Life without Television

TVThere have been a few points in my life when I have attempted to live without television. In general, these have been the best times of my life. I often wonder what life was like for people before the invention of "the tube". If I lived alone, I would never own a TV. The only show I ever truly enjoy is Oprah. She is going off the air. Perhaps she already has.Here are the times I lived without TV:1. First year university (I lived in a dorm with 6 girls and none of us wanted a TV. We were the only dorm without one and students always came by for great conversations and beverages. We often played cards or Risk.)2. Final year university (My roommate and I used to watch TV when we did our laundry. We both had no use for TV at home. There was too much work to do. Spare time was for dancing. )3. When I lived alone for 6 months in a bachelor pad in Vancouver I was TVless. My living room was my kitchen and bedroom and office. Choosing to have no TV was the best part of living alone.4. We have a TV, but we are testing what it will be like to have a summer without using it. My children can still watch movies, but so far they haven't missed the programming. My husband misses his sports and news, but the Internet is very useful. I'm thankful for the World Cup updates from all of you!I wonder if we'll ever hook up TV service again. Life without TV is so much richer.Have you tried living without a TV? Share your experience!

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dear Tara, as an English learner, TV has played a major role in my life. I pretty learned English with TV. First, when I was in my home country, I always watched Oprah and wished that one day I can understand her well. Despite the fact that I couldn't understand her whole talks, I kept listening. Then, I immigrate to Canada and once again, TV helped me so much and I improved my listening and speaking with it. I have watched some movies or comedy shows many many times that I know every scene so well. however, I just watch some special programs like documentaries, comedy shows and news. I could get familiar with the Canadian culture as well.

Some of the comedy shows are really interesting like "Big Bang Theory." I don't know if you have seen it. However, it's brodcasted every Thursday on CTV channel at 8pm. The story is about 4 Ph.D students who live in an apartment and a very beautiful easygoing girl is their neighbour. Every episode something happens to them and it's bloody funny. hahahahaha..

It was really difficult for me to understand what they were talking because "Sheldon" ,who is a geek, explains every simple things from a scientific perspective. The way he talks is not easy at all. So, I always test how much I don't know about English with these shows. Now, I pretty can get what they say. But, I still should work on my vocab and idiom. Another great program is "Nature of Things". CBC TV and radio have great programs and I really love them. So, TV is really important for me as an English learner. 

• This reply was deleted.
    • Can you believe we are still living without TV? We got a new thing called "B
  • Hi. I experienced living without television when our city was hit by a storm. It took two weeks when the power or electricity was reconnected. The only means we had to get news or information was an old battery operated radio. It was only in awhile but at least me and my family focused more on how to get news and help each other out doing cleaning our home. Thanks for the information.
  • The new generations in Mexico and around the world, I guess use to live a life more comfortable than 50 years ago when the gas stove, the radio and TV were only for rich people in Mexico.

I've asked to myself, what would the new generations do without gas and electricity?
    I think it's something like a rich that becomes poor.
    maybe you are down with me.

God bless you
  • This reply was deleted.
    • I'm so glad you agree. These are great examples you provided! We are still living without TV! We almost hooked it up last week for football season, but held off again. A long winter is about to fall upon us, though. I'm sure someone in this family will call for a hook up soon, but it won't be me.
  • Thank you Tara,for this very interesting discussion!
    I agree with many of you in your experiencies with Tv,it's almost the same with me.
    For me Tv doesn't play a vital role in my life,I mainly watch the 7.30p.m.news in it,and it's a constant background noise for me(because of the other members in my family),which sometimes is badly bothering me.
    My husband is exactly the same,as Atika's,depending much more on Tv,as me.
    My children rather watch Disney cartoons on DVD-they have a hundreds of it,not to mention DORA&DIEGO&THOMAS,the engine!etc...I know some parts from heart,as they are able to watch one part for a hundredth time again and again!
    By the way,we lived during years without Tv,(ca.6 years)when we were working abroad-we watched German chanels sometimes-and we didn't missed it.
    I personally prefer net to Tv,but I don't think I can cut out the Tv from our life in the near future.
  • Very interesting perspective! Thanks for sharing.
    jose ramon said:
    Well, I can imagine my life without TV because as a child I didn't enjoy the benefits of electicity. I was born in 1961 and I didn't know about electricity still I was 12 or 13. Those days we had to light with a candle or a "quinque" and when I knew electricity, I thought it was amazing, but there was another problem, TV's were only for rich people, too bad!

So, if I had to live without TV, computer or whatever electrical appliance, it wouldn't be a problem for me, but I don't think that my 4 children say the same, hehehehehe!!!

God bless you all!!
    bye
  • I cannot imagine how horrible my life will be without TV!
    Well, yeah coz I'm addicted to talk shows and cartoons.
    Its just crap that TV Ads consume more time than the actual show.
    Hey! Nah ah ah... I' am no couch potato!
    I'm just..err..starting to be one.
    :)
  • Well, I can imagine my life without TV because as a child I didn't enjoy the benefits of electicity. I was born in 1961 and I didn't know about electricity still I was 12 or 13. Those days we had to light with a candle or a "quinque" and when I knew electricity, I thought it was amazing, but there was another problem, TV's were only for rich people, too bad!

So, if I had to live without TV, computer or whatever electrical appliance, it wouldn't be a problem for me, but I don't think that my 4 children say the same, hehehehehe!!!

God bless you all!!
    bye
  • hey Tara As i said before Tv is not important as Internet so now and for futur the best company is mobile or smart phone cuz you have inside evrithing such as tv , internet , msn facebook so no need tv anymore

Tara Benwell said:
    Can we think of some other alternatives for "company"? TV is great if it entertains you and informs you, but surely we shouldn't be using TV to keep us company. Any ideas?
This reply was deleted.