Be a Newscaster (2011)

[Note: With almost 10,000 comments here we have decided to start a NEW thread for 2012.  Please join us at Be a Newscaster 2012!]

Every Tuesday English Club publishes a weekly news report. There is a self study exercise to go with the story.

You can practise your speaking by recording your voice as you read the transcript. Upload your report in the comments below by using a program like Audioboo, or by recording it on your computer and using the paperclip above to upload the MP3 file. You can share your recording each week.

You can also record yourself answering the discussion question. Have fun!

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Pleasant and  nice Mayumi  well done :)
    • Great Mayumi! Thanks for coming back each week. 

A few notes:

• Say 5' 10" like this: five foot ten 
      • Make sure the "u" in bus is pronounced as /ʌ/ as in "up". Otherwise it sounds like "bass", a kind of fish.
      • The "i" in zipper is pronounced with an /I/ sound as in "ship"
    • Hi Ms. T! Thank you so much for correcting me..

• Hi Mayumi, 

Great! Your pronunciation of "bus" is perfect now. You are right. It is just a subtle difference, and it can be hard to correct if you've been saying it differently for many years.  

The word "zipper" still sounds a bit like zeeper to me. Try practising these word pairs:

zip/ zipper

sip/sipper

skip/skipper

(BTW-My husband says "zipper" in a funny way. He says "sipper" unless I tease him. He also pronounces "Zack" (boy name) as "sack". He can pronounce /z/ properly at the beginning of a word, but it takes effort, so he typically subsititues with the /s/ sound. He's a native speaker. )

• Hi Ms. T...I found something :)...

Zipper has to say quickly in the first syllable.

• HI Mayumi ....Well done ...........Wonderful story I really liked it and I also liked the way you spoke specially while narrating the story ,it was very natural ........I will also tell u and other a story about a conman soon.................BYE
    • Ahh Narendra you're just saying that! I knew I messed up my tenses there, hehehe.

But anyway, thanks buddy for giving me a tap in my shoulders as always...

Hmm, I want to hear your story too, where is it now? C'mmon, you don't want me to wait, do you? hehehe...(I'm a little impatient, you know!)

• Discussion Question
    • Poor Old Lady! Fortunately, the police managed to found this thief.

Narendra! Narendra!  Wow! What can I say! Two thumbs up to you my friend for the great narration of the story. :) Please tell us another one next time.

• Hello everybody.............
This reply was deleted.