heart look like who abandons their own flesh and blood ...?

Oh, and about the "duty to pay back" ... That is another false belief among many people, as far as I am concerned, Kelly. Is that also due to a traditional Chinese cultural belief? True love never expects anything back. True love is unconditional even if one doesn't get anything in return? Do parents really love their children unconditionally when they expect them to "give back" one day? I am not convinced, Kelly. ;-)

• hi ,john ,this is ann. in the next class, first we will listen to a music called THE ROSE singed by westlife,it is about love, someone who was ever hurted by others may don't want to believe love and regards it as razor or pain ,but we still should trust the existing of love , try our best to find it and believe we will surely find it. and we will practice function: in defining relative clauses we use who or that to refer to people and which or that to refer to things. then learn to use the+adjective to name people,like the lucky refer to people who are lucky, and the pour refer to people who have little money. last is a story about a girl' problem when she knew she was not the real child of her parents.
    • Ann, why did you do your comment four times? I understood that even after the first time; so, one time is okay with me! Did you listen to the song I have uploaded here? Are you sure that was by Westlife?! Now that you know about the deeper love the lyrics of "the Rose" are talking about, do you think that the girl would have had such a problem of deciding between her adoptive parents and her biological parents who'd abandoned her before, if this love was in the hearts of her real parents? Okay, if you don't have time to reply, you can tell me tomorrow.

• Hello,teacher.Next class,we will listen to a very nice song named The Rose sung by WestLife.I knew WestLife because of their another two very pretty songs named My Love and Seasons in the Sun.I think their voices are very beautiful.As for this song,I reckon that it is about love.Some say love it is a river,that drowns the tender reed;Some say love it is a razor,that leaves your soul to bleed;Some say love it is a hunger and endless aching need.But I think love is a very positive thing that can make one person to be better and better.If we can understand the truth of love,we will benefit from it.For us,love is not just means romantic and always be together,but always think for each other what is the best choice.Like the lyrics said,"Lies the seed that with the sun's love,in the spring,becomes the rose".Next,we will do the Enjoy English about The Adoption.Oh,and we will do the news next class!See you later.

Untitled Document
    • You are right that love is not only about romance, Han Qing. Love - and also the love this song is referring to, I believe - is much deeper than romantic love. Love really is to give unconditionally of oneself so that the other one will be in a better position than oneself. But of course, the world doesn't see much of that kind of love. Most of the love we see in this world is selfish and most people only love when they know they can get something, or benefit by that love. That is not true love, or real love. And when there is more real love, there wouldn't any longer be orphans without adoptive parents, and no more abandoned children ...

• Good evening, John. First, we need to repeat the news next class. Then we will listen to a song from Westlife, I think this song is very nice. And the lyrics is very beautiful. "I say love,it is a flower And you it is only seed" the lyrics is very beautiful. But I think love is two people support each other, in order to each other can become better people. Next time we are going to listen a story, a little girl is freaking if she should meet her biological parents. If I were the little girl, I will meet my biological parents , I will ask them why they had abandoned me, and I will live with my adopitive parents. Because adopitive parents are very kind, and in this years, girls and adoptive parents have emotion deeply. If the girl abandoned the adoptive parents, parents will be very sad. The girl should be thankful to the adoptive parents. Next lesson we will learn "who. Which. What. That" word’ use method. It is all . good-bye teacher.。
    • Zhou Yuqi, you may be right about your idea about love, but I think the love this song is telling about is much deeper than just the love between a woman and a man. There is a proverb that says, "Love covers a multitude of sins"; it means that when one really love other people unconditionally, even when they do wrong and offend you, you still love them .. but of course, that is not easy, but I believe that is what love was meant to be. If the world have more of that kind of love, there wouldn't be more orphans walking around without adoptive parents, and children wouldn't be abandoned any longer. But of course, we don't live in a perfect world ...

• Hello,teacher.I  have already listened to the song and it sounds very gentle,also like a river that drowns the tender reed.I think the power of love is strong,so it can nourish the heart and let people full of desire.Love is a double-edged sword,s it makes people surffering.And if we don't konw how to love,we will heart someone.But we still believe love is a good thing,it always drive in the long river of time,give us happiness and love.About adopting a child,it really need courage,responsibility and love.If I were Tiffany,I met with them.After all,they are her parents,maybe she can finger out what happened that year.While maybe the thing of past is not important,more important is what you own now.Adoptionment is a sad thing,but think activitly,your real parents gave your life,then your adoptive parents gave your love,then your have more.This is also a kind of luck.

• I agree, Hou Yan, that if we love others, we may be hurt sometimes as the other one may reject us or say something rude, or may even die. But if we are not afraid of taking that risk of loving others, it would bring us indescribable joy and happiness too. However, if there was more of that unselfish love in this world, Tiffany would not have had to get adoptive parents ... You said Tiffany should meet her biological parents and then she can have more love ... do you really think her parents would suddenly start loving her if she wasn't good enough to love when she was two years old? Why do you say adoption is a sad thing? I guess you mean because there is a child without real parents and as she became an orphan or got abandoned, she has to be adopted by other parents? I think adoption is an honourable practice and gives other parents the opportunity to adopt a rejected child and give that child the love she has been denied up to the adoption. Adoption is a lifeline to abandoned children and orphans.

• The rose ,I love it very much .It is very beautiful and smell fragant.It is so imagical and dangerous.It has so many stabs but it is so sweet.It means love and loyal.If we keep away from loving somebody just because hurt .I think rose is favourite for me.In my view, even love is so important ,we need sense about it.If I love someone ,I will try my best to love him .but one day if we have to say goodbye to each other .I think i will be clam to face it.the next part about adopting parents and biological parents .I will choose the adopting parents.Because the adopt me.IN my life,every day belong to them .They give me the second life .I can go on my life just because of them .I love them and apricate them .They are my real parents.I will choose them.
This reply was deleted.